Facebook Messenger For iPhone Updated; Gets Read Receipt, Typing Indicator & More

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageFacebook Messenger For iPhone Updated; Gets Read Receipt, Typing Indicator & More

Facebook has released an update for their standalone messenger app for iPhone.

The update brings new features such as the ability to see if someone has read your message, typing indicator etc.

Here's the list of new features and improvements:

Now it’s even easier to reach groups of friends on the go:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Dudley
    Dudley Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
  • Scotchua
    Scotchua Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    I'm glad people can't disable read receipt. It's a useful feature.
  • Huge
    Huge Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    How do we text friends? How is it different from messaging?
  • Sorcerer
    Sorcerer Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Actually I am not glad at all. I want to be able to read my friends' messages and ignore them because I'm busy or I'm in company, without making my friends feel ignored. This doesn't have anything to do with "communicating transparantly" or "being true" or whatever Facebook calls it. It's just practical: I decide when I respond. I decide when it's not polite to even finish reading a (long) message because I'm in company. Facebook creates expectations when they say I've "read" a message.Also, this feature could be very distressing for some people with personality disorders or just insecurities (which are WAY more people than you think). It's really selfish and ignorant to ignore those people. You probably really underestimate the distress this may cause to some people who've seen you read (or 'have seen') their message but who haven't responded to it yet. I must admit that even I know that feeling.If you send me a message and it's really important I reply or confirm I read it, I will just message you back. Like "ok, will do!" in the example screenshot in the article above. Or just call me if you really want to be sure.So, Facebook, please let me disable this and let me respond when I feel fit instead of creating expectations on my behalf.
  • Why isn't Messenger showing "read" receipts on my phone anymore?