iOS Messaging Database Is Limited To 15 MB Of Storage In iOS 5

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiOS Messaging Database Is Limited To 15 MB Of Storage In iOS 5

It looks like Apple has introduced a new 15MB limit for the SMS mailbox in iOS 5. So if you exceed this limit then you won't be able to receive new messages and will get the following error message:

"Your SMS mailbox is full. New messages cannot be received until you delete some messages."

Apple reveals this new limit in the knowledge base article that was published on October 15th. It reads:

Read the full story here

Comments

• iRSX
    iRSX Posts: 70
    via Wordpress
    How the F*** do you use 15MB worth of space on SMS alone!? Text requires almost NO space to store with any kind of compression (zip???). People freakin' text too damn much.In any case, I think Apple should just have an option of having the phone automatically delete the oldest messages to keep within the 15MB limit.
  • bc28
    bc28 Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    I'm sure they have their reasons, but my initial reaction... Lame...
  • Duke
    Duke Posts: 56
    via Wordpress
    I unfortunately lost my phone last year with most of my txt messages so I only have a few months worth. However, I really can't understand this limitation. The only thing that comes to mine is that this information is retrieved and stored in a mini database so there may be some type of performance hit if you go over this limit. (i.e. in the database world the more rows/text messages you have the more of strain it is to retrieve this information)At any rate, apple should at least explain their reasoning for this.
  • Duke
    Duke Posts: 56
    via Wordpress
    I will say one thing though. it is hard to reach this limit. I had 2+ years of text messages on my old iphone I lost and when I reviewed a backup of the sms.db file for it, it was only 980 KB
  • Chris
    Chris Posts: 736
    via Wordpress
    75,000 would be a lot for anyone to have and I am sure it impacts performance when you get too much above that, especially with Spotlight, so I can definitely understand why they would want to limit it.
  • Wedding Guy
    Wedding Guy Posts: 30
    via Wordpress
    Pictures and videos sent and received in txt messages probably count against that quota.
  • RelicS13
    RelicS13 Posts: 74
    via Wordpress
    if you have a gf that texts your damn phone every 3 seconds like i do, then it is very possible...
  • lor
    lor Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    when i updated my iphone 4 to ios5 i received this message. i had never deleted any texts since december 2008 and i had about 96000 messages. once i erased them all there was a noticeable difference in performance
  • iGirl_in_SC
    iGirl_in_SC Posts: 6
    via Wordpress
    Why in the world do I want to keep all the SMS that I have sent or received? 75K messages stored? Not unless they are really important. Other than that I'd say delete them.
  • Scott
    Scott Posts: 164
    via Wordpress
    I assume Apple is talking about imessage.As someone has mentioned, it probably includes photos and videos.Both of these send as a much higher res then in regular texting systems.15 megs could fill up way to quick. Apple you need to increase this.
  • Writing For Profit
    Writing For Profit Posts: 40
    via Wordpress
    I probably receive around 500 text messages a month on average. I'll get back to you when I get that message in approximately 12.5 years. Most of my messaging is done through IM services which are more like 500 a day.I used a samsumg impression a877 as a loaner when I lost my iphone some years ago and hit a message limit, but it's never been a problem before or since. I never knew there were message limits until that happened. There's really no reason for apple to impose this limit so maybe they'll remove it after getting customer feedback.
  • Drew
    Drew Posts: 23
    via Wordpress
    you also have to think about iMessage being group messaging. so you send/receive from multiple people it can add up. 75,000 though is a lot to have stored.
  • Kray-Z
    Kray-Z Posts: 85
    via Wordpress
    I am actually very disappointed to hear this, It will be the very first thing I hope can be fixed via jailbreak. Who are they to limit how many SMS you are allowed to store or how you use the 64GB of your phone...
  • Michael
    Michael Posts: 316
    via Wordpress
    75,000(15) has been the limit since iOS 2.0. Before that it was less.
  • Quan
    Quan Posts: 13
    via Wordpress
    Picture texts can easily add up to over 15MB. I already know some friends who never delete their text messages......
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    How silly can Apple be! One end a 64GB phone and on the other this nonsense!
  • passerby
    passerby Posts: 16
    via Wordpress
    Apple messaging database must be imessage; not your actual phone. Limitations must be to 1) save apple storage space on their servers2) allow efficiency on the databaseAll makes sense considering the number of users etc.
  • bryan
    bryan Posts: 57
    via Wordpress
    I got this message right after I upgraded my iphone 4 to Ios5, Funny thing is, I had just broken my phone 3 weeks earlier and did not have a backup.Still, only 3 weeks of texting, I capped the inbox. stupid. stupid. stupid.
  • mattpartyboy
    mattpartyboy Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    I don't think they do simply because if that was so, I'd have gotten that message already. I have dozens if not hundreds of photos and videos in my messages. I think it is simply SMS and not MMS...
  • mattpartyboy
    mattpartyboy Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    I don't think this is necessarily the issue because spotlight only searches recent text message (I think last 25 messages of a chat history or something?) to the point where if you have a long outstanding text history with someone you have to scroll up and hit "Load earlier messages" to see them and even then they can't be searched in spotlight once hidden behind this history thing
  • 15mb!!!
    15mb!!! Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    ..........................................._______....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,.............................,.-”...................................“-.,.........................,/...............................................”:,.....................,?......................................................\,.................../...........................................................,}................./......................................................,:`^`..}.............../...................................................,:”........./..............?.....__.........................................:`........../............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\................................`:,,...........................`\..............__.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\
  • dice
    dice Posts: 94
    via Wordpress
  • Derfaust
    Derfaust Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    im sure it is related to the efficiency of the sms.db......if any database gets too large it takes longer to load it.......
  • Weidy Chiou
    Weidy Chiou Posts: 5
    via Wordpress
    I think they should not put a limit on that but rather put an option to export it as an archive or something.
  • Natalie
    Natalie Posts: 10
    via Wordpress
    You're right - it sounds weird - unless it includes MMS as well...
  • iOS5
    iOS5 Posts: 73
    via Wordpress
    Good one!!! Even Steve is feeling ashamed about it. Talk about user experience. Apple is a company that creates user experience for god's sake. Take that limit off. or do something or just add an alternative like letting us backup our messages or something like that. I thought that Apple products are supposed to be EASY TO USE. FU<K!
  • Metalsnake_Leo@hotmail.com
    via Wordpress
    The country where i live in,Sms is everything... People used to send 2000 sms per day. Even the telecom companies has started giving packages which includes 2500 sms package for 15 days...10000 package for month and goes on....So i think its pretty stupid to limit sms storage to 15 mb (75000) sms.....