Step by Step Guide to Tether JailBroken iPhone 3G to the Laptop published

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
Step by Step Guide to Tether JailBroken iPhone 3G to the Laptop published

Before Apple's new iPhone 3G was launched, we had got the bad news that AT&T will not be offering tethering capabilities for iPhone 3G. However, it doesn't seem to have stopped iPhone hacking expert, Nate True from figuring out a way to tether jailbroken iPhone 3G to the laptop. Nate...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Iskondi
    Iskondi Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Works like a charm! Very very cool!!!!

One additional thing I had to do with Firefox 3.0 on Windows was switch to socks v4 instead of v5 (Dunno if that was needed or if I was just rushing it, but that did it for me)

• Jordan Harbinger
    Jordan Harbinger Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

As a dating coach and performer on the road most of the time, this helps stay in touch with the masses. Thanks!

-Jordan
    http://www.pickuppodcast.com

• Jeremy Wilson
    Jeremy Wilson Posts: 15
    via Wordpress

This doesn't actually tether the way that is useful - it only allows you to web browse from your laptop.

• se23
    se23 Posts: 19
    via Wordpress

Yep works 100% flawless. I had to switch to socks v4 aswell though. Also its very fast, much faster than my E61 on 3uk. Just wondering will o2 tamper with my speed etc if I use this too much? Thanks everyone, specially Nate True

• Kray-Z
    Kray-Z Posts: 85
    via Wordpress

Hey, this is great as i was planing on using it as soon as some one cracked it but in my search i have found that they could possibly figure out that ure teathering (which is a breach of contract) by the amount of data you use, is this true? and will they actually monitor and track you down for it or is it just a fine print for legal purposes that i can easly get away with?

• Bill
    Bill Posts: 153
    via Wordpress

I'd like to install the tethering setup but am stumped on how to install 3proxy & terminal. I'd appreciate any help.

thanks

• lehighkid
    lehighkid Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

While this is a great tip, my opinion is that it can be improved slightly by using SSH instead of 3proxy since SSH has the ability to create a socks proxy and most jailbroken phones already have SSH installed, not to mention added encryption although it is only between the phone and laptop.

High level is very similar...

Create wifi network with static ip addresses between laptop and phone
    Create ssh connection from laptop to phone using -D 7070 (or similar)
    Configure laptop to use socks v5 with the server being 127.0.0.1

That's it. Now, since windows doesn't have a built in SSH client might not be as friendly as it is on a mac setup but this is how I tether and love it. No need to install 3Proxy.

Just my two cents. Good Luck!

• JohnnyD
    JohnnyD Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Works great with firefox, but I can't get it to work with thunderbird which is what I really want, I set the socks in prefs in thunderbird, but no go, anyone got any ideas?

JD

• kusburu
    kusburu Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

When I load a page, the dialog that says "Safari can't open this page because it is not connected to the Internet" pops up, and it goes no farther than that. When I close the dialog and click refresh, the dialog pops back up. The proxy thing thats supposed to happen in the background doesn't happen.

Help please

• guht
    guht Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

I dont understand why this is so involved. Windows Mobile phones have an app called WMWiFiRouter, and its as simple as firing up the app, and connecting to your phone just like you would any other wirless router. No configuring proxys. No rebooting and losing settings. This solution for the iphone works, but its kinda lame.

http://freewarepocketpc.org/2008/communication/wmwifirouter-v089-turn-phone-into-accesspoint

• Zafar
    Zafar Posts: 10
    via Wordpress

OK - So, I played around with some setting and got an idea after reading lehighkid's post.

Now, I am not only able to tether my mac to my iPhone, but I am also able to route most - except iChat and iWeb - of my internet traffic through my iPhone.

Here is what I have done

Install SSH on your iPhone through Cydia.
    Install 3Proxy on your iPhone through Cydia.

1. Create a network on your mac from the network preferences menu and make it password protected.
    2. Join the network on your iPhone. Note down the IP address of your phone.
    3. Open up terminal and type socks at the prompt (on your iPhone)
    4. Start SSH on your iPhone
    5. From your network preferences on your mac, select Airport and go to advanced and under proxies select SOCKS and server is localhost and port can be anything. I used 8888.
    6. Add this in the bypass hosts section on the same pane *.local, 169.254/16
    7. now open terminal and type ssh -ND 8888 root@your.iphone.wifi.ip It will prompt you for a password, use alpine if you haven't changed the default one (CHANGE THE DEFAULT SSH password). This will create a SSH tunnel between your mac and iPhone. This will allow most of your applications on Mac (Mail, iTunes, Yahoo messenger, MSN messenger and Safari) to access the internet.
    8. For firefox, setup proxy settings in the network settings for Firefox.

Hope this helps.

-Z

• Zafar
    via Wordpress

OK - So, I played around with some setting and got an idea after reading lehighkid's post.

Now, I am not only able to tether my mac to my iPhone, but I am also able to route most - except iChat and iWeb - of my internet traffic through my iPhone.

Here is what I have done

1. Create a network on your mac from the network preferences menu and make it password protected.
    5. From your network preferences on your mac, select Airport and go to advanced and under proxies select SOCKS and server is localhost and port can be anything. I used 8888.
    7. now open terminal and type ssh -ND 8888 root@your.iphone.wifi.ip It will prompt you for a password, use alpine if you haven't changed the default one (CHANGE THE DEFAULT SSH password). This will create a SSH tunnel between your mac and iPhone. This will allow most of your applications on Mac (Mail, iTunes, Yahoo messenger, MSN messenger and Safari) to access the internet.

Hope this helps.

-Z

• Zafar
    via Wordpress

Here is what I have done

Hope this helps.

-Z

• Zonnefleur
    Zonnefleur Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Hey Zafar,

After following your instructions i can still use internet through my iphone, but i am still not able to use msn messenger. Are you sure its possible to use msn after your changes?
    If so, what could be the problem?

Thanks in advance,
    Zonnefleur

• Zafar
    via Wordpress

Hey Zonnefluer,
    I can use MSN messenger and Yahoo Messenger, but I can't make iChat work.
    There is a slight tweak to the settings
    You do not need to start socks on your iPhone.
    So, skip step 3 in my instructions. If it still doesn't work, email me at zafar-at-indusvalley-dot-com and I will get back to asap.

Z

• Zafar
    via Wordpress

oops - I forgot, you have to specify the proxy settings for MSN messenger under Messenger>Preferences>Accounts and select
    Manually Configure Settings >
    I Use a Proxy Server and enter your proxy settings
    Socks V5
    localhost
    root
    password for root on iphone

This should take MSN messenger online

• Joe
    Joe Posts: 450
    via Wordpress

i didnt get this to work when i set it all up and open browsers tells me to save the data file and wont surf dosent work on mac or windows pc i am at a loss any help
    jailbroke iphone 3g

• Mszpreciousz
    Mszpreciousz Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Hey guys.. I jailbroke my iPhone installed ssh and mobile terminal and proxy.. But still after making my Ad-hoc network, my iPhone recovnozss it butwont connect.. Please help

• Jon
    Jon Posts: 116
    via Wordpress

Does Anyone know where to find a guide on how to tether my LG Dare for free? I don't want to pay the $60 a month too expensive plus I would only needed maybe 3 days a month.

• laptop hp
    laptop hp Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

I can use MSN messenger and Yahoo Messenger, but I can't make iChat work.
    There is a slight tweak to the settings
    You do not need to start socks on your iPhone.