How-To: Backup the iPhone, Restore from a Backup & Delete a Backup

Options
^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
How-To: Backup the iPhone, Restore from a Backup & Delete a Backup

One of the most common (and obvious) recommendation before hacking the iPhone is to backup the iPhone so that if things go horribly wrong you can at least restore your iPhone to avoid losing any of your settings such as sound settings, widget settings, certain network settings, and other preferences...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Damien Benoit
    Damien Benoit Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

I tell you what though, I been having the iPhone 3G for 2 weeks now, put tons of applications on it and even plenty of videos and other things and its seeming to take 2 hours to restore from a backup. It might even be longer, im actually just 1/4 throgh and its almost been an hour!

• saleh asaad
    saleh asaad Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

dear Sir
    good day

kindly can you advice ... i lost all my contacts from my I pone when i use I POT ,and i dont have backup for that can i get it again ,, please help me

best regards,
    saleh mullah

• JadeStar
    JadeStar Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Options

The iPhone has a fully functional SysV-style Unix file system on it... meaning that, from Cydia, you can install an OpenSSH daemon and Terminal app for your iPhone, and then do WHATEVER you want with it. Once the Terminal is installed, you'll find that most file and network commands you'd get on the Mac are available on the iPhone. That makes it a Unix box in your pocket, meaning that you can script any damn thing you want it to do, just like you could do in the Terminal on your Mac or Linux box.

Long story short -- I'm currently using WinSCP to backup the entire filesystem on my iPhone to my laptop. As of 5 mins from now, though, I'll have the iPhone added to the network auto-backup script on my Linux box. WooHoo!!

Google for "rsync", and you'll see what I mean. :)

Happy Hacking :)

• GrantosUK
    GrantosUK Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

If copytrans is so good, then why is there two cryptor viruses in the download?

I think the same poster did all the above posts recommending this software. Don't touch it. If it was professional viruses wouldnt be included now would they?

• willy
    willy Posts: 6
    via Wordpress
    Options

I think your anti-virus gives false positives. Let me explain.

I experienced the same issue with mine that prevents me to open the program.
    The support advised me to deactivate the 'heuristic scan option'. In fact, AVG gives many false positives due to the way it searches for viruses into programs (by analyzing their scripts).

Now everything is back in order and I have managed to run the app.

• tyler
    tyler Posts: 25
    via Wordpress
    Options

Tried copytrans - "iphone is not currently supported" - i suspect Grantos suspicions about fake recommendations are correct

• Todd
    Todd Posts: 25
    via Wordpress
    Options

I never got that message 'iphone is not currently supported'.
    The program runs well with my iPhone 3G.

• dave
    dave Posts: 389
    via Wordpress
    Options

Copytran doesn't back up your iphone settings. It only backs up your photo, video, and audio files. Useless, Use itunes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

• Gavin
    Gavin Posts: 9
    via Wordpress
    Options

Copytrans looks like a scam to me. All the posters hyping it appear to be the same typist with the same formulaic post, pasting the same link at the foot of each.

I wouldn't trust a backup solution from a company that refers to your iPhone's internal storage as a 'hard drive'.

Last of all, a quick search shows no torrents for their files; if it's not worth ripping off, it's not worth buying. (lol)

This false, misleading, viral method of marketing is disgusting; I motion that everybody counter this despicable practice by posting just how terrible their software is, and how it damages your PC, iPhone, and sex life, steals your girlfriend, scratches the car, and causes water damage to the plasterwork in the guest room...

• joebiatch
    joebiatch Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

this is not dooing the backup of your software it only backup your photo and music so is fucking usless software you can use itunes for that and is more professional...DO NOT DOWNLOAD DO NOT DOWNLOAD DO NOT DO WNLOAD DO NOT DOWNLOAD DO NOT DOWNLOADDO NOT DOWNLOAD DO NOT DOWNLOAD DO NOT DOWNLOAD DO NOT DOWNLOAD
    Is just a waste of thime!

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress
    Options

Gavin was spot on, all those recommendations for Copytrans came from the same IPs. We have removed the comments.

Thanks folks (especially Gavin) for highlighting them.

• Zaidi
    Zaidi Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

dear sir

if i make any new instalation my iphone need some account information and password. how can find this one?

• getoverit
    getoverit Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

Apple recommends that you regularly back up the file where the iPhone backup data is written. The problem I'm having is that the iPhone doc says that file is on \Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup... But that folder doesn't exist on my XP machine. So, I cannot verify that I have a usable backup and am totally at a loss as to how to "backup the backup".

I patiently waited while iTunes loaded and downloaded all this sales crap that I really don't care about in the first place... then waited while it "syncs" (they really ought to give some thought to providing a lucid explanation of that that really means) only to find out that it didn't really work as advertised anyway.

I would think that a simple, usable, verifiable backup scheme would be one of the main concerns of both Apple and its iPhone customers. But this thing is really just an overgrown music player and game machine. If you to do anything important, get a Blackberry or something that's designed for grown-ups.

I've spent literally hours trying iTunes, iDrive, iPranks whatever just to do something that I would think would be routine, documented, and would take no more than a few minutes. What a waste of time!

• application_killer
    via Wordpress
    Options

Hi, I installed catagories, hid all my apps in its own folder, now I have upgraded the phone to v3, all the applicaions I hid - are hiden... I cant remember what I called the catagory to recreate where they were put...

how do I alter the plist to show the app on the front page again ? anybody ? :-)

• liucy
    liucy Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

Backup iPhone Notes
    want to know which is the best iphone notes backup software?

• Drew
    Drew Posts: 23
    via Wordpress
    Options

I need help with my jailbroken iphone I connected it to my pc to upload some new songs and by accident I agreed to download some new software onto the iphone now I'm only allowed to make emergency calls if anyone can help contact me andrew.vijande@gmail.com Thanks.

• Peter
    Peter Posts: 110
    via Wordpress
    Options

One of my kids deleted all my contacts on my MacBook, but they are still in my iPhone.

If I sync, will they disappear from the phone or reappear on the computer?

I dare not try, because I can't afford to lose all my contacts.

(MacBook is now password protected)

• pjacob12@yahoo.com
    via Wordpress
    Options

Tried to install Copytrans numerous times and my Laptop locked up. Had to shutdown with power button. Anybody had this problem? Think it has a virus?

• My daughter went through setting on my iphone to reset my iPhone datas.Now the phone can no longer launch the Iphone application.The only thing showing on the phone when I try to put it on is a white pineaple icon.
    What do I do? Am afraid i will loose all my datas.
    How do I restore the phone back

• Ray
    Ray Posts: 121
    via Wordpress
    Options

all u can do is put it into DFU mode and restore...thats the only option u have i believe

• slazydude@hotmail.com
    via Wordpress
    Options

hi, i have a jailbroken iphone 3gs running fw 3.0.1, i want to know do i have to upgrade to the lastest firmware first via itune? or can i just go ahead with my current fm and download the ips file and go from there?

• Jhops
    Jhops Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

haha i couldnt agree more!

• Mojo
    Mojo Posts: 5
    via Wordpress
    Options

Hi,
    I have a Windows XP laptop and my laptop was reimaged and I took a back up of the itunes folder(Where all the files are stored when we sync the iphone)in "My Music" folder before it was reimaged.When I got the new laptop I connected the iphone and restored it to factory settings without doing a back up on the new computer and I lost all my data. When I do the restore from back up there is nothing available in the options. Can someone help me how to get my data back from the iTunes folder which I have but cannot bring it onto the iphone.

Thanks.

• james hunter
    james hunter Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

Hi everyone,
    I recently blackra1ned my new 3gs on advice of my work mate and it worked great for about 2 weeks until I turned it off in a meeting and it now only comes up with the i tunes screen,I cant turn it off properly with the slide action,it wont register on itunes or register on my computer. I have tried the reset ( holding both buttons) but to no avail.
    devistated fan
    any help would be greatful.

• IpHONE EX
    IpHONE EX Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

Hi,

I have 1st generation iPhone & I want to upgrade to firmware 3. I have done this with one iphone. I have a big Question: Will my old backup will work with firmwarr 3? Presently I use 1.1.4.

Pls share.

• kellymills
    kellymills Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Options

backing up apple iphone mobile phone is very essential because the data within this phone is so important. i also used iphone 3g. we need to know how to backup data well. some times people use iphone backup software for keeping their data as backup...you could also try at http://www.iphonebackupmac.com

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 383
    via Wordpress
    Options

I reinstalled windows few days ago and i haven't installed itunes on it, i had itunes on previous windows and had my iphone synched on it but not on this one. I now put a passcode on my iphone and forgot it. Now i installed itunes but it wouldn't sync since it hasn't been synced with this one; and so i cannot even restore it. Can anybody help me out?

• Evans
    Evans Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    Options

I just upgraded to firmware 3.1.3 and locked up my iphone altho It was unlocked on 3.1.2. Any solution?

• DLT Tapes
    DLT Tapes Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

doesn't supported by MAC.. anyways good work! thanks to share

• shana
    shana Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

hi im having the same problem...did u find any results ??