iTunes 8: Workaround for Unknown Error Occurred (5002) While Upgrading iPhone apps

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiTunes 8: Workaround for Unknown Error Occurred (5002) While Upgrading iPhone apps

iPhone users seem to be facing quite a few issues after upgrading to iTunes 8 which was released by Apple yesterday. I had reported earlier that Windows Vista users are facing the blue screen of death (BSOD) after upgrading to iTunes 8. As per this Apple discussions thread, some iPhone...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Ted
    Ted Posts: 35
    via Wordpress

yup i got this problem... no apps need updating yet so dont know if the fix wordfs.

• Review
    Review Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Yet another wonderful release from Microsoft. Oops, I mean Apple.

• Robert
    Robert Posts: 146
    via Wordpress

Great update Apple. All my apps crashed today had to reset them all.

Hopefully the great new iphone update doesn't suck this bad.

• Chris
    Chris Posts: 736
    via Wordpress

Yep, I have this problem when I try to download app updates. Also, now iTunes absolutely won't backup the phone when it syncs. It errors out every time where before it just took over 2 hours. Waiting for 8.1.

• Key
    Key Posts: 202
    via Wordpress

now there's no "disable links to the itunes store" check box...so now that i have that crappy genius playlist up and running i get links on every single song to the itunes store.....i'd like to drop that asap

• Julian
    Julian Posts: 25
    via Wordpress

My fix for the dreaded 5002 error:

NOTE: If you screw up and wipe out your Apps, you're SOL. You should also know that iTunes may want to reinstall all your applications on your iPhone/iPod, so it might be best to hold off doing this until you're ready for this (and bear in mind that my experience with iPhone application remove/install hasn't been stellar, and I've had to completely restore from scratch a few times).

1. Back up Mobile Applications from /Users/myusername/Music/iTunes by dragging them to another disk -- simply moving them elsewhere on the same disk doesn't work, since iTunes keeps track of their location. Duplicating the folder would likely work too, if you haven't got anywhere else to copy them.

2. Once you have the Mobile Applications folder backed up, and have verified and reverified that you've got a copy and haven't simply moved the folder, open iTunes WITHOUT YOUR IPHONE/IPOD CONNECTED and select all your applications and delete them. (if your iPhone/iPod were connected, it would now start helpfully deleting apps)

3. When they're all gone, quit iTunes

4. Start iTunes again and verify that you have no apps listed.

5. Drag your backup Mobile Applications folder to your open iTunes window -- if you have default iTunes settings (copy/manage my music), then iTunes will start re-adding your applications. The nice thing about this is that it also eliminates all the duplicate apps and renames along the way -- all those updates you keep doing don't get rid of older versions, so these just pile up as "Application 1", 2, 3, etc. You may end up saving a lot of disk space. Many apps have gone through name changes too, so you may clear up some confusion and duplication too.

6. Read the iTunes notices carefully -- you will likely get something like "an OLDER version of this app already exists, do you want to replace it" (you DO), or "a NEWER version of this app already exists, do you want to replace it" (you DON'T), or sometimes a mention that this app already exists as the same version (replace it).

7.0 Quit iTunes, then restart it to "set" the changes

You will end up with a pristine iTunes Mobile Applications folder at the end of this process, and will likely save some space too.

Your 5002 error should also be gone too.

REMEMBER THAT YOU COULD POTENTIALLY LOSE ALL YOUR APPLICATIONS IF YOU SCREW UP, so please do this at your own risk, and as always, make sure you have backups!

• OJsakila
    OJsakila Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Wow. Just a week ago the work around for the previous itunes was to install and update apps thru itunes...Now you tell us to update thru the phone....When will Apple ever wake up? I can't believe they CONTINUE to NOT get it even close to right.

• A non-moose
    A non-moose Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I appreciate people like key going out of their way and putting up a possible fix, but is it just me or should problems that require you to do all of that not occur? Especially on a product made by a company which presents itself as the better alternative to everything else? Don't get me wrong I love my jailbroken/activated/unlocked iphone and I have argued more than once with my friends that iphone is the best phone on the market. But apple seems to be dropping the ball lately.

• Melik
    Melik Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I just started getting this problem today. Trying to fix it, I hope I can fix it by today because I'm hopefully going to purchase Cro-Mag Rally before the sale is over.

• EFF
    EFF Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I found this in anoter web site and work fine for me........Ok, two seconds after making this post I think I fixed the problem (fingers crossed). I read on a quazi-related post that iTunes was now requiring security codes off credit cards for purchases. Personally I don't use a credit card but I went in to my account just to make sure. The 1st time I tried to access my account I got the 5002 error, the 2nd time I was able to access my account w/o any issue. I did not make any changes to my account at all (just browsed around a bit and made sure everything was ok). After exiting my account I was able to make a purchase. Hey, whatever...right? Of course on my next purchase it will probably throw up some new error. Anyway, try this if you have the same problem.

• purple_parakeet
    purple_parakeet Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I also had this problem and nothing would fix it.
    Finally i clicked Store -> View My Account

and I updated my address and credit card number, including CSV code.

And now i'm able to download again just fine.