Consumer Reports: New iPad Runs Hotter Than iPad 2, Doesn't Charge Under Heavy Load

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageConsumer Reports: New iPad Runs Hotter Than iPad 2, Doesn't Charge Under Heavy Load

Consumer Reports - a popular product review and comparison site have also confirmed that according to their tests, the new iPad runs significantly hotter than iPad 2. In fact, their iPad 3 reached a temperature of 116 degrees Fahrenheit while playing Infinity Blade II, which is more than the operating temperature limit on the new iPad's tech specs page.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 383
    via Wordpress
    Damn it, I hope they come up with a solution for the charging, I hate how slow the iPad charges as well... couldn't they develop a charger that when used with the new iPad it uses 30-40W while when it's plugged into an older device it downregulates to 10W? I'm assuming that's the only reason they left it at 10W, so it's backwards compatible.As for the heat it definitely gets annoying when playing, and I don't even have a case on yet, so once I got that, will it get so hot that I can't even play without lag?Btw, it gets hot even when you just browse the web etc, not just for heavy graphics in games!
  • sghfdhh
    sghfdhh Posts: 12
    via Wordpress
    Neither the above comments, nor the one quoted in the article, show any understanding of how electricity works.The power
  • sghfdhh
    via Wordpress
    rating of a charger is the maximum power it can supply safely, without melting, going on fire or producing an unstable voltage.The power going into a device is up to the device. The speed an iPad 3 can charge its battery is up to the iPad, not the charger: it decides how much power it can put into charging the battery, and must pick an amount that doesn't cause its total draw to exceed the rating of the power supply ('charger').Apple chargers communicate their maximum power rating to the device by holding the USB data pins at specific voltages; this way the device knows how much power it can use without overloading the charger. An iPod touch will draw 5w, whether it's plugged into a USB port, an iPod dock, or a 10w charger. An iPad, OTOH, will use more power if it's available.The capacity of the battery has no relation to the rate at which it can be charged, and there is a maximum safe charging current for any type of cell. This is why you can't, for instance, charge an electric car in thirty minutes.The iPad 2 used a lot of power as well. I'd be surprised if an iPad 2 or iPhone 4S could charge the battery at the same time as running a 3D game.Has Apple planned a 20w charger? Who knows. Owners of an iPad 3 might consider dicking about with the USB data voltages and seeing if it tries to pull more than an two amps.
  • sghfdhh
    via Wordpress
    To clarify, the issue is not whether a charger can supply 20w, but whether the iPad 3 can draw 20w. If it can't now, it would be impossible to add the functionality later.Reasons why it might not be possible anyway might include the power capacity of the dock connector and/or USB wire, charging rate of the battery, power capacity of the iPad's rails, and the ability to sink the heat from charging the battery faster.As for heat, most electronics is rated to temperatures far above 'comfortable to the touch' - components being soldered reach hundreds of degrees, and even in normal operation a CPU can be hotter than boiling water and still operate safely. I doubt the iPad 3 would slow down or go into thermal management, even under heavy load and in a case.One worry, though: the best way to shorten the life of your battery is to run it hot and discharge it fast. It would seem that gaming on the iPad 3 does both.
  • iOS5
    iOS5 Posts: 73
    via Wordpress
    I have the same issue with my new iPad. Charging is so damn slow and my gets hot to the point where it feels uncomfortable. I'm sure a software update could correct the issue. Come on apple. I tell you, only apple can get away with so many BS on new products.
  • iJohn
    iJohn Posts: 41
    via Wordpress
    Thanks for trying to help out the people without electrical engineering knowledge.
  • eggboy
    eggboy Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    mine gets pretty hot i can fry eggs
  • Frank
    Frank Posts: 215
    via Wordpress
    No say it ain't so .....apple made a mistake....it's no big deal as long As we only have a few fires apple can ignore this.....
  • KR
    KR Posts: 41
    via Wordpress
    Wow! I must Have a special one.No issue here. But then again its cold in Canada
  • Toronto
    Toronto Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Like which part of Canada. Toronto is hotter than the new ipad.
  • Trapp
    Trapp Posts: 109
    via Wordpress
    Easy solution! THey will release an iCharger - 40Watts charger for more demanding customers. Don't You get it? It's not a bug! It's a feature!
  • Trapp
    Trapp Posts: 109
    via Wordpress
    And if it's true then I'm back in line for an Super AMOLED display samsung serves in Note.
  • Apple
    Apple Posts: 105
    via Wordpress
    Well let's think. Anything u charge and use is going to give off heat. Also people holding a device for a long time also contributes heat after all we all are humans. Along with iPad 3 is being pushed to limits when running powerful graphics that require powerful processing. I thinks its normal so i agree with apple. If fires break out then we got a controversy
  • Not an issue
    Not an issue Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Of course it runs a little hotter. It's got more processing power & the only heatsinc is the back cover. I love mine & I'm no fanboy, I can't wait for the jailbreak so that I can do what apple says I can't
  • City023
    City023 Posts: 55
    via Wordpress
    Wow Apple never puts out a perfect product. Always a defect that has to be fixed by an update. When they have it for so long testing it. But fail to see that the charge and battery was the problem. smFh
  • Zed Sefi
    Zed Sefi Posts: 143
    via Wordpress
    It won't snowball into a controversy because the snow will melt!
  • Simo
    Simo Posts: 6
    via Wordpress
    I do not seem to have a heating issue but definitely have a charging issue. When connected to the provided charger, my iMac or my iPhones charger I get "Not Charging" next to the battery icon after about 30 sec. If I reboot it and then connect it without using it, it seems to charge OK. This is crap and very annoying. Have no such problems with the iPhone 4S on same chargers/imac.
  • ben
    ben Posts: 235
    via Wordpress
    sweet, i'll come over for breakfast.... just tell me when you plan on using it and ill make sure i give time to heat up, so in that case by the time i get there.... i can have some eggs waiting for me... lol
  • BillyJoebob
    BillyJoebob Posts: 0
    via Wordpress
    Do not have any of these problems. Charges fine, plays fine, no different heat, If any, than the ipad2
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    There goes, a software update to come soon.
  • lol
    lol Posts: 79
    via Wordpress
    Hmm yeah CPU running hotter then boiling water? Not only that but in notmal operation! LOL.. think he has Celsius and Farenheit mixed up!
  • sghfdhh
    via Wordpress
    That's "normal operation" as opposed to "being in a reflow oven".But yes, Intel have made a bunch of chips with a junction temperature of 100 Celsius
  • sghfdhh
    via Wordpress
    , and AMD and Nvidia also make chips that don't go into thermal management mode until they reach 105 degrees.To a chip, 46 degrees is nothing.
  • Jason
    Jason Posts: 585
    via Wordpress
    I guess apple's hotstuff-gate continues then. Jason smells a recall or at least a "got an app for that" campaign like they did with antena gate.
  • Ray Castic
    Ray Castic Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    One can always buy a Chevy Volt. They like to get hot and catch fire too.
  • Ray Castic
    Ray Castic Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    Make that two new iPads with no issues. Mine is as 64g, WiFi + 4G LTE, Verizon.No heat issue, and charges just fine.
  • Applemaster
    Applemaster Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    I just wandering if apple wants to launch a new app calles iphone iron!! Lol
  • drexx
    drexx Posts: 7
    via Wordpress
    You really believe a SOFTware update is going to correct a HARDware issue?
  • Kate
    Kate Posts: 12
    via Wordpress
    My new iPad gets hot, but then, so did my iPad 2. Frankly, I can't really feel the difference between hot and hotter since they both eventually get too hot to hold, so I just put in on the table when working high graphics, or on some heatinsulating stuff when holding it on my lap, like a newspaper or a placemat but most of the time I use just simply its own Smart Cover folded along the iPad's back. Works fine for me.Does charge slower though. Hope Apple will come with a better/larger charger soon.