Apple Clarifies That Carrier IQ's Stealth Logging Software Still Runs On iPhone 4

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageApple Clarifies That Carrier IQ's Stealth Logging Software Still Runs On iPhone 4

Yesterday, Apple issued the following statement on Carrier IQ's stealth logging software and iOS devices:

We stopped supporting CarrierIQ with iOS 5 in most of our products and will remove it completely in a future software update.

Read the full story here

Comments

• axe
    axe Posts: 185
    via Wordpress
    To spy hacker how they brilliantly sneak into A4 chip bootrom for low level exploit? That's maybe the reason why A4 is still inpenetrable. Remember these bastards log everything though apple claimed the opposite.
  • iOS5
    iOS5 Posts: 73
    via Wordpress
    Hahahahaha... Waiting for the apple fan dolls to respond.
  • pac
    pac Posts: 15
    via Wordpress
    At least on the i4 we can turn it off without any trouble at all. Android handsets must be rooted for you to manually push the "Logging Test App", then you must used that haphazard SDK and ADB, whereas I just tap Settings -> General -> About -> Diagnostics & Usage -> Don't Send. Moreover, there isn't even a finalized list of which Android handsets are running it still. I'm sure the next argument will be "But who runs a stock phone anyway, lol?", which is my point exactly. Anyone in-the-know will have already taken care of this, regardless of platform or device.browncoat:/ pac$ ssh root@10.0.1.8root@10.0.1.8's password: pacfone:~ root# find / -name awd_ice*pacfone:~ root#
  • Caleb foster
    Caleb foster Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    I believe they left it on the 4 because of the huge antenna problems, and they were needing more feedback to get that fixed as much as they could
  • Badlands
    Badlands Posts: 7
    via Wordpress
    What if I have an iPhone 4 4.2.1???? I kept it on a lower firmware to keep my untethered jailbreak. Is there something I can do? Please someone help. I feel like I have a little spy in my precious phone now.
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    So it does not run on the 4S?
  • Note true
    Note true Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    It is an error to state that by logging out the data is not logged. I opted out the day I upgraided to ios5 when I saw it. It may not save it but it does still log the data & I have yet to find a way to delete it.
  • L8te9ight
    L8te9ight Posts: 18
    via Wordpress
    "We stopped supporting CarrierIQ with iOS 5 in most of our products and will remove it completely in a future software update."Translation = We have developed our own version of software to log/send this information!!!!
  • Maxtor182
    Maxtor182 Posts: 46
    via Wordpress
    They didn't mention it because iPhone 4 is their biggest selling idevice to date
  • welbo
    welbo Posts: 13
    via Wordpress
    The disable option doesn't appear in settings on my Verizon iPad 2 on 4.3. I hope that means it doesn't use it either. Maybe it's time to do a little dd search of the rom. Any suggestions on good search terms?
  • Ron
    Ron Posts: 69
    via Wordpress