Sprint Also Files Lawsuit To Stop AT&T From Acquiring T-Mobile USA

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageSprint Also Files Lawsuit To Stop AT&T From Acquiring T-Mobile USA

Last week, U.S Government filed an antitrust complaint to block AT&T from acquiring T-Mobile USA. MacRumors has just reported that Sprint - the third largest carrier in the US has also filed a lawsuit to halt the merger on the grounds that it would harm consumers and create a duopoly between AT&T and Verizon.

Back in March, AT&T - the largest carrier in the US had announced plans to acquire T-Mobile USA - fourth largest carrier for a whopping $39 billion in stock and cash.

Read the full story here

Comments

• george
    george Posts: 88
    via Wordpress
    didnt sprint do the exact same thing with Nextel?
  • Marvin a.
    Marvin a. Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    How can they Raise prices if sprint is still there to compete in the market? I'm all for AT&T to get t-mobile. Especially if it means more U.S jobs.
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    Enough is enough, time to become a lawyer.
  • Chris
    Chris Posts: 736
    via Wordpress
    Yeap sprint is scared. Lets sue sprint over the nextel sprint thing
  • Chris
    Chris Posts: 736
    via Wordpress
    The problem is Sprint is in financial trouble as it is. What would most likely happen if AT&T is allowed to buy T-Mobile (it is not really a merger) is:1. AT&T would become the single largest carrier in the U.S. by far2. AT&T would indeed initially drop prices, attracting Sprint customers. But watch out for the fine print on these AT&T plans, most likely they would only be valid for the duration of the contract, then automatically increase to the then current offerings.3. Sprint would file for Bankruptcy. Either Verizon or AT&T would buy it, leaving only two major U.S. carriers.4. AT&T would increase the price of their plans to about double the current rate.5. Verizon would follow suite about two months later, once they realize people won't switch to them because they would have to buy new phones.This is bad for the customer as well as Sprint.One other thing to keep in mind, in the process all of the branded carriers that Sprint powers would also disappear:Boost MobileVirgin MobileStraight TalkI believe there are a few others as well.With Nextel/Sprint it was a bit different, Sprint has still retained Nextel's calling plans and honored the old prices.
  • curt dubya
    curt dubya Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Sprint sucks anyways. It only works n major cities if you live in a rural area like I do u gotta find the tallest hill and then climb on top of the house that's on it to get a bar. If sprint wants more business fuckin expand service. Dumbasses
  • AC
    AC Posts: 43
    via Wordpress
    That's exactly what I'm thinking.... Well said Chris!
  • Kaz
    Kaz Posts: 22
    via Wordpress
    I don't really care, nor should any current AT&T customers.. As far as I know, correct me if I am wrong, but I've had the same plan since probably back in 2004, we have 4 iPhones on my family plan and play around $200 a month with unlimited texting, and 700 shared minutes + rollover and nights and weekends (none of us make phone calls). To my understanding, I am grandfathered into this plan and they can never take it away from me unless I terminate my contract completely. As long as I continue to resign every 2 years, I will be able to keep my current plan. If I am mistaken someone tell me now.
  • John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress
    That's correct. All these allegations are from people who have no business involving themselves with this merger. Grandfathered plans stay as long as you remain a customer. They don't automatically change your plan to a new tier without your permission. If a customer wants to change plans, they will only be able to choose from "current" plans and that's where the misunderstanding lies.Service with any wireless company is a privilege, not a right. Regardless of what happens, consumers have their right to NOT get service.
  • John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress
    There's no difference. A merger is a merger. Until they're forcing service plans down our throats at gun point, these arguments are pointless. Don't like the plans? Cancel. Under contract? Too bad, should've never signed. No one forced it. ATT honors old plans and I haven't heard of a single case of anyone being upgraded to a new plan without consent.The people complaining are those who want the latest and greatest gadgets, upgrade their service plans to meet the requirements of getting those gadgets, then cry about their bill being too high. Personally, I think if someone can't afford the rates, they shouldn't get service in the first place.Simply put, price = demand. If everyone who complained just cancelled their service, I'm sure ATT will lower their prices again. Speak with your pocket books, it's much louder than an internet rant.
  • Mr.K
    Mr.K Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    No, I think this merger would mess everything up. And I don't think that only people that want the latest thing are bitching. What if AT&T and Verizon are happy with each owning half of America and work together to get as much dollars out of us even if the customer doesn't want the latest and greatest. Their are some people that need a reliable connection where the network they are on doesn't constantly go out or has issues with certain feature or services? Who are you to say that everyone is just bitching and that it's our fault. Some people don't have a choice and without competition and different choices how can people save money for things that really matter like bills, gas, etc.
  • Mr.K
    via Wordpress
    See when you wrote that you only thought iPhone and irresponsible people. What if someone just wanted a basic phone with a basic plan? Also their is no I'm sure they will lower the prices, because if there is only 2 major providers they will just be like oh well you'll need us eventually and you'll break out the cash eventually because were all you have in your location.Also no, at&t has and can mess with plans. The latest would be putting a soft cap on a customers unlimited internet plan.
  • Mr.K
    via Wordpress
    But what happens when your plan ends and they say well we have to change ur plan because we no longer support that plan. It will be an increase in the bill in order to continue using your 4 iphones.Also 4 iPhones? for only 200 a month? When did they ever have a plan like that? Did they offer iPhones with no need of a data plan? Your post seems invalid.
  • Mr.K
    via Wordpress
    Yes very well indeed.
  • MrShoehorn
    MrShoehorn Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    I have 3 iPhones with AT&T at $180 with taxes. Add another to that at $9.99 plus $20 for data and your at a whopping $210. That's pretty close to $200 if you ask me.
  • Joe
    Joe Posts: 450
    via Wordpress
    I'm sorry, but over $50/month for a phone is ridiculous in this day and age, especially if you have a relatively low number of minutes like 700 for four people. Service has not gotten that much better over the years and data has not gotten that much faster (nor does it really need to as long as you are not trying to watch video). There is no reason I shouldn't be able to get reasonable service on something like an iPhone (purchased at full price) for something in the neighborhood of $20/month/user.
  • Kaz
    Kaz Posts: 22
    via Wordpress
    Mr.K, like I stated, my current plan is grandfathered from very very long ago, so my physical minute plan is dirt cheap, nothing would come close to it price wise these days. As for the $200ish a month for 4 phones, it is inconceivable with any currently offered plan, only possible if you're on a grandfathered plan. We have 700 minutes shared amongst 4 people because we NEVER use minutes, and every month we always have 1500+ rollover minutes in our rollover bank at any given time, if you text 95% of the time, a minute plan is pointless, get the cheapest one. And I believe we get unlimited texting for everyone on our family plan for $25 a month, and that is also grandfathered in.
  • Drew
    Drew Posts: 23
    via Wordpress
    I think the merger with AT&T & T-Mobile is the smartest thing. Why? Its not because due to both companies use the same network and due to will expand it and making service stronger. Whoever says that is a load of crap. Verizon, AT&T Sprint, T-Mobile (and your other smaller cell phone companies) don't own all of there own cell phone towers, they rent them from other carriers. Rather the merger will allow them to transfer from 3G to 4G quicker/faster, and that's the name of the game, just as you guys said if the demand is there your provider is going to do it so as 1. Not loose you as a customer &2. To gain customers from other providersIsn't that what AT&T did when they got the 1st iPhone? Yes I will admit that AT&T does not have the best service, but if you were willing to pay that price you did it. Then Verizon got it, which was great to the rest of America because then they leveled the playing field, but a lot of people didn't know the difference between GSM & CDMA (and still may never) but do know this: one you can talk (phone) and surf the web and the other you can't (do both) if that's important to you then AT&T is the way if it's not go with Verizon or Sprint (speculations) The merger will provide AT&T with converting to the 4G network quicker, and putting up towers or renting from them. I have been a customer with AT&T ever since the iPhone came out, before I was a Sprint/Nextel customer with the push-to-talk due to that feature and before that Alltel, Verizon and GTE-Wireless, yes remember GTE. Half of these companies I just mentioned have been bought out, and that's the name of the game in order to grow your company take a look of some other companies that have done the same (mergered/acquired:1. United Airlines & Continental 2. XM & Sirius3. US Airways & Northwest Airlines4. AT&T & Cingular5. K-MART & Sears6. Disney & ABC (along with ESPN, RCA, GE & Westinghouse)7. Exxon & MobilWe all know that once AT&T goes ahead and gets T-Mobile, Verizon will eventually get Sprint to keep up with AT&T. As for changing prices whoever is saying that if your company is bought out by someone else your contract changes, does not know about anything of this matter. Yes they are grandfathered in, for example I have a close friend that has a basic phone from when he was with GTE (now AT&T) and has roll-over min. and pays $15.00 a month. That's right only $15.00 but that's all he has, well 500min & 200txt. As long as you don't change your packages your cell phone provider has to honor it. I have the iPhone and my unlimited data package is $30..mo. you can't get that at AT&T because they don't offer it, but did when I purchased it 4 years ago and they have honored it with my iPhone upgrades (3G, 3GS, and 4) I have 5 phones in my family package and have unlimited text, 3 of which are iPhones (2 iPhones have the $30 unlimited package 1 has the 200mb 20.00 I think that's the price) and the other 2 phones both have basic Internet, and pay less then $240.00 a month that's with a 1700 min. & now that AT&T has added if you have a family package with the unlimited texting (which is $30mo) you get free calling to ANY cell phone, in the US, so I'm dropping my plan from 1700 min to 1000, am I worried? NO because I have roll-over minutes. Something you can't get from Verizon or any other company!
  • John Jay
    John Jay Posts: 10
    via Wordpress
    First of all Sprint is way better than the greedyest bastards on the planet atet. Wich nickel and dime there customers to death. Sprint even offers unlimited internet wich greedy ass atet doesnt. So get your heads out of your azz for those who think atet tmobile merger is good for the people or the country. Atet would only then be able to charge more people unfair rip off rates. **** Atet good job Sprint and the Government.
  • Diane Keaton
    Diane Keaton Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Hmm it looks like your website ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I had written and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to the whole thing. Do you have any helpful hints for beginner blog writers? I'd genuinely appreciate it. http://specialneeds.heteml.jp/mdd-forum/meeting/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=131287