iPhone Firmware v1.1.2 & iTunes v7.5: Simple Hack to Add Custom Ringtones to your iPhone for Free is

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhone Firmware v1.1.2 & iTunes v7.5: Simple Hack to Add Custom Ringtones to your iPhone for Free is Back

One of the readers over at Tuaw has figured out that with iTunes 7.5 and iPhone's latest firmware v1.1.2 you can once again add custom ringtones to the your iPhone for free using the simple hack without requiring any unauthorized iPhone Applications like iToner or iPhone RingToneMaker or changing the...

Read the full story here

Comments

• iPhone 101
    iPhone 101 Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

Tested And It Works perfect

• Bourne
    Bourne Posts: 60
    via Wordpress

W00000t!!! YES!!!!!!!!1

• Bourne
    Bourne Posts: 60
    via Wordpress

Oh damn nvm, Its for the 1.1.2 :(

• m0rphY
    m0rphY Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

doesn't work at all

• funktion
    funktion Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

works - on uk iphone too - the 40 second rule applies tho. i use ringtonator first to cut down, then change the file ext.

comes up under custom ringtones once syncd

i aint gonna get bricked for this now am i?

:-S

• iPhone Hacks
    iPhone Hacks Posts: 36
    via Wordpress

Hey funktion,

Thanks for confirming that it works especially the 40 sec tip.

This will not brick your iPhone, so far the only time the iPhone has been bricked post firmware update is when you have unlocked your iPhone.

cheers!

• Bhind-U
    Bhind-U Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

How do you update to 1.1.2 ?? Or can you not do so in the US yet?

• Bhind-U
    via Wordpress

oops nevermind.. > <

• kegpack
    kegpack Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

I dont know what you guys are talking about, i updated to 7.5 and i used itoner to put on custom ringtones without a problem

• laurnzo
    laurnzo Posts: 35
    via Wordpress

I really dont know what people do with their iPhone. But it seems we always have mixed reviews. I for one is still using sendsongs on my firmware 1.1.1 with iTunes 7.5 and my ringtones work fine. I used my razr software to cut the songs and add to my iTunes and use sendsongs and they work fine I guess some phones must have issues then.. Mine came as virgin 1.1.1

• Dj RaYz
    Dj RaYz Posts: 13
    via Wordpress

How do you do the m4a ringtone hack? I converted an mp3 to m4a. I then added the song into iTunes. Then closed iTunes and renamed the file to m4r. Opened up iTunes and it didn't show up in the ringtones. I have iTunes 7.5, 1.1.2 firmware released today in the US and a Macbook Pro. Thanks

• Dj RaYz
    Dj RaYz Posts: 13
    via Wordpress

I figured it out!!

All you have to do is change the extension of an m4a to m4r.
    Then right click the file, and select to open it in iTunes.
    Then bam! It should show up in iTunes in the Ringtones section.
    The file does have to be below 40 seconds, or else it won't show up on your iPhone.

Peace, have fun!

• Stefan
    Stefan Posts: 13
    via Wordpress

It doesn't seem to work for me. Can anyone care to explain what I'm doing wrong? I have my itunes updated at 7.5 and my jail broken iphone at 1.1.2 (lastest one). I converted a mp3 into a m4a using Zamzar, I then renamed it to ringtone.m4r I open with itunes yet nothing happens, it just adds it as music.

P.S I looked up my ringtone.m4r on itunes and clicked its info, it says its located with ringtone.m4r.m4a is this suppose to happen? How do I really rename/change the extension? Right click rename obviously doesn't work. I can't find another way to convert an mp3 to m4a. However Zamzar seems to work.

• Stefan
    via Wordpress

Dj Rayz, do you mean to change its extension to "name".m4r or to "name"m4r. I really cant get this to work. Yes, I am working with a m4a file. Using itunes or another converter to convert my Mp3s with.

• Stefan
    via Wordpress

YES! I finally got it to work, I just figured out how to change the extensions by going to folder options and not checking "hide extensions".

Hurray thanks for the hack!

• Bhind-U
    via Wordpress

I got through all the steps and in iTunes it says the ringtone is on my phone but, only on the right hand drop down list, no in the sync tab or actually on the phone. But, as u sync it says it sync'ed it...

Anyone have this problem?

• Bhind-U
    via Wordpress

GOT iT~!!!! I couldnt have the audio clip as long as 40 seconds. I tried a 7 second clip and a 30 second clip and both worked! HUZZAH!

• EJM
    EJM Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I had to rename my clips to something different than what they are named in my library. I just add "Ring" to each song's name.

• topeth
    topeth Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

I finally got it to work... I used the following steps: Keep in mind that i am using 1.1.2 and 7.5.

1. Found a song I wanted to use that was not locked.
    2. Drag and dropped the song from itunes to my desktop.
    3. Opened Garage Band.
    4. Created a new track with no effects.
    5. Drag and dropped the file into that track.
    6. Edited the file to shorter than 40 seconds.
    7. Exported the song to itunes.
    8. Right click on the song and hit convert selection to AAC
    9. Delete the mp3 file.
    10. Drag and drop the AAC (m4a) file to your desktop.
    11. Close itunes.
    12. Change the file extension from m4a to m4r.
    13. At this stage i also renamed the song name... I just added rt to the end of the name to make it stand apart from others.
    14. Right click on the file on your desktop and select open with / itunes.
    15. It should show up and the next time you sync your phone it will show up under ring tones / custom.

The previous instructions were not any too clear so i wanted to figure it out and make the process make more sense... Hope this helps. Good Luck and God Bless.

• CMD
    CMD Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

Nothing.
    iTunes 7.5(19)
    iPhone 1.1.2
    Updated on 11-24-07

Greater or less than 40 seconds makes no difference. Nothing appears in the Ringtones folders on iPhone or Mac.
    Tried adding, copying to ringtones folder, converting in iTunes, out of iTunes.
    File info shows it as a ringtone, but will not add to sync list or show up in ringtone folder.

Does the original AAC file have to be an iTunes download? I'm using CDs I've burned into the library.

• Pete
    Pete Posts: 92
    via Wordpress

U can convert any mp3 track etc, doesnt matter if u got it from a CD or not. U do this though iTunes.
    Right click the track you want & select 'Convert selection to aac' this will change it to an m4a file.

If it says something different than 'Convert selection to aac' then go to Preferences under edit in iTunes & under 'Advanced' & then 'Importing'. Click on the drop down menu under 'import using' & select aac.

As explained already by a guy above, but make sure the file extendions are not hidden & rename it to .m4r

Then no need to close iTunes, just double click on it or open it with iTunes & u will be fine, it should then appear/play in iTunes under ringtones.

Then sync with iphone (make sure it has a tick on it in iTunes & also in iPhone & then under ringtones.

Hopefully that made sence to anyone stuck.
    I use Audacity for cutting the tracks down.

• whodat
    whodat Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

stefan, I too am able to get it to pop up under the ringtone file on mboth my itunes and my iphone but it isnt actually on my phone. weird right? any luck?

• topeth
    topeth Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

the problem you are having is likely caused by the song file being too long. I had some trouble with this... Although you cut the audio to 40 seconds the other info in the file may be making itunes read it as longer. To check simply look at the track length in iTunes for the particular track. You may need to edit it down shorter.

• Chris
    Chris Posts: 736
    via Wordpress

I made a 15 second clip. I got it to show up as a ringtone in iTunes. After I synced it shows up in iTunes as being on the phone but it is not showing up under sounds on the phone.

confused

• kenmo
    kenmo Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

How do you change the file extention

• Shahariare
    Shahariare Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

U can do it with 1.1.4 & iTunes 7.6

Just convert the file in m4a format an rename it exapmle.m4a.m4r then click on it and sync with iTunes

Thanks

• pissed off guy
    pissed off guy Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

how the **** do you change the file extension? not one person explains that.

• Applegeeky
    Applegeeky Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

customize your iphone further with free ringtones and wallpaper from www.iphoneringtones.ca