AT&T Customers Sticking With Carrier Despite Verizon And Sprint Offering The iPhone

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageAT&T Customers Sticking With Carrier Despite Verizon And Sprint Offering The iPhone

AT&T was expected to heavily lose a large chunk of its iPhone subscribers, since its exclusivity contract with Apple ended earlier this year. Those expectations escalated further when Apple announced that along with Verizon and AT&T, Sprint, too, would be carrying the iPhone 4S.

According to Glenn Lurie, President of emerging devices at AT&T, the carrier hasn't experienced significant customer defection since the introduction of the iPhone on rival networks.

Market Watch reports:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Thom
    Thom Posts: 18
    via Wordpress
    I think it's because of their cancellation fee. It was worth the fee for me to get out!!!
  • Josh
    Josh Posts: 265
    via Wordpress
    Honestly, AT&T has been good to me until they automatically updated my plan to a tethering plan because they said I was tethering illegally so I told I was leaving them and they said they'll change it back to unlimited data !
  • Mike W
    Mike W Posts: 0
    via Wordpress
    I stayed bc Verizon doesn't offer anything. I would lose 4500 rollover min plus 21% discount I get & my unlimited data plan. Those were the reasons I decided to stay with AT&T and I'm currently in no contract.
  • Nosferatu
    Nosferatu Posts: 70
    via Wordpress
    good to hear as I'm on unlimited. I hear it's not as easy for them to detect with an Android device but I'm not taking any chances at the moment. Granted Verizon may be faster with their LTE what's the point of switching if at 20Mbits you'll go through 2GB in less than 30 minutes at continuous speed. I'll take the 3-4Mbit of the extended backhaul at unlimited. Who needs 20Mbit speed unless you're on a home connection "downloading stuff" so to speak.
  • Nosferatu
    Nosferatu Posts: 70
    via Wordpress
    Also wanted to add...at 3-4Mbit it's very easy to stream a very clean video stream (I have a rather fast upload at my home). I use SlingPlayer heavily on the AT&T network it works fine through both my old 3GS and my current Galaxy S2. Even on a PC setting it to 3000kbps and 1280x720 resolution and streaming it out of my house it looks phenomenal so the LTE is really overkill unless you're pirating stuff off torrents and newsgroups and need that 20Mbit+ speed to "download stuff" so to speak
  • Amir
    Amir Posts: 27
    via Wordpress
    Same here sticking with AT&T because of the discount I get. The network sucks but all the networks have problems an I have wifi at home and work so it's ok. If another carrier offers the same discount AT&T is I would think of switching over.
  • FredMC
    FredMC Posts: 73
    via Wordpress
    Most iPhone 4 users are still under contract for at least 6 months.... and the prices among the two carriers are pretty much the same so why leave?
  • Tj
    Tj Posts: 102
    via Wordpress
    Personally I was gonna move to Verizon for the newly designed iPhone, when that didn't happen I decided to wait..hopefully next fall plus wont have 2 pay ETFl..I've been stuck with AT&T since the original iPhone, so another year wont kill me. Ps the reception in NYC is terrible.
  • Mark Veiga
    Mark Veiga Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Unlimited data and the fact I can multi task while on a call is the reason I stayed with AT&T.
  • dafin
    dafin Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    just speaking with friends in general, I was surprised to find many are switching to verizon for the double data deal. Its become an issue and more people want MORE of everything they can get. Just a thought.
  • I
    I Posts: 33
    via Wordpress
    AT&T hasn't done any worse than Verizon or sprint treated me. In fact they've done better. Originally the cell service stunk, but AT&T got on the ball and I kept getting text messages about how they had just added a new tower here and there. Before long, no problems. I commend them for making the effort. Also, to you unloyal AT&T folk verizon douchebags, remember why apple went with AT&T in the first place? Verizon made many poor choices and as far as I'm concerned, they've lost my business for generations. That company isn't as well run as many think.
  • Hoobaloo
    Hoobaloo Posts: 18
    via Wordpress
    I live in a Sprint dead zone, else I would be switching. Verizon crap zone as well. AT&T is full bars 3G, never an issue. I work from home so I need my bars.
  • pat
    pat Posts: 32
    via Wordpress
    If ATT won't let me unlock my iphone 4 after completing two years contract, i definitely will switch to other carriers!
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    Because most of them are on contract.
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 33
    via Wordpress
    Yes it's because most are on contract. However, AT&T is underestimating carrier CSpire. CSpire was the largest blackberry carrier in the US. In December this carrier normally pays cancellation fees for your previous provider. On top o that their unlimited plan is $70!!!! AT&T can't come close! I'm gone as soon as they offer to pay cancellation fees!
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 33
    via Wordpress
    Yes it's because most are on contract. However, AT&T is underestimating carrier CSpire. CSpire was the largest blackberry carrier in the US. In December this carrier normally pays cancellation fees for your previous provider. On top o that their unlimited plan is $70!!!! AT&T can't come close! I'm gone!
  • abc
    abc Posts: 11
    via Wordpress
    how you get the discount I have a 15% looking to get more!
  • Frank
    Frank Posts: 215
    via Wordpress
    Never had problems with AT&T network I have always believed the drops to be iPhone related. My past phones never had problems til I switched to iPhone but I love the iPhone even with it's problems
  • Bella'sMom
    Bella'sMom Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    I've been with AT&T since the 1st iPhone came out. I had Verizon before that and was bummed that I had to switch to AT&T. Honestly, I've never had a problem with the service and it's network although I wanted to switch back to Verizon when I heard it started carrying the iPhone. When I did upgrade to the 4s and switched to Verixon, it was a nightmare from the get go. I had a hard time with reception at work, home, gym, school. I was frustrated to say the lease since I thought I'd be happy to go back to verizon. But with these problems, why have a smartphone you cannot do very much on so I made the tough decision to switch back to AT&T. PLUS the talk & surf is one of the best features in the iPhone that Verizon did NOT support. After getting back to AT&T, full bar reception almost everywhere I went.
  • duggasco
    duggasco Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    I'm staying with them because of my grandfathered in unlimited data plan. If Verizon or Sprint were to offer me that and pay my cancellation fee's I'd be more than happy to switch over.
  • BDog_Grizzly
    BDog_Grizzly Posts: 12
    via Wordpress
    To be honest the whole talk and surf feature isn't really that big-a-deal. As long as you have a Wi-Fi connection, you can do the same thing with the Verizon iPhones. Not to mention seeing that I have my Unlimited Data Plan from Verizon (And will till the day I die.) my iPhone is freaking awesome. I'll never switch carriers nor phone brands again. And by the way. People that say that 3M-4M isn't that bad are absolutely retarded. Sorry to say but I love my 20M and ain't ever changing.
  • iOS5
    iOS5 Posts: 73
    via Wordpress
    I'm with you no that buddy, Wait till Sprint Data speed problem with the iPhone 4S is fixed and also when att iPhone user come to the end of their contract. Then we can talk numbers boi...
  • Don Ogawa
    Don Ogawa Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    AT&T has been pretty good for me and my family. They are also the only UNION carrier and give union people a discount on their service plans
  • SK
    SK Posts: 26
    via Wordpress
    AT&T is okay for phone calls now, but I am still very disappointed by their data nework. In our office building here in central NJ, the data speed during the day slows down so much, it’s barely enough stream Pandora. Sometimes I switch the phone back to EDGE, because there is nothing coming over 3G. The same in NYC, in some busy parts of the city, such as central park, you have all bars but not a single bit comes through on the data connection. A friend of mine has a new 4S, and it's a shame to see that thing downloading at 0.01 mbps in a speed test.So there is clearly a difference between theoretical network performance and what the customer actually gets. I wish AT&T would stop touting data download speeds that can only be achieved when you are the only one in a cell site, and would start upgrading the network at a pace that matches the one of the marketing department’s ability to sell iPhones.
  • SK
    SK Posts: 26
    via Wordpress
    Where is this? If have yet to get a single text messages from AT&T that they have added a tower anywhere here in central NJ. Service really stinks here and in NYC.
  • qunnoir
    qunnoir Posts: 22
    via Wordpress
    I decided to say with AT&T for now, cause why sign up for a new contract and get a 4s? So I'm waiting it out for now. : )