Why Android's UI Isn't As "Smooth" As iOS

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageWhy Android's UI Isn't As "Smooth" As iOS

A few Google+ posts by a Google Engineer and by a former Google intern and soon-to-be Microsoft intern correct poor "facts" and shed some light on why Android's user interface isn't as smooth as iOS's. The reason may not be what you think it is.

Dianne Hackborn, an engineer at Google, hopped on Google Plus to set straight some of the misinformation that's been floating around about Android.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Mykel
    Mykel Posts: 23
    via Wordpress
  • iRSX
    iRSX Posts: 70
    via Wordpress
    Just tried out a whole slew of tablets while I was at Staples today (girlfriend needed a new calculator) and OMFG all the Android tablets were LAGGGGGGGGGGYYYYYY. WTF? There was no iPad 2 there but it doesn't matter because I've used that enough to know what it's like. There WAS a BlackBerry Playbook there and let me tell you guys: go try the thing out. It is absolutely smooth as butter. Comparable to iPad in terms of UI fluidity. I also love the card system that it stole from WebOS. Too bad the rest of the OS isn't so great...*sigh*.
  • Ed
    Ed Posts: 110
    via Wordpress
    Android UI is smooth like Keith Stone
  • Jorge toro
    Jorge toro Posts: 11
    via Wordpress
    Android sucks iOS's ****... In slowmo by the looks of it. Lol
  • OGT
    OGT Posts: 230
    via Wordpress
    What about Flash Player? 1+Android 1-iOS
  • Javier
    Javier Posts: 9
    via Wordpress
    What about it, Adobe said it's dead, at least the mobile version :P
  • Steve
    Steve Posts: 326
    via Wordpress
    I carry both iPhone 4s and the galaxys2... That being said I think they both run smooth.i can't speak for the tablets.the iphone makes music and video transfer easy with iTunes.if android had some sort of iTunes like program I probably wouldn't of got a another iPhone.i love apple products,I have apple tv,MacBook pro,iPad,and iPhone 4s. But I like having flash support on my galaxy s2 and the bigger screen.it runs smooth and I see no difference between the two phones.the world of android is pretty cool and I'm glad I left iPhone for a bit to get check it out... Now I gotta carry both cause i love both.
  • OGT
    via Wordpress
    Android Mobile support Flash Player...!
  • mhmm
    mhmm Posts: 11
    via Wordpress
  • Xavier
    Xavier Posts: 27
    via Wordpress
    Flash is so Dinosaur age just like your droid lol HTML5 is the future
  • shane blyth
    shane blyth Posts: 25
    via Wordpress
    Whats the spec on a Galaxy S2? its a dual core 1.2 or 1.5 ? cant remember but the iPhone 4S is only dual core 800mhz CPU and iPhone 4 single core . So they have to put way more grunt to get a similar result. Pity really imaging if / when it gets a similar system the Androids would really be super fast n smooth
  • Nosferatu
    Nosferatu Posts: 70
    via Wordpress
    Galaxy S2 is a dual core 1.2Ghz with 1GB RAM. I just recently rooted it (jailbroke it) just for the heck of it. I noticed most of the time the S2 runs around 500Mhz it only ramps up the CPU speed when it needs it. It's silky smooth from the factory but it got even more so after I installed a new ROM (software). Absolutely zero lag. Can't speak for the tablets as I've never used one before (and don't see the need for one personally).
  • Ashzzsss
    Ashzzsss Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    If you guys were to stop fighting over what os is better you would of read the last guys quote on why iOS is so silky smooth. "Whenever an iOS devices detects touch, it stops other processes and focuses all attention to rendering the UI."Hey i own an iPhone 4s but it would be nice to have a silky smooth android tablet for reading comics =/
  • SilentPhart
    SilentPhart Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Wow there are still phandroid idiots that think Flash is a "one up" for Droid? So you read news whatsoever? Are you aware that Adobe (maker of Flash in case you're too clueless to know) is getting rid of mobile Flash because even they admit it's crap?Droid users, in general, are the least informed, most ignorant smart phone owners by far. You can find proof if it everyday in the comments section of articles like this.
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    iOS for the win always.
  • Paul
    Paul Posts: 239
    via Wordpress
    Good post on why iOS is silky smooth among other features Apple as come up with. Other OS's should look into maybe learning from that if possible. Flash is going to die sooner or later but we should understand Flash is still big on the net now. I need flash to get the best of the Internet. If you can Get flash on your toy get it. I wish my iPhone used flash now. Bought a Playbook for Full 11.2 Flash (no lite stuff). Until most websites really start to impl
  • Paul
    Paul Posts: 239
    via Wordpress
    ement HTML5, get me a flash player capable device please. Apple great at being easy and SICK app store. Awesome job there. Just flash away from being perfect. Guess perfect would be too much.
  • OGT
    via Wordpress
    I have an iPhone u idiot..!
  • CTREV08
    CTREV08 Posts: 74
    via Wordpress
    Can u watch tnt.com on ur iphone out of the box. no +1 for android. html5 may be the furture but one of the main reasons i use my thrill over my iphone 4 is flash. and a bigger screen. faster emulators. and there is nothing like playing mario kart 64 in 3d
  • Pacomac
    Pacomac Posts: 145
    via Wordpress
    This article is incorrect on many levels. The iPhone does not update the display in real-time background threads. In fact all UI updates have to be done on the main thread, so her argument doesn't hold water!
  • Pacomac
    Pacomac Posts: 145
    via Wordpress
    Also on the iPhone touch events are low priority, and if foreground processes are consuming too much CPU touch processes do not occur, contrary to what is said in this article.
  • Rip
    Rip Posts: 38
    via Wordpress
    get doubletwist from android market. it's free
  • Kenn Adams
    Kenn Adams Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    @SilentPhart: I'm sure 100% of Android users visit an iphone hacking site to show their lack of smarts to support your comment. Get real. Nothing wrong with being a fan of something great like iPhone and iPad. But I think a lot (not all) come here to jailbreak because iOS is lacking. Yes, Flash is dying. But until it is dead, I will have to pull out my Android to view many sites that my iPad can't view. So yes, +1 for Flash. Don't pretend its not a shortcoming for iOS all of a sudden because of Adobe's very recent announcement. Hundreds of sites aren't going to covert their flash pages overnight just because of that. You can be a fan of your phone because you obviously spent a lot of money on a very nice device. But don't be ignorant.
  • Agree
    Agree Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    I completely agree. Some replies are just a tad bit ignorant and there is no place for them here.
  • Quone
    Quone Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Both operating systems are very similarIt all comes down to personal preference
  • affinity
    affinity Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    First UI: I think android will get to a point where UI is as smooth as iOS, however it will probably be pushed from a hardware perspective than a software one.Second Flash: Give me a good flash player on the desktop, then we can talk about getting a good one on mobile devices. Adobe should just Open Source it and i bet within a year there would be a good one out there.