Rumors Of Apple's Television Plans Has Competitors Scrambling

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageRumors Of Apple's Television Plans Has Competitors Scrambling

While Apple's relationship with Sharp may be blossoming towards a full-blown Apple branded television set as early as next summer, other TV manufacturers are scrambling to react to Apple's rumored TV plans.

An analyst at Jeffries, Peter Misek, claims that Sharp has modified a production line for TFT LCDs destined for Apple's television. AllThingsD speculates:

Read the full story here

Comments

• sammy
    sammy Posts: 15
    via Wordpress
    If the price is right, yes I would buy one, BUT not when over priced
  • Michael Heister
    Michael Heister Posts: 21
    via Wordpress
    Apple will leverage its current advantage by fully integrating the TV into its ecosystem.Imagine a TV with no remote control that you activate and control by voice. That plays a slideshow of photos or runs videos directly from your Macintosh computer, iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch. Wirelessly. That plays music, video, movies and TV shows iTunes. That has video iChat built in, so you can use the TV as a big video phone. It's also possible it'll mirror the screen on your Mac or your iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch.Wanna get fancy? If they're smart, they'll integrate game-playing from their various platforms.Now if you're a competitor, imagine not being part of that digital ecosystem.
  • matt
    matt Posts: 283
    via Wordpress
    looks like Samsung are again gonna take on Apple. Design wise their TVs are among the best. With them partnering with Google to make the next Google TV (running a proper OS) with the added functionality of Android market and all the content Google has been getting through its recent partnerships looks like Apple may not be such a hit. The "magical" Apple products aren't having the same effect on customers like it did a year or so ago and Samsung has now grown in popularity and as a brand name.Google also have bought Motorola which is big in the set top box market meaning alot of people will be able to access this ecosystem at a lower pricing point. Apple is always gonna win with its marketing strategy but Samsung's new ad which mocks iFans is probably a good way to go to at least show people that current apple products are nothing special and have good competition, also gives other guys who own Android and non apple products, some great arguments for not wanting/having one.
  • matt
    matt Posts: 283
    via Wordpress
    I personally think if Apple do go in the TV business, its gonna be good for competition and for Apple's competitors. Apple with its marketing will make TV's hip again, LG and I think Samsung (not sure) have been making losses in their TV business. If Apple come in and make TV sets look cool again by their marketing, people will scramble to buy the Apple TV but all iHaters will buy non Apple products just to prove that Apple aren't that good.
  • Dan
    Dan Posts: 348
    via Wordpress
    Hmm, so with the jump in malware on open platforms in the google ecosystem, if I got a major bug I could look up the answer on my pc, oh crap it don't work, that's ok I'll call someone oh wait my phone is stuffed to. Blow it I'll watch tv...... Hmm what to do now... I just hope I don't use my phone as a gps or I won't even know where I'm going..... I'll stick with the people that make the sh** that works and that you can't screw with without some serous reverse engineering knowledge, unlike the 8 year old down the road that could probabily knock together a free ap on android to steal my bank details.....
  • Jesus Christ
    Jesus Christ Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Apple will try to sue every single TV maker from now on....healthy competition my @$$.
  • Maddie
    Maddie Posts: 6
    via Wordpress
    Samsung and google may steal the design but other than the actual google.com landing page, neither of these companies get the user experience. Have you actually used a Motorola set top box? We have one for comcast and the box and remote are horrible! Big, buttons everywhere that are big and spongy and often have to press two or three times to work. No wonder they are scrambling to react. Google has no idea of customer service - you have to contact support via their web forums and then wait to see if they will condescend to answer it.
  • Maddie
    Maddie Posts: 6
    via Wordpress
    Let the ihaters not buy them. Cut off there noses to spite their own face.
  • Pegger
    Pegger Posts: 54
    via Wordpress
    - If the price is right- If the still offer an AppleTV without TV- iPad / iPhone Game streaming is in it- Various sizes of TV- Full HD- 3D and No 3D option- LED / LCD / Plasma option- Better foreign Voice integration then only descent English- Better web integrationand a few other things
  • Jason
    Jason Posts: 585
    via Wordpress
    what ever happened to webtv or nettop box? Or even the itv. I think is a good idea but do u really want to watch a football game on something thats sub 40 inch?
  • sssssshhh
    sssssshhh Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    yes and u can keep imagining a tv without remote. i believe its never gone happen coz who's voice tv gone listen. will it listen ur or ur wife's or may be ur kids. what about its own sound. i will prefer a tv with a remote control.
  • Apple Insider
    Apple Insider Posts: 0
    via Wordpress
    Honestly I think Apple will git rid of the Ipad once the flat screen TV comes out. It will just be a oversized tablet.You will be carrying your 42 inch t.v to Star Bucks and people will be amazed at the screen size and how amazing the display looks with its life size picture display on the Retina Display.This will be the new revolution for Apple.People will be amazed. The pinch and zoom features will work wonder watching p**n on it.Cant wait!!!
  • kraken
    kraken Posts: 36
    via Wordpress
    A TV should be a dumb device that does nothing but display the output of your devices well. The idea of integrating a PC/mobile device directly into the TV is nothing but a marketing ploy to get you to buy a new TV every few years not because it breaks, or because the display technology has improved, but because the software is deliberately designed with limitations forcing you to buy a new one every year for one or two added "features". This will be planned obsolescence on a massive scale, and people are stupid enough to fall for it by the millions.
  • Maxtor182
    Maxtor182 Posts: 46
    via Wordpress
    Samsung and Google will Release their version of it for cheaper. Keyword is cheaper. You get what you pay for. I also read on this site about a month back that the parts that apple buys from Samsung accounts for 30-40% of samsungs income. Too bad for Samsung, merry Christmas to Sharp
  • Maxtor182
    via Wordpress
    TV should not be a dumb device unless you are one of those people that likes having 5 remotes, 3 shelves full of console devices and a nest of wires behind it. It will have a remote. Probably the same remote that comes with iMac/apple tv. Probably hold Enter to activate Siri. That's just my guess. Makes sense to me
  • Maxtor182
    via Wordpress
    Web your software is limited, you hit the update button. You don't ever need to buy the newest device when they come out. Lots of people are still happy using 3GS. I upgrade every year because I can, not because I have to
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    Common Apple bring it already!
  • 4ror
    4ror Posts: 8
    via Wordpress
    Not sure how Siri could distinguish a voice from a tv speaker and person watching it if the speakers were loud. I would imagine an apple tv would be full of DRM features... "Can't play video file but you can rent the same film from iTunes.."
  • Maxtor182
    via Wordpress
    If it was up TV manufacturers, we would have the same shitty TVs for the next 20 years. Say what u want about Apple, but you can't denie their innovation. If Samsung and Google make a tv better that apple than I would buy it, but realistically they won't. And better doesn't mean bigger screen, better camera, or even cheaper. Better means overall user experience
  • Andrew
    Andrew Posts: 168
    via Wordpress
    Apple is about to rule the world finally. Wish i would've bought stocks back before the 3G came out 70 bucks now look at it.
  • Maxtor182
    via Wordpress
    It wasent long ago that we could say "I don't know it would be posible to have Internet access on my phone" or "how can u access my desktop from my phone" with the right people working on it, u can do anything. Apple tv is limited so the general public can afford it. Thats why it's only $100
  • Amsterpelli
    Amsterpelli Posts: 28
    via Wordpress
    If they can swing it without being too overpriced, I hope they go all out with a 4k model
  • eddie-a
    eddie-a Posts: 62
    via Wordpress
    who says they wont have a remote? i'd say the voice thing would be optional. Also if Apple were smart (which they are) I'm pretty sure we'd see an App for the iPhone/iPod/iPad that lets you use your phone as a remote.. how often do you lose your remote versus your phone? I always call my phone to see where I may have left it if I cant find it in my room.. you cant do that with a regular tv remote.. pretty genius if you ask me.
  • eddie-a
    via Wordpress
    Imagine if Apple TV had a retina display.. BY GOLLY... I'm sure there would be a dedicated section on the App store dedicated to Apple TV, like downloading Netflix, HBO GO, Hulu+, etc. with built in Wi-Fi for getting those apps to stream on your TV. The ability to mirror your iPhone, iPod, iPad, Mac so you can play your games, watch your movies, photos, etc. (iOS5 already has this) and the ability to use these iDevices as a remote control would be cool too. "There's an App for that." Siri of course "I want to watch something funny on Netflix." Aluminum Unibody styling just like the Macbook Pro, iMac and Cinema displays would look sexy too. Imagine FaceChat on your tv with the ability to FaceChat with other iOS devices. I'm sure Apple would release at least 3 models in their starting line up with possibly a 32", 42", and 50"Just thinking about it has me drooling.
  • eddie-a
    via Wordpress
    Not to mention I can already see the fandroids going "Samsung has a bigger TV and has Google TV built in.. wahhhhh"
  • MastaWin
    MastaWin Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    And if you did have to upgrade to a new tv every two years it would be just like buying a Vizio tv, if you can get two years out of the Vizio.
  • Md6597
    Md6597 Posts: 8
    via Wordpress
    People keep making the who's voice will it listen to argument. Most phones have microphones one to pick up main voice and another to pick up and cancel ambien noise. Of course they would do that. Of course I can't watch any TV show without them saying "channel up" two or three times. Ha!Who says it will be powered my Siri. Makes more sence to use a kinect type interface. Multi touch without touching anything. One gesture to call attention so the tv is monitoring your movements, then another to perform desired action.Steve had a flash of inspiration and said he figured it out. Most likely means he bought a company out or stole something with a weak patent. Doesn't mean he figured it put from scratch.
  • Phyroath
    Phyroath Posts: 6
    via Wordpress
    none of the above. Apple will have a TV with no screen
  • 4ror
    4ror Posts: 8
    via Wordpress
    ;-) I was talking about the proposed apple television not the existing apple tv