Agile Messenger is the best Instant Messenger (IM) for the Hacked iPhone

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageAgile Messenger is the best Instant Messenger (IM) for the Hacked iPhone

One of the biggest disappointments of the first generation iPhone has to be the lack of instant messaging app. It was even more disappointing to find out that the Apple's iChat app for the iPhone will not be available via the AppStore when the iPhone firmware 2.0 is released on...

Read the full story here

Comments

• joop
    joop Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I'm using Meebo and also i was happy that Agile Messenger was released for the iPhone. But this app crashes more than that it works. Still needs some work, i guess.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey Joop,

You are right, after using it for a longer time, I have observed that it is still a bit buggy as it crashes quite a bit. I guess to be fair to them its still in beta.

I will also checkout Meebo, surprisingly I haven't reviewed it.

Thanks for the feedback.

cheers!

• Death2078
    Death2078 Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

Wow I can't believe u never heard of meebo....anyways there r more

1. www.meebo.com (best one)
    2. www.flickim.com (only for aim, really good but it doesn't work sometimes)
    3. www.ebuddy.com (it does the job, not too reliable)

• Distortedloop
    Distortedloop Posts: 64
    via Wordpress

I came across this the other day before reading your post here. It's really well done. No crashing for me, but be careful letting it run in the background, it really eats through the battery life! You're gonna need an external battery pack (like the mophie juicepack) or plugged in to the USB to run this full time in the background.

I imagine on 3G phones, the drain will be even worse.

• Jacko
    Jacko Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

I caution anyone downloading this (Agile).
    I got it free on CNET, but today my phone has been charged with dialing out on the GPS, when it was in the charger, nobody home.
    I dunno if it is Agile, but I'll know soon, as I uninstalled it.

• jack
    jack Posts: 149
    via Wordpress

Update !.. Something amiss with Agile..
    I uninstalled it today, and no more mystery calls on my GPS ..

• JakkOne
    JakkOne Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

"It can be used to send instant messages, photo, voice and video messages"

I don't see how to send the voice or the video messages.

• Jacko
    via Wordpress

My bad... somehow the Agile download was dialing out on my edge network.
    Uninstalled it, now all is well.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey JakkOne,

Thanks for highlighting the mistake, I have updated the post accordingly.

Hey Jacko,

Thats quite a freaky issue but why would it be doing that beats me.

I checked their site to see if I could find something and the closest I came to was this note:

If you are using Agile Messenger for the first time and are getting the “unable to connect to server” message when you attempt to login then there is something wrong with your GPRS connection.
    (Link for reference - http://www.agilemobile.com/faq.html)

I am not sure if that error made you believe that Agile was dialing out.

cheers!

• surf
    surf Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

You've a nicely done site with lots of effort and good updates. I would like to welcome you to submit your stories to www.surfurls.com and get that extra one way traffic to your site.

• Jacko
    via Wordpress

since I have an unlocked iphone, I'm using a ATT prepaid sim card. The agile program was actually dialing out, getting no place, but I would watch my balance dropping and the GPRS system was engaged. Yea, very strange.

• TY
    TY Posts: 41
    via Wordpress

I love this App, it still needs work as it is a port from other OS's like Windows Mobile and Blackberry. But it's pretty full featured for what it does.

As for "dialing out" if you have it set to Auto connect, then anytime it sees and edge connection your user ID's will try and connect to their respective networks.

I am wondering if this is going for sale in Apples App store?

But great job. This is the best IM for the IPhone yet!

Meebo is good but it's browser only so it's very easy to get kicked out, you don't know when you have new messages if you are not in the browser etc.

• essmoe
    essmoe Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

App crashes way too often! as is w/ fring, it does not recognize hyperlinks to be clickable... :-/

this is still in the beta stage. so, hopefully these quirks will be fixed and better features will be implemented! :-)

• Jon
    Jon Posts: 116
    via Wordpress

I would love to see this and the other apps for jailbreak 2.0 phones!

• Jon
    Jon Posts: 116
    via Wordpress

I would love to see this and the other apps for jailbreak 2.0 phones!

• h2
    h2 Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

So what happened to this App? Looks like it disapeared of the face of the earth. Not in Installer or Cydia.

• Interflop
    Interflop Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Agile didn't get ported over to 2.x yet.

• Im_guy
    Im_guy Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Agile messenger is a total piece of ****. I also think they can read all of your messages you send through their program.

• Sarju
    Sarju Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

same here m also not able to find agile messenger in installer or cydia did u get or find?

• Lil Angel
    Lil Angel Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I think what you guys would be interested in this multiple connectivity Instant Messenger. I have this to share with all readers that I had just found this Friendplay Instant Messenger that comes with MSN, AIM, YM and GTalk connectivity. Try download it from http://th.im.friendplay.com/ , and install it into your phone and stay connected with everyone..... ENJOY.....