New iPad Takes Much Longer to Charge Than iPad 2

Options
^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageNew iPad Takes Much Longer to Charge Than iPad 2

Couple of days back, we reported that the new iPad continues to draw power even after the iOS battery indicator reports 100% charge.

DisplayMate now reports that after testing the new iPad for some more time, they've observed that it draws power for more than 2 hours after the iOS battery indicator reports 100% charge.

Dr. Raymond Soneira of DisplayMate Technologies told PCMag:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Trapp
    Trapp Posts: 109
    via Wordpress
    Options
    And what did u expect? That twice as big battery would be charged anyway faster than twice as long? They are engineers not wizards.
  • Gilian777
    Gilian777 Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Supply bigger charger perhaps? Nice ! a sharper screen...but the Ipad is heavier, bigger, hotter and takes more than as long to charge...what's next?
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    Options
  • Ralph Montgomery
    Ralph Montgomery Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options
    So I am a technologist and would understand 25w=4 hours, 45w=7 hours as the comment above said "they are engineers not wizards!" so I asked my wife what she would expect and now I guess I understand all the hoopla: "It's just an upgrade, I wouldn't expect it to take any longer to charge than the older model". There you have it: The Average Consumer Opinion.Fix it Apple!
  • Tony
    Tony Posts: 145
    via Wordpress
    Options
    What, 7 hours to fully charge, this is laughable at best. Who wants to wait 7 hours to get a full charge. Man, Apple really blew it on this one.
  • Steve Sosan
    Steve Sosan Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Well mine takes about 5:30 hours to fully charge (reach %100),And 2-3 days to reach %10, depending on the useBut I have not noticed that it is heating up like everyone else, not even very warm!!Maybe I am not using it as intensely!Could someone give me an example of what app to use and for how long? so I can test it
  • Sedrick
    Sedrick Posts: 31
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Issue IS ont Orly wih thé charger but more wih the circuitry of the new iPad to provide more power. Even if you supplied through a 10 amps charger, it's up to the iPad electronics to make use of it.Add to that that the quicker the hotter it gets and the more your loose battery life in the long term.With that said I do agree that apple should have take care of both aspects instead of just fixing power consumption and not charging speed.
  • Sedrick
    Sedrick Posts: 31
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Sorry, typos from French spell checker .... IOs style LOL
  • Kimk69
    Kimk69 Posts: 213
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Well why didn't he check the iPad 2 too. I'm sure it does. They all do. iPhone's trickle Charge. You have to expect some of this. Who says everything has to be the same as previous. Now the case maker is gonna tell apple how to fix there s**t. Lol. Like the temperature runs 10 degree's hotter. So what. Quad core graphics with a hungry new screen and apps. Compare that to my MacBook pro playing a game or just watching a video. So it says a 100% and counts down normally as you use it. Knowing that if I leave it on there a little longer it will be able to be used for a while with the 100% staying there before it moves. I realize that when apple says the battery lasts 10 hours I'm sure there talking about it being on that fully full charge but so what. Apple is trying to squeak by making it sound a little better then what it is. Again, so what. 8 hours, 10 hours is awesome. The whole pad is practically a battery.
  • Kimk69
    Kimk69 Posts: 213
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Oh, I thought it was a case maker. Lol. My bad.
  • Thesunz
    Thesunz Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Is it just software error or hardware issue?
  • Luis Morales
    Luis Morales Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options
    All of these claims are way overblown and exaggerated. I have a 3rd generation iPad and I use it all day. I charge it overnight because I obviously sleep during nights. So no big deal, the iPad does not feel warm at all either. The media outlets need to make material and what better to attack then the biggest tech company in the world.
  • Don
    Don Posts: 111
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Just charge it overnight!
  • Don
    Don Posts: 111
    via Wordpress
    Options
  • Danny
    Danny Posts: 91
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Yeah, your bad. Many people are misunderstanding the issue here. If it is trickle charge, then there is nothing wrong with the software or hardware. The problem is that the new IPad shows 100% charge, yet continues to draw FULL power from the charger.It may not matter to the average Joe right now, but there problem is that will this issue cause the battery to lose its ability to retain its charge over time, like 6 months down the road.
  • Dr.kino
    Dr.kino Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Iphonehacks why decide for everyone that its not such a big deal?!make us people decide please for me it is a big deal! Eventhough it ha bigger battery not suppose to take THIS much longer to charge laptops have huge batteries too do they take this long to charge?!i don't think so!
  • iOS5
    iOS5 Posts: 73
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Don't know about you but mine has been warm since day one, even as I'm typing this right this moment. Unlike you I don't get 8 hr sleep so getting home tired and leaving early can easily make you miss a charge and that's an issue. With the op that said they go for 3 days before hitting 10% must really not be owning an iPad. No disrespect but you have no use for it expect for braging rights because you can offered it. My job takes me from site to site running different accounts throughout the day, sending and checking emails, running programs and using pandaro since I commute through the dc metro system. I will always take a rapid charge that will last me 5hrs than 10hr charge to last me for 10hrs.My 2 cents
  • Steve Sousan
    Steve Sousan Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Yes mine doesn't get warm at all, even after playing Mass Effect infiltrator, or watching live tv on Directv app.
  • Marcio
    Marcio Posts: 14
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Well, you´re happy guys. Mine took 12 hours (yes, 12) to get fully charged.That´s the post PC era, where MOBILITY is the key word... isn´t it, Apple?12 hours plugged on the wall... very mobile. Give me a break.
  • Hays
    Hays Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options
    I really feel bad with this New Ipad when I charge and at the same time doing with my application. Instead of charging, it keep decreasing the power instead of increasing. Furthermore it take ages to charge it back. when I call the customer service, they asked me not to use my ipad while charging. So wht is the point having it charged. I dont have problem with iphone and ipad2. Apple must immediate find a solution for all that. It just like iphone 4 when it was first launched. Having battery problem.
  • Jacqui Howard
    Jacqui Howard Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Options
    I bought an iPad 2 back in March. I won a iPad 3 May 25th. I noticed that my iPad 2, charges faster than the iPad 3. I also notice day one, that the iPad 3 does get warm. I never had that happen with my iPad 2. I really understand that with Retina screen is the big deal for iPad 3, and with more resolution, comes more power being used. No big deal. It just has to charge longer. Just enjoy using your iPad, charge over night, and everything will be fine. I have a Samsung galaxy precedent that gets warm, so some devices are like that. Apple will work out the kinks. It is trial and error. Do we want these things to happen? No! When you have a case on there, it is not too bad. We just have to be creative. . It will work, if you find ways to work it. Apple is still #1 over any android device tablet. Just enjoy it.
  • Jacqui Howard
    Jacqui Howard Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Options
  • Trysha Cambra
    Options
    I bought the iPad 3 for my daughter's ninth birthday and she loves it, I put it on the charger every night, close out all running apps, and power off while charging. It is charging for 10-12 hours every night and is never 100% charged. It runs out of power several times a day, which leaves my children very upset. We have had this problem since they day it came out the box. Is there anything I can do to help charge the iPad to 100% overnight so it will not run out of power during the day. I know the adapter is good, because it charges my iPhone 4 from 0%-100% in less than an hour. Please help so I can have some peace at home. Thanks readers! :)
  • Trysha Cambra
    Options
    Also it takes an hour to charge every 1% while charging in the car with a very high charging adapter that was very expensive and was professionally installed. And can not be used while charging. I've being regretting this purchase since the day I bought it the day it was released. :(
  • Cydiahelpsux
    Options
    Also it takes an hour to charge every 1% while charging in the car with a very high charging adapter that was very expensive and was professionally installed. And can not be used while charging. I've being regretting this purchase since the day I bought it the day it was released. :(
    If its running out of charge several times a day and taking more than 10 hours to charge it sounds like it has a hardware fault, I'd return it for a replacement ASAP