Stolen iPhones May Still Receive iMessages Sent To The Original Owner

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageStolen iPhones May Still Receive iMessages Sent To The Original Owner

According to various user accounts, stolen iPhones still seem to be receiving iMessages being sent to the original owner, despite taking measures like remote wiping or changing Apple ID passwords.

The latest such account comes from an Ars Technica reader David Hovis:

Read the full story here

Comments

• City023
    City023 Posts: 55
    via Wordpress
    Haha! 1stThat sucks.
  • A1d3N
    A1d3N Posts: 23
    via Wordpress
    Sold the wife's iPhone 4 and they called up sayinging they were still getting my texts.I restored the phone before I sold it. Very annoying. Sent 'pictures' too :-O
  • Cooper
    Cooper Posts: 144
    via Wordpress
    My sister upgraded from a 3G to a 4GS and has been having this exact problem. I have to make site to send her texts and not iMessages.
  • Craig
    Craig Posts: 178
    via Wordpress
    Me and a friend switched out phones and had that problem for a few days. Luckily instead of being stolen, me and my friend were able to fix it eventually
  • Michael
    Michael Posts: 316
    via Wordpress
    Gave my wife my old iphone 4 when I upgraded to the 4S and we're not experiencing that problem. The Apple store employee moved my old SIM to the 4S and put a brand new SIM into the 4. When I got home I did a full wipe of the 4 and registered it to the wife's apple ID.
  • Teaike
    Teaike Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    I'm guessing this is an issue only with the gsm model?
  • Erik Adams
    Erik Adams Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Why is it that the carrier, or Apple, cannot disable the IMEI or MEID or somehow toast the phone? Wouldn't this stop people from stealing the iPhone, or buying potentially stolen iPhones.
  • george
    george Posts: 88
    via Wordpress
    i lost my iphone 4, the next day i ordered the 4s, got it like 2 weeks later.. started using my 4s like usual.. but when i would text people using iMessage, this exact thing would happen to me, the person i would be iMessaging would be getting texts (extremely weird texts at that) that i would never be sending and it would look on my phone as if i would be sending them but i never did. i changed my apple ID on my apple account, but my 4s wont let me change my ID on my phone on iCloud, so i turned iMessaging off on my 4s and havent turned it back on, but now i can't receive anyones texts that have iMessages, they would have to turn their imessage off before texting me if i want to see their texts...very frustrating and annoying!!! there needs to be a solution to this!!
  • tim
    tim Posts: 173
    via Wordpress
    Another reason why I use "Whatsapp" or "Line" for messaging. Its free, a lot more powerful, send pics, share location, send messages internationally free, and its cross platform.
  • cody
    cody Posts: 101
    via Wordpress
    There's an easy fix for this, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned it. Simply go to your Settings -> Messages and then turn iMessage off then back on. It should ask you to log in with your Apple ID and ta-da, no more issues. I had setup my mom's iPhone 4 through my computer during the iOS 5 update and somehow my iMessage login info got copied to her iPhone so she was also getting my iMessages (but only those sent to my email, not my actual phone number). If you've stolen someone iPhone, you're a schister and that stuff will come back to you, but you can simply follow the instructions and log out of the victim's account.
  • Johndc
    Johndc Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Cause the carriers dont care if your phone is stolen. They care about activations.The line that AT&T told me about black listing IMEI, is that they dont have the system in place to do block reported stolen IMEI numbers. Its criminal that they dont do this. It would totally block the stolen phone market if the IMEI utilized for blacklisting. We should be furious that the carriers dont protect their clients this way, but we are only pissed when its our phone thats stolen and resold....
  • Mark W
    Mark W Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    I dont know about the US, but in Europe the IMEI's are blocked in almost all theft cases.Not sure how it was organised with all the vested interests but i guess the insurance companies had a say.It severely reduces handset theft since most people know that if you steal a handset now, it'll be worthless in a couple of hours. Also the penalties for attempting to circumvent the block are insane. About 10 years IIRCYou'd actually make more money tracking down the owner and requesting
  • Mark W
    Mark W Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
  • Bruh
    Bruh Posts: 6
    via Wordpress
    Yay, another feature of iCrap. Even if you lose your phone you can still receive SMS! WOOOO
  • Fuck you
    Fuck you Posts: 47
    via Wordpress
    i have an iphone 4 and a lg thrill. so i decided to use my lg and my friend send me a text with his iphone, wich was sent to my iphone on wifi and not my lg. its weird because the lg has the sim card on it ... and i cant recieve text from my friends who have iphones...