Apple Forced To Offer 7-day Trial Period For Paid Apps In Taiwan

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageApple Forced To Offer 7-day Trial Period For Paid Apps In Taiwan

Earlier in the month, we heard reports that Apple and Google had been ordered by the Taiwanese government to offer a 7-day trial mechanism for apps in the App Store and Android Market as it violated Taiwan's Consumer Protection Act.

According to Indian publication, The Economic Times Apple has changed its App Store policy and has started offering paid apps in the App Store for a 7-day trial period in Taiwan, while Google was fined Tw$1,000,000 ($34,600) for refusing to change its policy.

Read the full story here

Comments

• John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress
    I think a trial period would be a great idea. I think more people will buy apps without feeling of risk, despite the low cost. I would bet revenue for developers would increase.
  • Eric
    Eric Posts: 238
    via Wordpress
    I agree, it would increase for good developers and get rid of the shitty ones.
  • Devohouse
    Devohouse Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    I would love a trial. I'm tired of buying an app and finding out that it's crap.
  • Kiwiholden
    Kiwiholden Posts: 189
    via Wordpress
    It's a dumb idea there are too many ppl like me that play games flat out for a week then never play them again they would lose millions.But in saying that I think it should be added to all apps $10+
  • Abel
    Abel Posts: 183
    via Wordpress
    I would LOVE to see a variable trial period. Like, 24 hours or even less for games, but maybe 3 days for productivity apps.
  • Great idea
    Great idea Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    I've been burned more then once & would have happily paid more for some. I would also tend to be more willing to buy if I could cancel the purchase for something that did not do what it stated
  • Ted Mosby
    Ted Mosby Posts: 0
    via Wordpress
    There are many .99 to 3.99 apps on the  App Store that can be completely used up in a week. Games that could be beaten with little replay value, tons of gimmick apps whose novelty wears off within a few days, and many, many more. You could download a expensive navigation apps and use during a vacation and never use it again. Seven days free on every app out there would certainly cause many apps to lose sales. 
  • Hoser
    Hoser Posts: 15
    via Wordpress
    I'd be happy with a 15 minute trial! It's easy to see that something won't work or isn't worth it. I'd even be willing to pay more for apps in general if I could preview them first.
  • Twinwin
    Twinwin Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    If this is true, then I will be pulling my apps from the taiwan store. I offer Lite versions, that's my trial. Would not be happy about this. I think many other developers pulling out from the Taiwan store is a great idea to protest this horrid 7 day free trial period.
  • Aaronieru
    Aaronieru Posts: 5
    via Wordpress
    Cry me a river, b****. I wish the US had such strict consumer protection laws. If only the US government cared more about its people than businesses...
  • Pacomac
    Pacomac Posts: 145
    via Wordpress
    I personally think Apple should pull the app store from Taiwan if they can't follow the rules. As a developer we get tons of charge backs already, and it would encourage people to pirate our hard earned work. Contrary to popular belief only a handfull of companies make a good living out of selling iOS software, many like myself would suffer from trial periods. There are always idiots prepared to slate your software for a refund no matter how good the software is!
  • Zang
    Zang Posts: 153
    via Wordpress
    I do agree, this is bullshit, they shouldn't have 7 day trials. All people should fight against that.A trial should be encouraged where developers can set if they want a trial, not forced into it.Think about talking tom for instance, 7 days usage for free? Or what about other mainly pointless gimmick apps, 7 days use, hell even 1-2 days use might destroy sales almost completely as I know I got bored after 2 days.... Let alone 7!Developers like me should all pull out of taiwan. 7 day free no matter what? I'm sorry... for small programs and apps, that don't work, hell even small games that don't have repay this would destroy sales, they might as well offer for free.
  • Wolverinemarky
    Wolverinemarky Posts: 518
    via Wordpress
    i believe a 24 hour trial is all thats necessary nothing longer and if i was Apple i would do what google did and pull paid apps from taiwan store adn dont let them bend you over.
  • Twinwin
    Twinwin Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Ah yes, idiotic strict consumer laws. 7 day free trials for all blueray & DVD movies, console video games, and what the heck, lets throw in music CDs as well. This gives piraters time to easily steal a company's hard work without ever paying for it, and developers get destroyed financially due to a huge drop in sales...which will lead to a shrinking market place and poor economics. 7 days is simply too long for this kind of market and very bad for business.I suggest not taking up business or economics as a life choice. I fear you would fail horribly in life.
    Guest Posts: 44
    via Wordpress
    the CHINESE is such a FUCKING CHEAP ASS LOSERS! all they know is scam!
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    I am going to Taiwan now.
  • Neogeo
    Neogeo Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Yeah this is crap. Apple should pull their app store from Taiwan.
  • me
    me Posts: 220
    via Wordpress
    That my friend is why here, in the land of plenty, Apple will never let that fly unless forced.
  • Chris
    Chris Posts: 736
    via Wordpress
    I think a half an hour trial period is enough. That way you would want to pay for the app after time ends. If it were 7 days, the user would probably have the chance to cover the entire app and move on to the next paid app for free. Half an hour is a good marketing strategy, 7 days it's just dumb.
  • ur papa
    ur papa Posts: 0
    via Wordpress
    To "Guest" ,Before you open ur fuckin stinky mouth, educate urself u douche bag! china is china, taiwan is taiwan..
  • Hacker
    Hacker Posts: 95
    via Wordpress
    windows phone 7 has a free trial that doesnt even expire but then again apple has some apps that have lite on the end that mean free trial as well but apple should have a trial for everything
  • otoro
    otoro Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Taiwanese here speaking,there are also approval and disapproval comments about this in Taiwan.like tv shopping and internet shopping, also suitable for this law, is to protect customer's rights, customers are always disadvantage groups in this kind of shopping.i can't tell if it's appropriate or not, some people might buy an app and get the refund just before 7-day trial, some may not.