iPhone GPS Hack: Navizon Lite brings Virtual GPS to the iPhone for Free

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhone GPS Hack: Navizon Lite brings Virtual GPS to the iPhone for Free

One of features missing from the iPhone's rich feature list is a Global Positioning System (GPS), which is now rumored will be available only in the 2nd generation iPhone sometime next year along with 3G support. Navizon had released its Virtual GPS product "Navizon" as a native iPhone application as...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Louis
    Louis Posts: 180
    via Wordpress

i am lost..wait! let me check my iphone gps.... lets see i am standing next to a lake in front of a house off reed street but it says i am in a small town on the otherside of the river off route 202... could it be that the lake dried up and the highway was built last year and the gps maps werent updated...

one day it tells you where you are the next the gps system gets lost and has no idea where it is but is kind enough to give you a location..all you have to do is believe you are there, click your heals three times and say there is no place like home.

let me know if it works...

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 383
    via Wordpress
  • Bourne
    Bourne Posts: 60
    via Wordpress

It doesnt work. I can't count on this if i'm lost.

• Bob
    Bob Posts: 183
    via Wordpress

Its nice it works well in phoenix AZ but of course dont count on it its not the REAL thing.. good idea!!!

• Gary
    Gary Posts: 37
    via Wordpress

Yea its neat but has me about 10 or so miles off.

• Distortedloop
    Distortedloop Posts: 64
    via Wordpress

What is the frickin' point of this? Are that many users so lame that they can't read the street sign and number to find out where they are?

If you're driving in the car, GPS is pointless unless it is accurate to within a few meters and can give real time turn by turn directions, otherwise, why bother. If you're walkng and don't know where you are, that's pretty lame too.

• Mickey3390
    Mickey3390 Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

It is now telling me I need to buy it. I am not buying something that doesn't work sure it's kinda neet but as far as accuracy about 20 miles off LOL would be wonderfull if it really worked and could give turn by turn directions from where you are now to where you want to be. Theres my two cents but like I said only free for thirty days or so then wants money LOL

• John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress

Google has a Beta feature for their Mobile Goole Maps that does the exact same thing. Just wait a couple months and you can have this for free.

• Andrew
    Andrew Posts: 168
    via Wordpress

This works.
    I'm in Tallinn Estoia and can locate no problem using gsm towers and wifi points.
    As well i can get driving directions between points here.

• Dylan
    Dylan Posts: 16
    via Wordpress

Hey Kush, have a link for the virtual GPS google maps is working on? If anyone could get a massive database of towers and hotspots itd be google. Theyre coming out with a hardware gps reciever that would plug into the bottom of the iphone, but itll cost $90, proabably drain the battery when in use, and adds bulk. I would be very interested to see if google can make virtual gps with similar performance to the real deal.

• Dylan
    via Wordpress

Alright well in case anyone else was interested in the competing google component, I answered my above questions. The new feature is called 'My Location' and is already implemented on google maps for many phones. To date, it is not available on the iphone's version google maps, but will be soon. My Location is similar to navizon in that it uses cell towers to triangulate your position. It does not however rely on wifi spots. Current accuracy is only 1000m, but knowing google, their database will grow and accuracy will improve significantly. I would wait for 'My Location' to be offered on the Iphone before spending $$ on Navizon.

• Dylan
    via Wordpress

Alright well in case anyone else was interested in the competing google component, I answered my above questions. The new feature is called 'My Location' and is already implemented on google maps for many phones. To date, it is not available on the iphone's version google maps, but will be soon. My Location is similar to navizon in that it uses cell towers to triangulate your position. It does not however rely on wifi spots. Current accuracy is only 1000m, but knowing google, their database will grow and accuracy will improve significantly. I would wait for 'My Location' to be offered on the Iphone before spending $$ on Navizon.

• Motoman
    Motoman Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Sorry, but this app simply blows. I am consistently located 10 miles south of my true location, and recently have been located not only 10 miles south but about 5 miles out in the ocean! In its current iteration, much as I love the concept, it is totally useless and a waste of space.