iPhone 3G Ads in UK say "Really Fast" and Not "Twice As Fast"

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhone 3G Ads in UK say "Really Fast" and Not "Twice As Fast"

Apple's iPhone television ad that says "all the parts of the internet are on the phone" was banned by UK's Advertising watchdog as they got complaints from some customers claiming that it gave a misleading impression of the internet capabilities of the iPhone. It appears that Apple has changed the...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 260
    via Wordpress

I think it's rather misleading, because twice the speed reliably sounds like false promises to me, although impressive. Just about everyone is tired of false promises on commercials, that's probably why they're not as affective as they used to be.

• Phil
    Phil Posts: 87
    via Wordpress

It's interesting Apple's defence for the previous Add being pulled was that they do not support Flash or Java on the Iphone becasue they are not an open standard. Have they taken a look at DRM AAC recently!!!!!!
    I have never owned an Apple product until the iPhone and am now questioning that decision.

• aurial
    aurial Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

They were actually using the "Twice as fast" version for at least all of July here in the UK. I did notice the change. Personally I think the reasoning behind it is that we've had 3g networks over here for a long time now, and all five of our networks offer roughly 99% population coverage with 3g. As a result the majority of phones sold here are already 3g, meaning the iPhone is not twice as fast as the norm, if anything it's the same speed or slower. I say slower because T-Mobile's network is faster than O2, who are the iPhone carrier here.

• Tj
    Tj Posts: 102
    via Wordpress

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the 3g network deliver speeds that are roughly double that of edge? This seems like a ploy by other UK carriers that don't have the iPhone. I know the UK, and I know that the authorities wouldn't care unless someone complained.