Apple Finally Cuts The Cord With PC Free And Wi-Fi Sync Features In iOS 5; We’re Finally Ushering In

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageApple Finally Cuts The Cord With PC Free And Wi-Fi Sync Features In iOS 5; We’re Finally Ushering In The Post-PC Era

Apple has finally cut the cord with iOS 5 and iCloud, which were unveiled at yesterday’s WWDC 2011 Keynote.

After upgrading to iOS 5, you will no longer need to connect your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch to a computer to activate the iOS device or download iOS software updates or backup application data.

Apple is calling this new feature PC Free, which will finally usher us into the Post PC world. Apple has managed to cut the cord thanks to the following features:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Abel
    Abel Posts: 183
    via Wordpress
    Sounds great! I'm really looking forward to it.
  • iDre
    iDre Posts: 10
    via Wordpress
    My only concern with this is the jailbreak/unlock aspect. Would these OTA updates be automatic with/without an option to accept the update? If we don't have the option, our phones can update on it's own and kill whatever jailbreak/unlock we me have on the device. Am I right or am I just being too paranoid???
  • Ljs
    Ljs Posts: 14
    via Wordpress
    Yes that's an issue I was concerned With also!! And is the jailbreak gonna turn into an ota thing like jailbreakme.com was?
  • Rita
    Rita Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    Backing up our songs(not using iTunes) etc. and having Updates directly to my device, has been what I wanted for my iPod Touch for about 2 3/4 YEARS!!! All the problems of songs and Podcasts getting Deleted by Apple's iTunes was a headache! Other people and I have ideas to improve our experience of what We paid for and enjoy. Apple could Do these things(have now done most things), so then it would make things eaier and better for all. Now they're FINALLY Doing these things. Thank you for listening.
  • iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress
    MuscleNerd of the iPhone Dev Team has commented that OTA software update isn't a concern for jailbreaking:http://www.iphonehacks.com/2011/06/ios-5-already-jailbroken.html
  • Kiwiholden
    Kiwiholden Posts: 189
    via Wordpress
    Well I can see apple wanting till most ppl hav done the update to iOS 5 then pushing out a jailbreak breaking OTA update!If they were smart they would sneak in a time delay breaker in a update for other things
  • John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress
    Certain features of ios 5 will only work via wifi. The updates don't get pushed without your permission. It notifies you of an update and lets you choose when to download and install, just as it did with itunes.
  • John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress
    This was an issue with the music labels. They did not allow apple to give multiple downloads for songs we bought. The new negotiations allowed it and if you check your itunes purchase history, you'll see every song you've purchased from apple and can download them anytime free of charge.I found 11 songs that I had paid for and was missing from my collection so it was nice to get them back.
  • UhWhatsTheDeal
    UhWhatsTheDeal Posts: 6
    via Wordpress
    IS EVERYONE BLIND !!! OTA? Isn't that just another name for 'Big Brother'? 'Tha Cloud'??? What happens, folks, when it's sunny??? Hm, NO CLOUD !! I'm sorry to keep preaching but all this 'benevolence', 'ease of use' and segue away from the PC... mark my words, it ISN'T what we think it's going to be and it won't be good. You think Apple has controlling issues now? What do you think it's going to be like when they really ARE IN CONTROL ???????????????????????????????????
  • UhWhatsTheDeal
    UhWhatsTheDeal Posts: 6
    via Wordpress
    OH, and I forgot.... on the release day,iOS5, iPhone4s/5 whatever... the cloud will produce rain just like AT&T for the iPhone4 presale K R R R A S H !!
  • Mark
    Mark Posts: 267
    via Wordpress
  • Kiwiholden
    Kiwiholden Posts: 189
    via Wordpress
    He just needs a tinfoil hat to keep him safe from big bad apple
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    But still you have to rely on PC for jailbreaking. Can we expect OTA jailbreak ;p
  • Jason
    Jason Posts: 585
    via Wordpress
    i'm still running iOS 4.2.1 i havent been given a good enough reason to make the switch. This seams like it would tempt me but i'm not sold yet. I have a serious connection issue when i update my iOS software to 4.3.X. I'm running the original baseband of 1.59 but still seams like an issue. I'll update when those issues have been smoothed over.
  • Apel
    Apel Posts: 62
    via Wordpress
    What did they do today. Or should I say June 7. Was it like an off day or something?
  • Michael Lan
    Michael Lan Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    All the great features of iOS 5 require one thing, wireless internet. Unlike US, there are lots of countries without lots of Wi-Fi hotspot. For me in China, my iphone and ipad only way for internet is GPRS and 3G data plan. Sounds like the new iOS 5 and iCloud will eat up lots of traffic......
  • Doz (help make poverty history)
    via Wordpress
    Dev Team is way ahead of time in this functionality marathon. I tell you. All this over stated functionality is already in older ios platforms, i.e jailbroken of course. *regardless, help support the eradication of poverty...
  • NWOrDREGS
    NWOrDREGS Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    I have a iPhone4, with 4.3.3 firmware. I jailbroke it with Redsn0w. I won't upgrade to the spycloud. Cause that give Apple a chance to see everything you have on your device. I back up all my stuff on my external hard drive. Including apps. I agree with everyone about unjailbreaking their devices. Just Don't Do It! Don't upgrade. Uncheck that Update box on iTunes. It's not worth it.
  • NWOrDREGS
    NWOrDREGS Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    I agree with you. It'll probably unjailbreak the device. Once again...DON'T UPDATE!
  • Doz (help make poverty history)
    via Wordpress
    Absolutely, absolutely. I'd never ever, ever, ever update to the ios 5. That is a spy machine, ppl have no idea.! *regardless, help support the eradication of poverty and suppression.
  • Suppa
    Suppa Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    So why dont u Factory Unlock it without just Jailbreakin it?Worth the price, since updates are important :)