Gartner: iPhone Loses Market Share; While Android Grabs More Than 50 Percent Of Smartphone Sales

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageGartner: iPhone Loses Market Share; While Android Grabs More Than 50 Percent Of Smartphone Sales

Research firm Gartner has come out with its quarterly estimates of worldwide mobile phone sales for the third quarter of 2011.

Although global mobile device sales saw an increase of merely 5.6 percent over last year, the growth in smartphone sales was an impressive 42 percent YoY. 26 percent of the total phones sold last quarter were smartphones.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Web Host Pays
    Web Host Pays Posts: 9
    via Wordpress
    All these market share estimates based on shipped numbers don't represent the real market. I see it as android with 50% of the market share of devices circulating in the retail chains. With 50% of real actual market, we should see web usage and trends reflecting these numbers. Flash would not have been killed for mobile if the majority supported it, which the figures in this blog post claim that android has.
  • colin
    colin Posts: 28
    via Wordpress
    Is it really fair to compare the iPhone to andriod when there's like 5 company's using the andriod os where theres only apple useong iOS. Apple has 3 iPhones that are still in production where as andriod os phone has many more so shouldnt it be b iPhone v one type of andriod phone rather than 5 companies who use andriod.
  • JDB
    JDB Posts: 284
    via Wordpress
    Dude, it's just like Windows vs. Macintosh. Windows have like...what? 85% market share? I'm not sure, but I know it's a lot. But how many computer manufacturers use Windows? Gateway, HP, Dell, Sony, Acer, and plenty others. ONLY Apple uses Macintosh. They're comparing OS to OS here. Now...want a comp test you'd be happy with? Compare start up times, update frequency, security holes, overall speed, and functionality overall. Mac/iOS wins every time. It doesn't change the fact that Windows or droid have more market share. Who cares if they do? My computer actually runs quickly and properly, as does my phone. Lol. And I think Windows will always have more market share...you can buy a piece of shi t Dell for $400, and let's face it: Apple doesn't even OFFER a computer in the "piece of ****" department, and not everybody has a grand or two laying around for a MB air or Pro. As for Droid, I don't know. With Apple now being offered on three different providers, I'd imagine that number to even out more in the next few years. Who knows?
  • 428cobrajet
    428cobrajet Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Well said Jdb....first class on a plane is a little better than coach.....but not as big
  • JDogg
    JDogg Posts: 17
    via Wordpress
    I don't think it's even about Android being available on several different carriers. It's more along the lines of there being 20+ different Android phones out there. If the iPhone can hang onto even 1/3 of the market that's impressive in my eyes!!
  • Shalashaska
    Shalashaska Posts: 55
    via Wordpress
    we are still comparing iphone to android ????? we should compare iphone to ummm galaxy s2 or something else... if we wanna compare android its fair to add in ipods and ipads as well..
  • A Black Dude
    A Black Dude Posts: 167
    via Wordpress
    its just annoying people when people see these reports and refer to android like its hardware. its a piece of software, not a phone. by the way, apple started using the exact same components as pc's in their computers for a reason... theirs were a piece of shi t. other than the mac os vs windows their really isnt a difference besides the hefty price tag, and im pretty sure the mac mini is around 500$.
  • A Black Dude
    via Wordpress
    i say this all the time.... android is a piece of software not a phone, droid is a phone tho....you can compare it to that, lol. dont forget apple tv's as well
  • A Black Dude
    via Wordpress
    you also gotta remember that most of the sales are off of low to middle end devices which is costing them to lose money in the long run. this is why apple has such a huge share of the profit in the mobile industry.
  • Dipen
    Dipen Posts: 19
    via Wordpress
    Android Market shares are made up - basically samsung mass produces millions of phones and then claims they are sales which is rubbish - if you go to an apple store you won't be able to buy an iPhone 4s as it's out if stock but if you go to any other phone shop they will give you ad many samsung crap galaxys as you want
  • JDB
    JDB Posts: 284
    via Wordpress
    Other than OS there isn't a difference? Listen black dude, you're absolutely crazy. Have you ever opened up a mac? Looks different and ten times better than a Windows computer. You're ridiculous.
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    and Apple still makes more profit then what they can imagine (Gartner)
  • Zolk
    Zolk Posts: 184
    via Wordpress
    We aren't comparing iphone to android, Stupid! (Despite what the title of this article says,) they are comparing ios to android. They just get lazy since iphone is the only ios phone, and no one really thinks like "I have an ios phone", so they just talk about iphone vs. android even though they mean to say ios vs. android. (nb - they're Stupid too, so don't feel bad.)
  • CTREV08
    CTREV08 Posts: 74
    via Wordpress
    Yea i am gonna pay 5 times as much for the same hardware cause apples good at hiding there wires.. apple uses outdated cpus and good luck upgrading I usally up date my gpu motherboard and cpu every year or so. Plus macs software and games are always months behind pc. And my pc looks way better then any mac tower. Someone get this kid a shrink he needs to be deprogramed from the apple cult.
  • John T
    John T Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Google is positioning itself to make money on advertising. Apple will have to cut into its profits as its market share gets crowded out with cheaper android phones. Apple seems to have peaked as they are losing their advantage similar to how windows crowded out Macintosh.
  • A Black Dude
    via Wordpress
    I never said it didnt look different inside....i know how nice and "Neat" it looks in there...who cares, maybe if i had a clear or windowed tower. like i said, its all the same sh** as pc's inside of it. same ram, intel cpu's, radeon gpu's, same hdd's some even using fat32 formatting for bootcamp. so........ like i said the only difference really is the os.