Hackers Can Use AR.Drone To Create An Airborne Botnet Controller

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageHackers Can Use AR.Drone To Create An Airborne Botnet Controller

You probably remember the AR.Drone - the quadricopter by Parrot that can be controlled by iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch, which brought augmented reality gaming to the iPhone.

Sven Dietrich, an assistant professor in computer science and two of his students at the Stevens Institute of Technology have demonstrated how such drones could be used by attackers to create an airborne botnet controller.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Zang
    Zang Posts: 153
    via Wordpress
    Awesome... Nice idea for a project, but still... I like custom built heli with servos for paintball guns :PNow THAT my friends, is scary... a 700 size heli flying around with shooting paintballs at everything haha :DBut really, helicopters don't stay in the air enough to actually get this much use... Sorry, but at most 8-10min. First few will be setting trim, then you got to find a network, then break in, then install while using extra throttle to hold items up?Realistically, you'll maybe have 5min actual fly time, unless they going to find, then come back, recharge, then go out exact place then try break in and "hope" it's gna be quick, then come back, then go back etc etc etc...Just not viable... Fun project perhaps, but not anything serious if you have any sort of encryption on routers which I'm sure anyone except those who are illiterate will have.
  • me
    me Posts: 220
    via Wordpress
    i have 2 of these and they can bassically fly them selves, when you frist see one of these people are amased as to how stable they are, i can fly mine around the hpouse very easily and remeber they have 2 built in cameras as it is...yes they are a very scary piece of gesr and a hell of a lot of fun
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    Awesome, simply awesome and must have!
  • Zang
    Zang Posts: 153
    via Wordpress
    Btw, this aint a helicopter. This is a toy. Just to clarify things...This don't even have the mandatory 6 channels for crying out loud... They can't go inverted etc...They are toys. That is their function.Your talking about 3g etc?A REAL HELICOPTER can do that more efficiently and better, as well as more precise. As well as it wont take much to lift a little card... I've lifted buckets with my 700 easily... I'm sorry but an AR drone is a toy, it's good fun, and awesome to get into helis, but it isn't a hobby grade heli, not even close.I can program 2 extra servos on mine for whatever I want.. Can't with AR Drone.
  • Dae Price
    Dae Price Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    The comments so far have focused on the fact that these things fly for about 8-15 min, and are a poor excuse for a flying RC. But those two points are tangents that really don't show you just how powerfull this piece of hardware really is. I know for a fact mine lasts a few hrs when its just sitting there running lights. THATS what brings the whole idea to a new level. It flys, lands and with a long enough battery, can run a few pieces of hardware long enough to do some damage, specificly in a tight packed urban area. As far as flying like a real heli, thats not the point either. Of course if you want to fly something, anything else will give you a better flying experience, but this thing FLYS ITSELF. you don't even have to touch a controller. its a cheap un-manned drone. The whole point of the artical is to point that out, not its ability to fly.