iPhone Firmware 2.0 Released

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhone Firmware 2.0 Released

Apple has released the much awaited iPhone firmware 2.0 which will give you access to iTunes AppStore from your iPhone or iPod Touch after it is installed. You can check out the instructions (after the jump) to update your iPhone with the latest firmware as it is not yet available...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Daniel
    Daniel Posts: 173
    via Wordpress

using safari on mac to download the update caused it to automatically be unarchived. itunes does not seem to like the extracted file and I don't know how to encode an .ipsw file (probably just zip, but I'm not taking chances).

I used curl from a terminal to retrieve it:

open a terminal from Applications/Utilities

then type:

curl [url from above] -o ~/Desktop/iPhone1,2_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw

ALL ON ONE LINE

you will get the upgrade on your desktop

• hopefulziphoned
    hopefulziphoned Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

Had a bricked 1.1.4 after using ziphone (frozen activation screen). I have tried downgrading/restoring.....you name it. Thought I would give 2.0 a try. Now it looks like everything works. At least it's not bricked anymore.

• DLoop
    DLoop Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

managed to brick my backup phone. forget to virginize it, now it's stuck in DFU mode, and iTunes, Ziphone, iPownage, nothing can get it out. Good thing I bought AppleCare on it last week before it expired.

• David Blankenbaker
    via Wordpress

I just updated my jailbroken (ZiPhone) 1.1.4 iPhone using the downloaded 2.0 image. The iPhone hung after the reboot and wouldn't reconnect to iTunes. Powercycling the iPhone fixed it and phone came up on 2.0. iTunes "Restore" restored the data settings. Songs and videos are missing, but I am resyncing those.

• simtago
    simtago Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

i'm unable to select the 2.0 update from my desktop....any help ?

• simtago
    simtago Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

using mac os x 10.5.4 - i'm holding the option key and selecting the check for update. the zip file is on my desktop, but i'm unable to select it.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey simtago,

iTunes is looking for a ipsw file, so you will need to rename the .zip file to a .ipsw file to be able to select it.

However, I have just updated the post based on a report by Engadget, please do read the update and proceed with the firmware update with caution.

cheers!

• Sean
    Sean Posts: 138
    via Wordpress

I updated both mine and my wifes phones and have not noticed any issues. We have only been playing with them for an hour or two though.

• Amit
    Amit Posts: 40
    via Wordpress

I tried most of the feature listed above and seems right except save photo from safari. Has anyone tried and can tell me how to do it.

• David Blankenbaker
    via Wordpress

No issues with my phone. In Safari, hold your finger on the image and the dialog to save will pop up. Love the "Remote" app.

• Jay
    Jay Posts: 295
    via Wordpress

The download and install occurred but now it is stuck in emergency call only mode. Every time I connect to iTunes I get a "Cannot connect to iTunes Store. Please try again later (-9838)" An ideas?

• Jon
    Jon Posts: 116
    via Wordpress

I am having the same issue.

Stuck at the emergency screen and itunes cant connect.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Hey Guys,

Its looks like Apple is having problem with the servers.

Here is the official word from AT&T on the issue:
    "We have had reports that customers attempting to download new iTunes 7.7 software to their new iPhone may get an error message saying "page not found." We have reported this issue to Apple. While Apple works to resolve this issue, we are asking customers to sync their newly activated phone later at home."

Gizmodo reported the following:
    "A 'teal shirt' apple representative came out to let us know they are having difficulty accessing accounts on the iTunes system."

cheers!

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

I have now published a post on the issue, so you can check for more updates on the ongoing issue:

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/07/itunesstoredown.html

cheers!

• Sean
    Sean Posts: 138
    via Wordpress

Odd... I was prompted with the iPhone 2.0 update window when I checked for updates, but when I hit cancel to think twice, I come back a few minutes later and try to update and it seems it thinks 1.1.4 is the current firmware.

Any ideas?

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Hey Sean,

I observed a similar issue as well. It seems to be due to the issue reported here:
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/07/itunesstoredown.html

I guess Apple has turned off the firmware updates to resolve the ongoing issue (probably not turned off on all their servers so you got it first time).

cheers!