Girls Around Me - Creepy Geo-Location App Removed From The App Store After Foursquare Cuts Off API A

Options
^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageGirls Around Me - Creepy Geo-Location App Removed From The App Store After Foursquare Cuts Off API Access

Yesterday, Cult Of Mac reported about "Girls Around Me" app - a creepy geo-location app that used data from Facebook and Foursquare to reveal location of women nearby without their knowledge. 

Foursquare was quick to respond to the privacy concerns raised by Cult of Mac and promptly cut-off API access to the app and issued the following statement:

Read the full story here

Comments

• pakaku
    pakaku Posts: 31
    via Wordpress
    Options
    The app objectifies women and is just plain creepy. I am glad it was taken down.
  • SayWhay
    SayWhay Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    Options
    So, I just checked into it and it turns out that you're wrong....There is nothing 'creepy' about objectifying women...i'm sorry but you've been misinformed...
  • Bris
    Bris Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Options
    HAHAH !!! SO FUNNY!
  • Gilberto
    Gilberto Posts: 17
    via Wordpress
    Options
    I wonder if he ment Women Around Me?I understand how some people could take the girls part as being creepy. The Internet has a similar website that list sex offenders around your location for the cautious people you might wanna check that out.
  • unreal
    unreal Posts: 51
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Interesting app, actually. Machines have always amplified people. In the past, it's always been physical. And culture turned a blind eye to the people who were "put out" by this trend, in the name of advancement. Machines give "god-like" strength. A single man can smash a building down, with a few well placed hits with a wrecking ball.Now, machines are amplifying our perception. We get vast amounts of information. Now, a single man can see into the lives of millions of people. A "god-like" perception, wouldn't you say?Is man fit to be a god?Look around and ask yourself: do I want these people to have god-like power over me?If not, then subtract yourself from the data feed.
  • solferico
    solferico Posts: 21
    via Wordpress
    Options
    I don't see why this app is tagged as creepy. First, because it uses information that is publicly available, and it is so because the users (girls or not) made it that way. And second, because, being honest, we all have gone out to clubs and discos where girls were. It' older than the univerae
  • solferico
    solferico Posts: 21
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Not more than white pages
  • Yung tps
    Yung tps Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Im so mad I missed this app! I want to see chicks around me! Lol. And how in this world is the app creepy? The info is available on Facebook. You can even filter your search to find women around you. Just because it's "find women", it becomes a sensitive issue right? I'm sure a good % of those women won't mind unless if the media confronts them about it, then they'll just try to conform to societal values and norms, which aren't essentially realistic. The app is not creppy, please bring it back. Facebook and other apps sell all your info all day and this is considered creepy? Even foursquare probably anonymously sells your info too. People need to stop being so sensitive. Worry about bigger issues like Zimmerman still hanging out in his house after killing a 17 year old boy with so much ambition.
  • happenstance
    happenstance Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Options
    good luck with that attitude... will get you far in life.of COURSE its creepy. geeze... just put yourself in the shoes of others for a change and quit thinking like a 14yr old kid.
  • SayWhay
    SayWhay Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    Options
    So, does your boyfriend know you're gay? 'Geeze'?? Freak...
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Quick removal to be honest, did not know Apple will be so swift.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 383
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Does anyone have this app? And if so can I borrow your acct so I can download it from I cloud because it saves there and it's able to be re dwonlaoded even if it was removed from the app store...