iPhone 3G FAQ: How to replace your original iPhone with new iPhone 3G

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhone 3G FAQ: How to replace your original iPhone with new iPhone 3G

Apple has published a support document for those planning to upgrade to new iPhone 3G and were wondering how to replace their original iPhone with new iPhone 3G. The details have raised a concern for all those who might have already sold their original iPhone to buy the new iPhone...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Louis
    Louis Posts: 180
    via Wordpress

Hummm that's me.. Hopefully I'll be able to transfer the old backup onto the new i~phone.

After I sold my i~phone and put my SIM card into the go-phone, it downgraded my data plan totally removing it automatically (but left the talk plan on) without having to call AT&T central.

I am assuming if one buys the i~phone and puts their current SIM card into it there will be no need to call customer services, since plans are automatically implicated according to which phone registers with AT&T Central.

Since my data plan was removed, will make the call to make sure it's back on the plan so one doesn't wind up with a surprise phone bill that will take 5 years to pay off. Call centers may be busy but go the extra mile.

Contacts will be easy to put back on, but what was really important to me are the notes...If you take the notes app and drag it to your desktop you can read/filter it out with your text editor.

Even though everything is backed up in the mobile file am hoping it can be restored or is upgraded and taken for the ride in itunes with the update...

When I called to cancel my t-mobile account the rep said to wait, there is a new google phone coming out that will blow away the i~phone. i doubt it, but he did offer me their unlimited data plan for $5.99 if I had an unlocked i~phone. "Really!" I said, like I was totally oblivious to what's an unlocked i~phone..........Will have to see on Sat.

• JFA
    JFA Posts: 20
    via Wordpress

Backups: You can back up your data as you normally do with your current iTunes.
    You will need iTunes 7.7 but when you finally have either the 2.0 release or the 3G.
    Your basic iPhone settings will survive the upgrade. I tested upgrading from 1.1.4 and 2.0 b4 (5a240d) and the backed up settings transfered normally.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey JFA,

Thats good to know, so Louis, you have nothing to worry.

cheers!

• Arisa
    Arisa Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

iTunes 7.7? At the Apple site, all it's showing for download is 7.6, and the iTunes updater is telling me that there's nothing new to download (I'm also using 7.6).

Is the 7.7 a typo, or is a new version of iTunes being released between now and the 3G drop date?

• surf
    surf Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

You've a nicely done site with lots of effort and good updates. I would like to welcome you to submit your stories to www.surfurls.com and get that extra one way traffic to your site.

• Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 17
    via Wordpress

Crap, I already sold mine. I feel like I have been iDupped!

• kelly
    kelly Posts: 22
    via Wordpress

Well, so can I still use my old iPhone like a touch and get the wi-fi?
    Keep it cracked? Will I have to restore my hacked edge iPhone to do the sim card switch?

• kelly
    kelly Posts: 22
    via Wordpress

Oh darn, I guess I should fully read the article before posting.

• Tran
    Tran Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

This guide explains how to transfer sms, notes, apps, songs, videos, and photos from iPhone 3G to iPhone 4. It can help to replace your current iPhone 3G with a newly purchased iPhone 4 using the same carrier.