Hidden Video Calling Feature Discovered in Facebook Messenger iPhone App

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageHidden Video Calling Feature Discovered in Facebook Messenger iPhone App

Facebook surprised us by releasing a standalone messaging app for the iPhone yesterday.

While users are still waiting for Facebook Messenger to be available in all the App Stores, folks at 9 to 5 Mac report that one of their readers has discovered video components in the iPhone app, which indicates that Facebook will add a video calling feature in the Messenger app in the future.

9 to 5 Mac reports:

Read the full story here

Comments

• fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    FacebookTime! LOL xD
  • Lavender
    Lavender Posts: 130
    via Wordpress
    Facebook-time - or whatever they call their video chat - will actually be useful, since many people use Facebook...Unlike FaceTime, which is limited to iphone users (and ipad and ipod touch and ipud taste users).
  • Kiwiholden
    Kiwiholden Posts: 189
    via Wordpress
    Well apple (as far as I know) don't make any money from ppl using FaceTime or iMessage so if u use the Facebook iPhone app instead apple isn't losing anything in fact it adds to there apps downloaded so I don't see how this is competing.This will be the biggest step forward for video calling so far!
  • moe
    moe Posts: 158
    via Wordpress
    its competing because people will use something made by facebook, not apple. I think its considered a competition when your stealing users. its not just about money.
  • Lavender
    Lavender Posts: 130
    via Wordpress
    Yes, it's about tempting people into your ecosystem. Even though they'll be using the Facebook app for iphone, it's still a win for Facebook over Apple, as they can ditch their iphones anytime to use Facebook apps on other platforms as well as have high exposure to affiliated Facebook services at all times (alongside or over Apples other services on the person's device).
  • Kiwiholden
    Kiwiholden Posts: 189
    via Wordpress
  • matt
    matt Posts: 283
    via Wordpress
    If there gonna use skype I might as well just use the skype app to do my video calls at least that tells me who is actually online.
  • dannyyyyyyyyyyyy
    dannyyyyyyyyyyyy Posts: 7
    via Wordpress
    facebook needs to fix their damn app first before any of this.
  • jack
    jack Posts: 149
    via Wordpress
    why make a separate app for video chat?why not simply integrate it to the messenger app,.it's a hassle to switch apps only so you can LOOK at the face of the one you're TYPING your message to.do you see yahoo/skype doing this?NO,why its simply not practical,user-wise..by the way FONE app already has video calling on facebook,cross platform(iphone-mac-windows-android)for over a year now!!am waiting for it to add video to the already efficient voice calls it provides!!
  • jack
    jack Posts: 149
    via Wordpress
    oops! i meant VOICE calls on facebook...its flash based/adobe..