Apple To Enable FaceTime Video Calls Over 3G In iOS 5

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageApple To Enable FaceTime Video Calls Over 3G In iOS 5

FaceTime – Apple’s video calling feature for iPhone 4 users is currently restricted to work only over Wi-Fi in iOS 4.x.x.

Steve Jobs had mentioned during his keynote address at WWDC 2010 that Apple is in talks with carriers to support the feature on 3G as well.

It looks like Apple has managed to finally convince some of the carriers as folks at 9to5Mac have just reported that it will be possible to make FaceTime video calls over 3G.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Doz (help make poverty history)
    via Wordpress
    It doesn't make any sense. First, they put in FT without 3G use (and At&t dropped unlimited data). Now that they've added running FT on 3G, what if there's no wifi, won't the FT cause massive use of data on At&t's capped data which in turn results to massive amount of revenue for at&t on the overage fees. This is just stupid. jailbreakers stir clear of IOS 5. All this claimed functionality are nothing new to older ios users.*regardless, help support the eradication of poverty and suppression.
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    Data plans are gonna suffer on this.
  • Nightedge
    Nightedge Posts: 40
    via Wordpress
    OK guys, one thing you need to realize it's really up the GAY AT&T allowing us to use 3G with face-time. This is probably whats going to happen, we either PAY an extra fee to use it over the network, or we just not get it at all since according we are using way too much bandwidth and use jb app. While everyone else (this means other than at&t) gets to use it with no restrictions.
  • MKD
    MKD Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    I hope it goes through! but if not...another reason to stick with jailbreak!!
  • John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress
    Just because they enabled FT over 3g doesn't mean you have to use it. Use some common sense. IOS5 is an excellent update.
  • Jackie Smith
    Jackie Smith Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Enabling FT over 3g was an awesome thing in my opinion, did you used it before as fast as before?
  • JDB
    JDB Posts: 284
    via Wordpress
    I constantly FT over 3g with 3G unrestrictor. I can tell NO difference between that and wifi. And Att sucks in Tulsa. So I don't know.
    via Wordpress
    Go on and blind around...some pple (ranging in ages 13 or less to 65, or more) may not understand how it all works, incurring overages like rainwater. If you are reading reports (if u r vast at all on reading), then ur use of"common sense" is yet another fallacy in reason. wake up!
    via Wordpress
    Yep, buddy. Yet another reason not to update. cydia 3g unrestrictor does it just all right. Once Att allows it, there might come a price, yet there might also be an intent to get it not to run efficiently via 3g just to discourage FT data use or prolonged FT use over 3g.
  • John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress
    Children under 13 should be supervised. Blame their parents. Senior citizens will not likely be using an iphone. Aside from this, facetime can be turned off and settings locked. I stick with my original comment, use common sense.
    via Wordpress
    fallacy of assumption....Idealistic at best. no further comment.
  • Hacker
    Hacker Posts: 95
    via Wordpress
    LOL WHAT JOHN SAID AND I THINK THIS IS GREAT BUT APPLE LATE LIKE ALWAYS CUZ THIS IS ALREADY AVAILABLE IN CYDIA BUT APPLE DOES TAKE NOTES FROM TWEAKS FOUND IN CYDIA LATE BUT GOOD JOB
  • UhWhatsTheDeal
    UhWhatsTheDeal Posts: 6
    via Wordpress
    How do you know IOS5 is an excellent update, it isn't out yet? Yeah, well, beta, but that's not to the masses.
  • UhWhatsTheDeal
    UhWhatsTheDeal Posts: 6
    via Wordpress
    We pay for our data, why should we have to pay extra to use it the way we want?
  • David
    David Posts: 225
    via Wordpress
    I f use my3g to face time with my son on his iPod 4g all the time over 3G and my data doesnt rise muchI am on AT&T's unlimited plan but still monitor my dataIf apple only brings out an app killer like the remove background option on sbs setting then I will have no reason to jailbreak ever again
  • matt
    matt Posts: 283
    via Wordpress
    I totally agree with you. But let's be honest. Most of the comment posters on this website rival those of most YouTube videos. Not a whole lot of common sense (or English skills) exist in this neighborhood.
  • Avster
    Avster Posts: 8
    via Wordpress
    Skype already offers free video over 3G. Don't understand why FT restricted to wifi. Regarding capped data plans, I believe the plan caps will increase as 4g becomes available - eg, 4 gig instead of 2 gig. More competition would bring in unlimited again. Tmobile-ATT merger will kill unlimited data plans.
  • Chris
    Chris Posts: 736
    via Wordpress
    Maybe AT&T will become smart and upgrade their networks so they can bring back unlimited data to their customers. This way features like FaceTime over 3G would not matter.