FindMe + Twitter = iPhone LoJack - Use the App to Track down your iPhone

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageFindMe + Twitter = iPhone LoJack - Use the App to Track down your iPhone

The iPhone hacking legend has done it again, she has released a native iPhone Application called iPhone LoJack to help you track down your iPhone in case of a theft or loss. iPhone LoJack internally uses Twitter to send periodic updates telling you exactly where your iPhone is in terms...

Read the full story here

Comments

• shai
    shai Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

This is available via installer by adding http://ride4.org/shai.xml to your installer sources. You will then under recent packages or under utilities find this labled as Quasi Low-Jack.

All the user has to do is update the tweet file with there info and restart there phone.

• Fingers
    Fingers Posts: 71
    via Wordpress

Ive installed it from installer, changed my username and password in the file specified, now what? How will it let me know?

• Alexjbriggs
    Alexjbriggs Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Very handy release! great job! but....

I have a question that I just don't understand, maybe someone can answer this for me. Why can AT&T not keep track of your IMEI on your phone on file, and if you lose your phone, or it is "stolen", and the "theft" uses the new phone, why can't the IMEI number be sent to AT&T based off the phone card/SIM being used, so if that phone's IMEI had been reported stolen, we would know who has the phone?

I do realize this could be abused, and you could sell a phone to someone, then report it "stolen", but in reality, anything can be abused....just a thought.

Does anyone know why this can't be done?

• Boomersmech
    Boomersmech Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

They do keep it onfile, its complicated but it requires local police intervention. It is a very tangled mess of leagl jargon. The FCC requires all IMEI's to be retained for tracking purposes which have nothing to do with keeping your equipment safe. More about FBI tracking incase you decided to make a threat on someone / something. Similar to how your Serial number from your cable modem is tracked at your Cable operator but even if it was stolen it wouldnt stop somone from adding it to another account as long as your account is no longer active.

• marc
    marc Posts: 103
    via Wordpress

Does this work with iPhone 2.0?