U.S. Carriers Working On Centralized Database To Track Stolen Mobile Phones

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageU.S. Carriers Working On Centralized Database To Track Stolen Mobile Phones

The Wall Street Journal carries a report on the major four U.S. carriers working with the government to build a central database of stolen or lost mobile phones. This database would then be used by the authorities to disable and locate these mobile phones.

Read the full story here

Comments

• iOS5
    iOS5 Posts: 73
    via Wordpress
    Hmmm...eBay is about to lose their phone business. Lol
  • Victor
    Victor Posts: 54
    via Wordpress
    Colombia this is already working on all carriers, would be better if you know that the phone coulnt work on any country, if they work all together.I just got my iphone stolen, I had to reported to get my number back, so i coul not wait for they to turn it on and used the feature "find my iphone", should be a way that apple or any other brand block it at the time it uses wifi.
  • Tali
    Tali Posts: 12
    via Wordpress
    Apple needs to participate in this as well. All a thief needs to do is swap it out for a refurb with Apple and they'll be good to go. Also, if Apple allowed you to go on their site like they do for warranty checks then people looking to buy a potentially used iPhone could verify if it was flagged as stolen before purchasing a used iPhone.
  • Michael
    Michael Posts: 316
    via Wordpress
    Are you mental? You can't just swap out your phone for a refurb. To even setup an appointment at the Apple Store you need to verify the SN of your phone and your identity.
  • Michael
    via Wordpress
    Apple should of already had a system in place where once you report the phone stolen with a police report they will "brick" it when someone hooks it up to iTunes.
  • Frank
    Frank Posts: 215
    via Wordpress
  • mike
    mike Posts: 489
    via Wordpress
    only thing I worried about is what if I bought a phone on ebay or etc and the person then files a claim for a lost/stolen phone so he can do a insurance job to get another phone then I would be out of a couple hundred dollars and have a useless phone . I believe this is a way to get people to sign contracts and/or buy phones full price directly from the 4 major carriers.
  • Michael
    via Wordpress
    If you have proof that you purchased the phone from the individual and they pull this stunt then you have evidence of them committing fraud. The rest is self explanatory.
  • Faisal
    Faisal Posts: 34
    via Wordpress
    This should also be brought to other countries.