Apple Seeds 4th Beta of iPhone firmware 2.1; Pulls Out Push Notification Service

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageApple Seeds 4th Beta of iPhone firmware 2.1; Pulls Out Push Notification Service

Apple has seeded developers of its iPhone Developer program with the fourth beta version of iPhone firmware 2.1. The latest update again consists of more bug fixes. However, Apple has strangely pulled out the Push Notification Service APIs in this release for "further development". The Push Notification APIs is Apple's...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Zeno
    Zeno Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

Hey,

I understand you're going to much trouble in summarizing everything you find on the iphone ... but I think it would be nice to at least cite your sources. All URLs in your post link back to you alone ...

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey Zeno,

Thanks for highlighting it, forgot to add the source link.

I have updated the post. The other links in the post are to related articles on the site and hence they link back to the site.

Thanks again for your feedback.

cheers!

• Tj
    Tj Posts: 102
    via Wordpress

LOL Apple probably read my earlier comments on the story that was posted when they announced dedicated Push Service. BAsically I said that background processes should be a decision left up to the consumer, as an option to turn on or off for each individual app on the Settings Screen. This way everyone is happy and Apple can avoid blame for anything going wrong.

I posted that idea just about... everywhere. Including a forum topic on Apple's own site. So maybe, JUST maybe, they saw that and thought, "Huh. Maybe we SHOULD stop turning into a Microsoft-esque giant and actually start giving the people what they want!"

I don't mind the idea of dedicated push notification actually. I just hate the idea that it will replace background processes, because I want some things to honestly be RUNNING in the background, like AIM, or MAPS.