Swedish Engineers Tests Confirm iPhone 3G's Antenna Not a Problem

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageSwedish Engineers Tests Confirm iPhone 3G's Antenna Not a Problem

There have been a lot of speculations over the 3G reception issues that some iPhone 3G users are facing since its launch. Some analysts have reported that the problem is with the Infineon chip that Apple has used in iPhone 3G, while there are others who believe that the issue...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Tj
    Tj Posts: 102
    via Wordpress

Obviously it's the network, but fortunately I don't have to deal with it here in Southern California. We get near perfect reception for 3G nearly everywhere, so it's not an issue. I suppose for those people in more rural areas or in cities with tall buildings that interfere with signal it might be a problem, but they should know better than to spend 10 dollars more a month on a slightly updated phone when they could buy mine for 160 dollars and pocket the extra cash each month. Please! Buy my iPhone!!!! :( :( :( I might cry if I can't get the 3G........

LOL Just Kidding. But seriously, in case people hadn't figured it out yet, GSM networks have the spottiest coverage, but the best overall coverage. They're also the ones used around the world, thus why Verizon phones don't work when you leave the country, and AT&T phones do. So it's a matter of value, really. Does your area have 3G coverage? Ask your local AT&T store, they'll look it up on a map that EVERY store has on the computer. IF not, don't buy a 3G phone and expect faster speeds. Besides, EDGE is just fine for what most people do and unless you're an incredibly impatient person, in which case you need to get over yourself and realize that relaxation and patience aren't crimes, you will find that 15-30 seconds for a webpage is not that bad.

But back on topic: of course it wasn't the antenna, when in the history of ever has Apple not thoroughly tested its products to make sure everything works the way it should? With the small exception of the Apple TV, cuz it SHOULD give me free stuff... but it doesn't... and therefore doesn't work the way it should.

• Vinko
    Vinko Posts: 17
    via Wordpress

I think the critics need to be a little bit less harsh on Apple on this whole iPhone 3G reception thing.

Yes, the reported iPhone 3G reception issue is not restricted to the USA, iPhone 3G users in Australia also have similar issues.

The thing is that both these countries do not have mature 3G cellular network cities, let alone national coverage.

Here in Hong Kong, all 5 cellular carriers: CSL, PCCW, Three, Smartone-Vodafone, People, have 3G network coverage for over 5 years.

You should see the number of cellular antennas here in the city, much smaller than most Australian and American cities.

It is expected to receive perfect cellular coverage within office buildings, malls and subway trains.

I personally have not use the iPhone 3G, because I am very happy with my "2G" iPhone (unlocked and jailbroken). I also had not heard of anyone I know who owns an iPhone 3G in Hong Kong complains about receptions either.

It is good that Apple tries to take responsibilities on the ultimate user experience of iPhone 3G owners, but the carriers (especially the less mature 3G operators) need too also.

PS: carriers in India is selling the iPhone 3G at very high prices even when compared to the rest of Asia, and they don't even have a functional 3G network.

• Dr. Ganja
    Dr. Ganja Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Here in Canada in Southern Ontario reception is great everywhere I've been so far I don't doubt at all that it's spotty service in the US with AT&T but I bet it will get better soon for them