UK Carrier O2 Reportedly Sending Phone Number to Every Website You Visit [Updated]

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageUK Carrier O2 Reportedly Sending Phone Number to Every Website You Visit [Updated]

The Next Web has just reported that UK Operator O2 is sending user's phone numbers in the header information when you visit a website over O2's 3G network.

TNW reports:

The issue was brought to our attention to Lewis Peckover, who created a simple webpage to check the information that a mobile browser would send to a website when it requested data.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Gilly
    Gilly Posts: 11
    via Wordpress
    Nice one o2 much appreciated
  • Manda
    Manda Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    **** that. leaving O2 this week thanks to this.
  • Rounak
    Rounak Posts: 269
    via Wordpress
  • Lordkramuk
    Lordkramuk Posts: 23
    via Wordpress
    Well this has DEFINITELY made me decide to go onto 3 after my current contract ends this time next year!
  • Marcello
    Marcello Posts: 19
    via Wordpress
    definetely a privacy violation for the phone number gets public to every webmaster & website stats analysis reviewer however, in the uk i'm currently on O2 and never got a phone call by unwelcome individuals. i did had people around me coming to visit me without notice & without introducing themselves in a appropriate way then, i guess the problem is not on the phone number being sent to websites but the address information, name & last name or GPS position can be located then with O2 members of staff cooperation. rather focusing on the surface, risks & problems are much more lower level down to call centers operators & customer care members of staff who do sell such info & data to others.take care marc
  • melvarius
    melvarius Posts: 200
    via Wordpress
    Go for the One plan. 5000 same network calls, 5000 texts, 2000 any network and landline calls and the icing on the cake, all you can eat data. I used about 60gb last month (no tethering restrictions or throttling). For only £25 a month (sim only). Obviously depending on the handset you get it may cost a bit more. Good signal too unless you live out the back of beyond. I've been on the plan over a year and wouldn't change it for all the tea in China.
  • Joe
    Joe Posts: 450
    via Wordpress
    thank you for that i was waiting for a unlock for my iphone 4. because im on 3 network. now im glad i havent got it. get stuffed o2 i was with you for years no more o2 grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Eugene
    Eugene Posts: 10
    via Wordpress
    Now this explains why I'm getting random marketing text and calls even though I never give out my number. I wonder if this is against the law, as I never opted in for marketing but O2 opted in on behalf of me
  • M
    M Posts: 30
    via Wordpress
    All carriers do it. Header enrichment allows for many value added services when on mobile.My previous employer was a mobile tech company who used this (with permission) on a very regular basis.