Apple's iTunes Store goes down causing problems with iPhone Activation & iPhone Firmware 2.0 updates

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageApple's iTunes Store goes down causing problems with iPhone Activation & iPhone Firmware 2.0 updates

In case you are getting the following error "Cannot connect to iTunes Store. Please try again later (-9838)" every time you connect to the iTunes store like iPhone Hacks readers, Jay and Jon have reported, then you are not alone. Apple seems to have unfortunately run into problems thanks to...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Sam
    Sam Posts: 218
    via Wordpress

iphone firmware 2.0 is now available to download through itune 7.7 i figured i should let you know...

• Jorge
    Jorge Posts: 125
    via Wordpress

everything going smooth here in las vegas they don't seem to have any problems. Only no more 16gb iPhone

• Sam
    Sam Posts: 218
    via Wordpress

Update 1: There WAS an update for 2.0 but then after I reconnect Iphone it reverted to back to 1.1.4 update (i haven't updated from 1.1.3 to 1.1.4 yet)
    It seems to me the update server at very unstable state.

• Mitch
    Mitch Posts: 34
    via Wordpress

Sigh...waited on line for many hours, despite being around 15th in line at a local AT&T store. First, after waiting from 6:15 or so till 8AM, at 8:30 they let 10 people in...and report that due to a fedex plane issue, that is all they had, but were expecting more by 10. At around 9:30 they received another 30 phones (nowhere near enough for the 60 or so people on line). Well, I waited like a champ and at around 10 after 11 I finally got my hands on a 3g iphone...an INACTIVE 3g iphone. No way to activate...no way to use the old one...basically it's a complete cluster you know what.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the update, keep them coming.

Here is some advice from folks at Mac Rumors:
    "Readers should NOT upgrade to the 2.0 Firmware until Apple resolves their server activation issues. If you do upgrade and are unable to connect to the iTunes servers, your iPhone will be left in an unusable state."

So I guess you are better off waiting until we know that the issue has been resolved for good.

Its surprising that there are no problems observed in Vegas as it seems to be affecting people all over the world.

Anyways, stay tuned.

cheers!

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 267
    via Wordpress

fuckkkkkkk! i just try to upgrade to 2.0 this morning and now i sool with a non working 1g phone!

• kody epperson
    kody epperson Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

method to downgrade original iphone back to 1.1.4

http://sleepers.net/news/?page_id=216

• Jorge
    Jorge Posts: 125
    via Wordpress

well i finally got my hands on a 8gb iphone no more 16gb. but to my bad luck mu iphone is useless for the moment. i can even activated online

• Louis
    Louis Posts: 180
    via Wordpress

Once you're in the store it will take 1 hour before you can leave. There is a line inside too....Not to mention they won't let you leave the store without activating the iphone..No hacktivation from home...

Dare not call it activation. They call it personalize. After you buy the phone they say: Walk this way while take you downstairs personalize your phone. I said what do you mean personalize. They are like well we don't say activation the new terminology is personalize.

When you walk into the store the Apple Employees clap like in Apple bees when they sing happy birthday.

The fix for the -9838 error is click ok, then click on music/unplug phone/plug in/click iphone again and it should work after 3 or 4 times of: ok at error/music/iphone.... What you got for free before Apple is now charging for it... Remember the iflash~light you got in the apptap now 99 cents.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey Louis,

Thanks for that and also your email.

I forgot to thank you for the news tip, I have updated the post accordingly.

You might want to also check out this post on how to fix your iPhone which might have been iBricked due to the activation errors.

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/07/fix-errors.html

Folks,

Sorry to hear about the problems you are all facing, lets hope it gets resolved soon.

cheers!

• Boomersmech
    Boomersmech Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

Arrived at Apple in San Diego Fashion Valley store at 4:50 was let in at 9:15am (was 73 in line) Had major issues about some friggen discount that was on my account? Call AT&T before you go to apple and verify you DO NOT have any discounts on your account. I had one that was getinging me a discount of $0.00?? I had the rep take it off the account over the phone (which took almoast 30 minutes to get ahold of) then we got the upgrade taken care of.. The activation was taking several HOURS! They said go home and try it will work there with no issue! From my home my connection is getting denied, Apple may have just blocked all non-Apple network traffic. Stay the several hours and get activated in the store!!!! I have my unactivated 3g and unactivated 2g... No calls or texts for me!

• Boomersmech
    Boomersmech Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

Finally after 30 or 40 tries I got it to authorize (personalize) my 3G .. A friend also said his worked as well looks like the auth server is moving a tad quicker!

Good luck to all!

• Louis
    Louis Posts: 180
    via Wordpress

Actually thank you! For providing an educational informative alternate source to a better solution for those not wanting to conform to the 2.0 or betta...

Apple may have cut a deal with the Dev team providing them with some sort of incentive so they would not release the solution for jailbreaking 2.0. Cause if they do it too early no~one will buy the free flashlight for 99 cents. Am all for anonymous donations but the cost of apps will over exceed what we paid for the phone.... All in all 2.0 is pretty cool..We're all gonna be walking widgets...It's like the app installer.

Waiting to get out of jail, do not pass go and pay AT&T $200.00 for not conforming to plans or services...

I don't get it! 400 anytime minutes 5,000 nights and weekends... Everybody I know sleeps at night and is out having fun on the weekends. I need my phone during the week not the weekend...

• vee
    vee Posts: 10
    via Wordpress

Help!!

I have an iPhone 1G bought in the states, activated it in Canada with Rogers but can't use it since I upgraded software (2.0)!!