New iPad's Retina Display Could Increase Data Usage

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageNew iPad's Retina Display Could Increase Data Usage

The new iPad brings with it a never seen before, 2048 by 1536 pixels retina display, which Apple promises would make everything on the screen "more lifelike." However, the enhanced viewing experience comes at a cost -- storage.

Read the full story here

Comments

• mkimid
    mkimid Posts: 227
    via Wordpress
    The answer is Yes, it will increase by huge,Actually, when i4 has anounced, the data usage also increased, specially, Goole Map is one of major data use.When open a page, in the old iPad, just need to fill 0.7M only, now it should fill 3.1M pixels,Even one page of map will use 1~4MB, if try to find aome location by dragging, it will use more 100MB within couple of minutes,
  • mkimid
    mkimid Posts: 227
    via Wordpress
    I have ordered 64GB model without any question. Because of some games takes couple of hundreds MB, even 1GB. The uncompressed files took more space. Specially, most of high end games use the uncompressed images to over come the process performance limit.
  • Kiwiholden
    Kiwiholden Posts: 189
    via Wordpress
    That's a really good point about maps I didn't even think about that. I use maps all the time on hybrid mode and some times just pan around and in and out when I get bored.
  • ant
    ant Posts: 11
    via Wordpress
    According to this the size doubles if you don't optimize images, but can be optimized down by 70% with the right tools.So maybe we just need better image compressors?
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    Best to get Wifi model then ;-p
  • Dl
    Dl Posts: 7
    via Wordpress
    This is just not true on the Iphone 4S and Siri is not using more data, it uses the same amount the 3gs did and I'm on the 250mb data plan never gone over it, use my Iphone 4s Daily and on standby constantly and I never had any battery problems.
  • Anthony
    Anthony Posts: 66
    via Wordpress
    I already told my parents to opt to get a 32 or 64 GB new iPad when we get ours whenever it comes to Sprint due to this issue. It would be nice if the updates only applied to new iPad users and us people on older, lower res. devices didn't have to download the updates. Guess its just apples way of making us spend the extra money to get the larger iPad.