Google Co-founder Sergey Brin Calls Apple's App Store a Threat to Open Internet

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageGoogle Co-founder Sergey Brin Calls Apple's App Store a Threat to Open Internet

In an interview with The Guardian, Google's co-founder, Sergey Brin, said that besides government censorship and anti-piracy laws like SOPA, the biggest threat to the open internet are "walled gardens" run by Facebook and Apple. 

From The Guardian:

Read the full story here

Comments

• FredMC
    FredMC Posts: 73
    via Wordpress
    they want open internet so they can mind all your personal info from everything that you use. Screw that! Whatever happened to "Don't Be Evil"?
  • Steve Harvey
    Steve Harvey Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Private markets are just as important as public markets to increase innovation and enforce design standards. I also disagree that private and controlled platforms stifle innovation. Look at the way smartphone usage (My Mom just got one!) and new hardware features have increased since the iphone's release. It seems that they have accelerated.
  • G33k 69
    G33k 69 Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    **** the New World Order fuking Illuminati **** assholes
  • Rounak
    Rounak Posts: 269
    via Wordpress
    Exactly, there's no way we would have seen the innovation we've seen in native apps, if we were still living in the world of only web apps.
  • Hmmm?
    Hmmm? Posts: 59
    via Wordpress
    I don't think he mentioned them because they are competitors but rather because they are well known companies. Wouldn't be much of an example if he mentioned companies no one has heard of. And I am sure they actually want the app ecosystem to thrive. That's what drives innovation. His arguments for Facebook and Apple are to certain point valid. Quick example would be Apple denying certain apps that are not in their best interests and Facebook who can pull your contacts from Gmail but not vice versa. It's the rising popularity of these ecosystems that he is worried about. But his main point is the Government and Entertain industry are the biggest enemies but Apple and Facebook don't help.
  • Kimk69
    Kimk69 Posts: 213
    via Wordpress
    Yeah okay, but what, doesn't that happen toBe like there 2 biggest rivals?
  • pac
    pac Posts: 15
    via Wordpress
    Never mind the fact that Google's idea of an open internet is the ability to farm every ounce of data you transmit for use in targeted ad campaigns that show up the most unlikely places (see: credit reports, insurance audits, job applications). Also forget about the fact that their "open" market model - without any standards or policing - is responsible for an 800% increase in android malware in six months time (2011). I'd rather have my "walled-garden" approach; at least I know my data isn't being cultivated for shady ends.