Send Free SMS using AOL's AIM iPhone App

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
Send Free SMS using AOL's AIM iPhone App

We have already seen a method to send and receive free SMS using iPhone 3G. This is another way to send free SMS if you just bought an iPhone 3G and want to avoid paying $5 per month to $20 per month for SMS as per AT&T's iPhone 3G rate...

Read the full story here

Comments

• elSpawn
    elSpawn Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I just tried it with rogers in canada, but all it does is send and email to sms to rogers which if I'm not mistaken the end user pays for the received text, I'm new to rogers but on fido I had a huge bill in text messages before I realized it...

• James
    James Posts: 258
    via Wordpress

It doesn't work in Brasil.

• benderkiller
    benderkiller Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I have iPod Touch and I send SMS via Wi-Fi. We haven't must an iPhone 3G. :)

• benderkiller
    benderkiller Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

And I am from Czech Republic. :)

• Victor
    Victor Posts: 54
    via Wordpress

And i am from India ;)

• cmurf1983
    cmurf1983 Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

how about this info****
    I had 3 iPhone 4 gb phones this year. They all had problems. I called apple to complaine. Apple sent me a iPhone 3g 8bg to make me happy and I just activated it from home via iTunes and did not have to upgrade my plan or sing a new contract LOL. I did have to send back my 4gb iPhone to apple but at&t has no idear I am running a 3g on my oringal iPhone plan

• kiril
    kiril Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

hey i tried this. listen folks it only works when someone has an aim account and they are online. which means this is not a hack. its just using the internet server its sending your message to the other person computer. and when they get to there computer they will send you a reply. its not going to the mobile phone. trust me i tried. this is only good if someone has a aim account on there phone to so then you both are online that way you all ways get the text.

but im sure eventually they will come out with something to text for free. and if anyone out there knows how please let me know. email me at kiril17@yahoo.com

• Vlad33141
    Vlad33141 Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

out of curiosity have you tried calling AT&T about confirming the plan that you have? Don't tel them about the iPhone 3g

• raheel mushtaq
    raheel mushtaq Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

sending free sms from Aol sounds good ...

• who knows
    who knows Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

that method sucks!

• who knows
    who knows Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

AIM doesn’t stay connected the entire time. So... When you start a session to communicate (via iphone=aim to cell phone OR pc), the connection doesn’t remain connected for some reason. With that being the case, the receiving party of the iphone aim session won’t be able to communicate all the time. The iphone user has to start a new session periodically to keep the "line-id" open.
    If you know a cure for this, please let us know.

• Antonio
    Antonio Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

I agree with WHO KNOWS up there. You can send a message, but if the receiving party doesn't answer back right away, I won't see any answer at all, since I will soon get disconnected.
    It would be perfect if the AIM stays connected all the time.
    Does someone have a solution?

• Antonio
    Antonio Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

I agree with WHO KNOWS up there. You can send a message, but if the receiving party doesn't answer back right away, I won't see any answer at all, since I will soon get disconnected.
    It would be perfect if the AIM stays connected all the time.
    Does someone have a solution?

• mrdodgerblue
    mrdodgerblue Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Jailbreak phone and install agile mobile , it stays connected

• Free SMS
    Free SMS Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

There are many sites which provides free sms facility. currently I am using YouMint.com. You can send free sms to any one in India.

• Daniel
    Daniel Posts: 173
    via Wordpress

This DOES work. The person you're texting does pay for it if they don't have unlimited texts, though. The solution to AIM not staying connected is very simple: just have that app open when you turn off / lock your iPhone. Do not go back to the home screen, just leave it on the "active IM" screen in AIM. Then, when your response comes in, it'll alert you.