Path iPhone App Uploads Your Entire Address Book to Its Servers

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imagePath iPhone App Uploads Your Entire Address Book to Its Servers

If you're one of the 2 million users of Path - the personal life-sharing service, you might want to read this.

Singapore based developer and blogger Arun Thampi has discovered that Path's slick iPhone app uploads your entire address book to its servers while he was trying to hack it to implement a Path Mac OS X app.

Thampi writes an account on how he discovered what appears to be a major privacy issue on his blog:

Read the full story here

Comments

• iOS5
    iOS5 Posts: 73
    via Wordpress
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    THey will think of implementing, they already should..!
  • Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 260
    via Wordpress
    I emailed Path, insisting the remove all harvested data and delete my account (not simply deactivate it). This is what they had to say:---Hi Ryan,Thank you for getting in touch with us. We want you to know that you have been heard and as a result, as of today, we’ve deleted the entire collection of user uploaded contact information from our servers.In addition, I have marked your account for permanent deletion. This means that your account can never be reactivated. I’ll be sure to follow up with you as soon as this is completed. On behalf of the team, I’d like to apologize for any privacy concerns that you may have had. Our intent in accessing this information was to make it easier for you to find your family and friends on Path. Our newest release of Path (2.0.6), prompts users with the option of allowing or denying Path access their contacts. We care deeply about our users and their sense of security and control over their personal information, and through our actions we aim to uphold this sentiment. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you. I’m more than happy to address any further questions or concerns that you may have.All the best, Zack---Their speed of response was impressive, as was their cooperation in meeting all my requests. We'll see what happensRyan@rycariad on Twitter
  • Findmytap
    Findmytap Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Most of user want to update with iOS update with iPhone apps
  • Findmytap
    Findmytap Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Most of user want to update with that iphone iOS update with using apps.