Gmail IMAP for the iPhone

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
Gmail IMAP for the iPhone

As an iPhone owner if you have a Gmail account, then the only way to access Gmail on your iPhone was through the browser, all you needed to do was go to m.gmail.com to get the full Gmail experience including conversation view, search, and more. However that was not the...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Han
    Han Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

huh.. i dont have fowarding and pop/imap, just fowarding and pop only

• Bill
    Bill Posts: 153
    via Wordpress

what's the difference with this and just adding your gmail account to the "mail" function on the iphone?

• Neil
    Neil Posts: 46
    via Wordpress
  • giveaphuk
    giveaphuk Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

this is great.. worth doing

• Dan
    Dan Posts: 348
    via Wordpress

Yeah, I'm not sure I understand what this does that's different from just setting up Gmail with the Mail app on the iPhone.

Anyone care to clarify?

• Neil
    Neil Posts: 46
    via Wordpress

when u have it the regular way, when you check your email on your phone it is then marked as read. when you go home to your gmail, its unread... this way when u check your mail on your phone, it marks the email on your computer as read....
    just do it. life will be better

• giveaphuk
    giveaphuk Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

yeh dan is right, & you also have access to your inbox/outbox/trash/drafts.. with everything updating dynamically as you move/trash mail..

• Jason
    Jason Posts: 585
    via Wordpress

Same issue gmails not giving me thouse options? Whats the deal?? Only pop no imap

• Jason
    Jason Posts: 585
    via Wordpress

For anyone that didnt know this. In my long standing gamil account I dont have the option for imap. Google help says this

"Why don't I have IMAP in my account?
    We're working hard to roll out IMAP access to all our users, but it'll take about a week.

To use IMAP, you must have your interface language set to 'English (US)'. You'll know that IMAP is available in your account when the Forwarding and POP tab in your settings becomes Forwarding and POP/IMAP.

Until then, thanks for your patience!

--Anyway their on it - comming soon

• Han
    Han Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Hey Jason, i had exactly the same problem yesterday when i checked my gmail. Interestingly enough, few hours after posting my comment, my "Fowarding and POP" tab became "Fowarding and POP/IMAP." So i guess if you just stick around for a bit more, you'll have it too.

• shadow
    shadow Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

I think it's a great idea, I was waiton for imap from day I started using GMail. And now I'm even more excited with my new iPhone. It's a great timing I must add.

• Michael
    Michael Posts: 316
    via Wordpress

I have an unlocked (using AnySIM software) Mac version 1.0.2 iPhone. I'm also using AT&T, but without the specifically signed-up for iPhone contract.

Here is my problem, I can seem to IMAP my Yahoo e-mail using the "mail" icon on the iPhone. I have successfully IMAP Gmail, but it gives a message of "Cannot Connect Using SSL" when I tried to configure Yahoo email. I tried using "other" instead of selecting "Yahoo" to set up the account. Once in the configuration screen on the iPhone for "incoming mail server" I put the host name of "imap.apple.mail.yahoo.com" and for "outgoing mail server (SMTP)" I put the host name "smtp.apple.mail.yahoo.com". Is either of the host names for incoming or outgoing servers wrong? Is there another name that might work? Is this a common problem if you have an unlocked iPhone, in that it won't sync with Yahoo mail?

Thanks for your help.

• Michael
    Michael Posts: 316
    via Wordpress

I have an unlocked (using AnySIM software) Mac version 1.0.2 iPhone. I'm also using AT&T, but without the specifically signed-up for iPhone contract.

Here is my problem, I can seem to IMAP my Yahoo e-mail using the "mail" icon on the iPhone. I have successfully IMAP Gmail, but it gives a message of "Cannot Connect Using SSL" when I tried to configure Yahoo email. I tried using "other" instead of selecting "Yahoo" to set up the account. Once in the configuration screen on the iPhone for "incoming mail server" I put the host name of "imap.apple.mail.yahoo.com" and for "outgoing mail server (SMTP)" I put the host name "smtp.apple.mail.yahoo.com". Is either of the host names for incoming or outgoing servers wrong? Is there another name that might work? Is this a common problem if you have an unlocked iPhone, in that it won't sync with Yahoo mail?

Thanks for your help.