More Evidence Of iPad 3 Retina Display Found In iOS 5 SDK

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageMore Evidence Of iPad 3 Retina Display Found In iOS 5 SDK

Back in January, just before iPad 2 was unveiled, there were rumors that iPad 2 could get Retina Display like iPhone 4. However, as you know by now, much to our disappointment iPad 2 got the same 1024x768 resolution screen as the original iPad.

The rumor was based on higher resolution graphics labeled “iPadx2” in iPad apps.

Techunwrapped reports that their tipster has noticed images, which are twice the size needed by iPad 1 and iPad 2 in the Twitter.framework within iOS 5 SDK.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Dempa
    Dempa Posts: 33
    via Wordpress
    "Twice the size"? he must mean four times the size.. Anyway, I skipped the ipad2 but won't be able to resist the no 3...
  • yagher
    yagher Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    the only reason i didn't buy ipad 2 is the resolution which compare to my iphone 4 retina is poor. waiting for ipad3!
  • Jpandes
    Jpandes Posts: 5
    via Wordpress
    Sweet! I will have to upgrade from my IPad 2 when the retina display reaches the Ipad.
  • kropitcom
    kropitcom Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    i skipped ipad 2 coz of poor dispaly compared to my iphone 4 so , will go for ipad 3 .cant wait ...
  • Pacomac
    Pacomac Posts: 145
    via Wordpress
    I'm yet to meet another iOS developer who thinks a 4x retina type display on the iPad is a good idea! Sure from a non technical point of view it sounds great, but I cant see games or any fast moving graphics working at that resolution, the processor can't handle it! Also we are going to need 4x the ram too. The best we can hope for is games dropping back to double pixel mode and the springboard being true retina. Get real guys, even the 27" Mac doesn't have this sort of screen resolutions and it has 4GB of ram, a top notch graphics card and a 3Ghz multi-core processor.
  • Z
    Z Posts: 333
    via Wordpress
    27" imac is 2600x1440, which is more than this. also, yes games would be screwed but they could run in 1024x768 and do pixel doubling/smoothing. it'd probably look worse than an ipad 2 but it would at least be an option, and for basic graphics and text it would look incredible.
  • Zolk
    Zolk Posts: 184
    via Wordpress
    Post-processing during games can negate the need for high-resolution. I was playing Crysis 2 on my laptop at 800 x 480 and frankly, I was fine with it. (Though I still prefer to play it at 2560 x 1600 on my desktop computer). Well, that's for 3D games anyway ... 2D games shouldn't be a problem for the processor even at 2048 x 1536.
  • Pacomac
    via Wordpress
    Yes, my thoughts were that games would run at 1024x768, but the only way this could be done fill screen is to double up (or quadruple how're you look at it) the pixels. You will need this for backward compatibility and also for new games that can't manage 2048x1536. I can imagine things like card and slow moving strategy games using the higher resolution though. I meant to say in previous post that true retina (greater than 300dpi) is greater resolution than 27" Mac. Either was this is too big for current CPU's, although quad cores might help, a jump in GPU would be required, and minimum of 1gb memory, ideally 2gb just to maintain current performance.
  • Pacomac
    via Wordpress
    If you are using the iOS GUI and not OpenGL it is not possible to get much above 30-40fps at current resolution by just calling setNeedsDisplay with no program code. At these sort of update speeds springboard is utilizing 60-70% CPU (and yes I got this right, calling setNeedsDisplay causes springboard to eat CPU). If the screen was 4x the size I can't see us getting more than 20fps and that's without program code. Granted, games use OpenGL which is a different story but for non gaming applications these resolutions are a stretch.
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    The price has to be retained at 499$
  • A Black Dude
    A Black Dude Posts: 167
    via Wordpress
    hopefully it will gave sum sort of better display....this the only reason i refuse to use an ipad....the screen is just horrible to look at.