More iPhone 3G tidbits trickling in: No Tethering, Upgrading Policy, 2nd Proximity Sensor & more

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageMore iPhone 3G tidbits trickling in: No Tethering, Upgrading Policy, 2nd Proximity Sensor & more

Its been almost a week since Steve Jobs announced the new iPhone 3G at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference 2008 and we are slowly getting to know more tidbits about the next generation iPhone. We now have details on AT&T's upgrade policy if you are considering to buy iPhone 3G, also...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Will
    Will Posts: 104
    via Wordpress

When you say that people who purchased before May 27th will have to sign a new 2 year deal, does that mean they will also trade their phone in and get the 3g version for free or will they just get the 199 and 299 price after they sign up for another 2 year?

Thanks

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey Will,

You will still need to pay the same as any other customer, which is $199 for the 8GB and $299 for the 16GB after signing another new 2-year contract to upgrade to the new iPhone 3G.

All this means is it will overwrite your old contract so you're just locked into another 2 years, not 3 years.

The trade in is only for those who bought an iPhone after 27th May.

cheers!

• Will
    Will Posts: 104
    via Wordpress

Thanks, I understand now... Would you sell your iPhone now or wait until after release. I know it would seem to make sense to sell now, however with the posssibllity of the 3g iphone not being unlockable do you think that the prices will be driven up for the phone by non at&t customers?

Thanks!

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Since you are already using the iPhone I guess it makes sense to sell your current iPhone only after you have bought the new 3G iPhone.

Your decision to buy the 3G iPhone should probably depend on whether you need an unlocked iPhone 3G or a hacked iPhone 3G with all your favorite unofficial native iPhone apps installed or you are craving for the latest and greatest version of the iPhone.

If you need a hacked or unlocked iPhone then you should probably buy the 3G iPhone when the iPhone hacking community have been able to jailbreak and unlock it otherwise just buy 3G iPhone when it is released on July 11 and old one for sale on eBay or Craiglist.

cheers!

• JoJo
    JoJo Posts: 11
    via Wordpress

Quick questions about the 3G iPhone.....

I seriously do not want to another two year contract with att so I am considering just buying the phone off ebay or craigslist. Do you think there is a way I can just place my current sim card in the 3G iphone and the 3G access for the current price I am paying now $20 w/o att know I have the new phone?
    I know if I place my sim card in an att 3G phone (htc tilt or htc 8525) I get 3g access.
    Like the att rep told me a long time ago the sim card just tells the phone you have data access..
    Also, any info on copy and paste??
    Thanks in advance...

• laloj
    laloj Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

http://www.tech-exposed.com

Alright already, just release the dang thing. I've got my money burning a hole in my pocket.

• Louis
    Louis Posts: 180
    via Wordpress

Just sold my 8 gig iphone for $300.00 ... The other erase method worked. It's a sellers market out there...Didn't know there were so many desperate folks out there wanting an iphone. Sold it on craigslist for $300.00. Could not believe people were offing me $50.00 more just to deliver the phone. you may even get $400 for that used one year old phone. Trying doing that with an old razor phone.

For safety just meet someplace public like a bank or Starbucks, any place that has surveillance since there are scrupulous buyers out there that may take advantage of sellers. Now I wait for the new iphone and am using my unlocked Nokia 6030. Been thrown back into the stone ages... Waiting for the wheel to be reinvented...

Once the new iphones sell for 199, getting 300 or 400 for your current phone won't be possible. The supply will over exceed the demand. Remember! If little Jonny can hack the pentagon at age 15 don't worry it's not national security, It's only an iphone...It will only be a matter of days before some child prodigy figures this out.!

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2168842,00.asp

Just remember to donate to the folks who invented the installer.

• Louis
    Louis Posts: 180
    via Wordpress

For those who plan to sell their iphone and are still on the att network you can buy a go`phone for $14.00 and it will work with you att chip that was in your iphone..Don't activate the chip that comes with the go phone..

I'll be back!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8412345&st=go+phone&type=product&id=1181347746128

• louactor
    louactor Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Hi,
    I bought my iphone after the 27th and unlocked it. If I trade it in, will they make me sign up for AT&T or let me leave the store with it?

• dodo
    dodo Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

WILL IT BE JAILBROKEN,,,,,,WOW 3G IPHONE WITH MXTUBE AND ALL THE COOL FREE STUFF PEOPLE COME OUT WIT