iPhone Firmware 2.1 Released: Many Bug Fixes and Improvements [Updated]

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhone Firmware 2.1 Released: Many Bug Fixes and Improvements [Updated]

Apple has released iPhone 2.1 firmware (Build 5F136) through iTunes this morning as promised by Steve Jobs during Apple's Special event earlier this week. The release notes surprisingly has a lot more details this time round and claims many bug fixes and improvements. You can get all the details of...

Read the full story here

Comments

• bastian gatten
    bastian gatten Posts: 43
    via Wordpress

Things seam to be running smoother. I haven't had any crash problems yet. I did have some troubles with the download probably due to a busy apple server. But install was smooth and worked the first try. So far so good.

Still wanting MMS that wasn't in this update.

• K
    K Posts: 44
    via Wordpress

just a bit faster and smother thats it not much

old 1.4 is still v good

i have both 3g 2.1 and normal 1.4

3g is not a big Chang for the cost !!

if you have an old 1 don't change it till it is died

just my thinking

• randy
    randy Posts: 32
    via Wordpress

"dramatically reduced time to backup to iTunes" is an understatement. What took 10-15 minutes before to backup now takes 10-15 seconds. My excitement about this fix is hampered by the frustration of having to deal with the insane backup times in the first place.

• W
    W Posts: 11
    via Wordpress

Does this clear out all of my cydia and installer apps? Do I have to re-jailbreak it after the upgrade?

• Jon Evans
    Jon Evans Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

@randy: 10-15 minutes would have been great - mine regularly took 4+ hours! Since installing 2.1 it's down to a few seconds, like yours.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey w,

If you upgrade to the latest firmware it will clean up all the unofficial iPhone apps including Cydia.

You will also not be able to re-jailbreak it as there are no tools available to jailbreak iPhone firmware 2.1.

cheers!

• Frog
    Frog Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

Can anyone confirm the major bug of 2.1 :

Is it possible to call any phone number from the emergency call slider when the PIN code is locked?

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey Frog,

Apple has fixed the security flaw that was observed in iPhone firmware 2.0.2 as per the release notes (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3129). The details of the security issue that has been fixed is mentioned below for your reference:

Passcode Lock

CVE-ID: CVE-2008-3633

Available for: iPhone v2.0 through v2.0.2

Impact: An unauthorized user may bypass the Passcode Lock and launch iPhone applications

Description: The Passcode Lock feature is designed to prevent applications from being launched unless the correct passcode is entered. An implementation issue in the handling of emergency calls allows users with physical access to an iPhone to launch an application without the passcode by double clicking the home button in emergency call. This update addresses the issue through improved handling of emergency calls. Credit to Matthew Yohe of The University of Iowa's Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering for reporting this issue. This issue does not affect iPhone versions prior to v2.0.

cheers!

• mike
    mike Posts: 489
    via Wordpress

2.1 is head and shoulders above the rest. I finally have a phone that seems to work. I'm sitting at my desk where I constantly had no signal at all and now have 5 bars!!! Also what would take 4 or so hours to sync was cut down to about 15-20 mins. (I have a lot of apps installed) I would also have to restore my phone about once a week. This firmware revision looks very very promissing.

• Dr. Dom
    Dr. Dom Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Battery life improved? No way. Mine is way less than half from 2.0.2

• Michael
    Michael Posts: 316
    via Wordpress

I know it's not a significant change and the change serves no real purpose but the 2.1 update changed the Edge icon. What was a square with an E inside, is now a floating E. Hmm wonder why they changed that?

• ipineapple
    ipineapple Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

2.1 Game Set & Match........check it out.....worked!!!!! http://xpwn.co.uk/2.1JBtut.txt

• Coop
    Coop Posts: 18
    via Wordpress

Went smoothly - didn’t hang and there were no problems. That’s nice .

Unfortunately, there appears to be no significant difference in the operation of the unit.

Safari hung when I tried to use it, signal strength still not very good. Dropped my first call.

No real changes:
    - speaker phone still sucks
    - other developers apps still shut off (ie, they can’t run in the background)
    - no copy and paste
    - BT stack appears to be unchanged (no wireless headphones)
    - no Flash
    - no turn by turn directions

Nothing to see here, move on people

Apple’s marketing/hype machine works better than their products.

Alas.

Maybe version 3.0 might make the iPhone worth the hype…

• MattZero
    MattZero Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

The Good: Very fast backups, only a few seconds. Appears to be more stable, actually I haven't had any crashes all day and I have used it quite a bit.

The Bad: No new features besides the 'genius' features that I really don't care about anyways. Call quality remains unchanged, but keep in mind I have not had any problems with reception since I got it. No cut/paste, not turn by turn, nothing else is new!

My 2 cents.
    In my opinion, this is the only REAL reason for anyone to upgrade is the fast backups, but this should have never been a problem in the first place. I think apple leaves out the features that most people really want so they can look like they are listening to the customer when the come out with a new feature that they should have had in the first place... 3G, GPS, 3rd party apps. I think their painfully slow roll out of new features is a way to keep the customer spending more money, while at the same time making us seem happy to spend money for these 'new' features.

• MattZero
    MattZero Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

FYI:

When I have sms preview set to off, and have the screen password protected it no longer says who the text is from. Now it only says "New Text Message." and doesn't give a name or any more details.

• bob.os
    bob.os Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Can anyone comment on the improved speed in contacts? Any operation with Contacts just kills my phone for 20-30 sec. It makes dialing from the contact list and using GrandDialer almost impossible.

If this is improved, it would be worth unjailbreak my phone.

Thanks,

• Bourne
    Bourne Posts: 60
    via Wordpress

I dont know why so many people are having dropped calls. I never had one. And that was since the launch. Maybe its just At&t

• Traxx Trigga
    Traxx Trigga Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

another feature is it doesn't display your full text convos, it keeps them stored.. if u scroll back to the top of a perviously long convo.. you'll see the option.. nice job apple

• Chadwick
    Chadwick Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

One problem i found and a few others had too, is that if you have Genius enabled and try and add songs to your iphone after say a restore, then it crashes iTunes. only way is to turn genius off then add your music.. then turn it on if you ever really care to use it.. just a word to the wise

• KINGJAY
    KINGJAY Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

********WHAT HAPPENED TO THE DA** BACKGROUND NOTIFICATION, TURN BY TURN, COPY AND PASTE......????? I HATE WHEN APPLE JUICES U UP FOR THIS SUPPOSEDLY "BIG" UPDATE , AND LEAVE OUT VERY IMPORTANT FEATURES.....SMH!

• Ali
    Ali Posts: 86
    via Wordpress

i noticed a difference in performance of the phone everything runs snappy but one problem is that my mail app keeps crashing so i cant check my email.

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 134
    via Wordpress

Looks like we'll have to wait a bit longer for more features. It seems Apple was busy enough fixing all the problems in the initial release. At least now it looks like a relatively bug-free platform to build upon!

• kliszcz3
    kliszcz3 Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

I have just upgraded my iTunes to version 8 so that I can run the upgrade for the iPhone 3G but now my iTunes will not detect my iPhone at all.

Windows Vista Home Premium (32bit) is able to detect it but iTunes doesn't. Please can someone help me

Thanks

• kliszcz3
    kliszcz3 Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

Hi Everyone,

I have found a solution to my own problem. I have just uninstalled all software that was created by Apple and then reinstalled iTunes 8. After that everything seems to be OK now.

• cris Sison
    cris Sison Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

iphone 2.1 is really nice,,i have it updated to that firmware and jailbroken,,,its like 1.1.4.....i mean the speed

• C G
    C G Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

How about being able to send picture messages i think that is unreal. Even a free shitty prepaid phone can do that.

• Sam
    Sam Posts: 218
    via Wordpress
  • Brandon
    Brandon Posts: 86
    via Wordpress

I mean this would be nice if it was jailbroken, apple fails at life, spent 50 dollars in apps, acidently was holding down the home button while turning it on, now its in dfu mode, and decided, hey why not jailbreak it... now all i get is errors, even when i restore it to factory with itunes 8.0.35 or someching... my iphone 3g is goooooooone.

• jim
    jim Posts: 128
    via Wordpress

my iphone works on edge network but drops calls in the 3g network-internet and email works fine in both networks. thinking about restoring all the way back. is there a way to keep your phone on edge all the time?
    getting un happy!

• kelly
    kelly Posts: 22
    via Wordpress

is there anyone knows how to uninstalled the 2.1 firmware from an iphone plz give me some advices. my phone seem to be death now. am not able to make any phone calls to any number acept 911.
    u use t-mobile instead of at&t. does it make any difference??? am using the 1st generation iphone- not a 3g one.
    many thanks!