3G iPhone and AT&T: 3G Coverage, Where to Buy, Cost, Subsidy, Tariff plans and lots more

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
image3G iPhone and AT&T: 3G Coverage, Where to Buy, Cost, Subsidy, Tariff plans and lots more

If you are in the US and one of those who is excited about the 3G iPhone which was launched yesterday by Steve Jobs at Apple's WWDC event and are planning to buy it when it is released on July 11th in US then you might want to run through...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Amit
    Amit Posts: 40
    via Wordpress

thanx for the information about the plans and upgrade, but i want to know, do i have to pay $30 for unlimited data plan if i ugrade from 2g iphone to 3g iphone though my area does not support 3g network ? if i m allowed to stick with my $20 unlimited data plan for using 2g network though my phone support 3g then i m ready to upgrade .

• g rod
    g rod Posts: 41
    via Wordpress

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/popUp_3g.jsp that map is not entirely accurate. click the link above for a more detailed listing of cities that offer 3g.

• Amit
    Amit Posts: 40
    via Wordpress

thanx for the link i did check it and my area does not have 3g network. What i want to know is if i upgrade to 3g iphone will i be charged $30 per month for unlimited data or $20 as i don't use 3g network because they don't have 3g in my area.

• JG
    JG Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Are there any difference in buying the new model compared to the old regarding AT&T?
    I got mine from the US, but live in Denmark - so i never used the AT&T... Will this still be possible?

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey Amit,

The 3G iPhone will default back to EDGE data support in areas where there is no 3G coverage.

However users will still have to pay for 3G data i.e. $30 per month. It is important to note here that this is a standard procedure for data plans on 3G-enabled smartphones so it is not something different for the 3G iPhone.

cheers!

• Louis
    Louis Posts: 180
    via Wordpress

That's a lot of info! Thanks......

• Joe
    Joe Posts: 450
    via Wordpress

I saw an article in the NYtimes that if you buy the new 3G iPhone and sign up for a new 2 year contract that you will then be locked in with that phone for two years. And will not be able to upgrade even if Apple comes out with a new version(which we all know will happen-see xmas last year). This is a dealbreaker for me. And for iphone/Apple lovers as well. Why would I want to be stuck with the same phone for for two years if they come out with a better one. Any more info on this?

• Michael C
    Michael C Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

I know, i hear ya, im getting kinda sick of it too. Plus just sell the dam iphone if people can pay cash. This would be a good way to help poor people biuld credit but they just don`t want to deal with the poor ,,,,it has nothing to do with unlocking trust me. Just call the iphone "go phone line" and take a listen to how rude the bot voice is at att. I did not buy into a class war but more and more it seems like i did. If you do not have any credit they still sell you the iphone but they put you on a "go phone account".That cost more and give less mins such a way to treat people is very sad. Might they have some bad karma calling?humm!

• joseph khawaja
    joseph khawaja Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

how can i buy 3g iphone without at&t plan.i want only the phone to use it overseas.is it possible?

• joseph khawaja
    joseph khawaja Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

how can i buy 3g iphone without at&t plan.i want only the phone to use it overseas.is it possible?

• Mei
    Mei Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I just bought a 3G iPhone and signed up for a 3G plan. I'm regretting it now cos I just found out that there's no 3G coverage where I live. Can I call AT&T and revert to my original 2G plan?