iPhone Firmware 2.1 Features

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhone Firmware 2.1 Features

Steve Jobs had announced during Apple's special event yesterday that iPhone firmware 2.1 will be released to iPod Touch users on Tuesday and will be available to iPhone users on Friday. So based on what we have seen in iPhone firmware 2.1 for iPod Touch, here is a glimpse of...

Read the full story here

Comments

• mike
    mike Posts: 489
    via Wordpress

what happened to the:

1) turn by turn gps add-on
    2) copy & paste
    3) reduced 3g signal / connection problems

come on apple...i dont have all month to wait to use 3g instead of the crappy Edge network

• Louis
    Louis Posts: 180
    via Wordpress

Dramatically reduced time to backup to iTunes, I tunes 8 takes 4 ever...Going to lunch while my iphone backs up...

This should be good...

• Johnny
    Johnny Posts: 93
    via Wordpress

i want ad2p. or atleast someone come out with the hack for it i'd gladly pay for it.

• Joe Philipson
    Joe Philipson Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

I had to disable my backups. Taking over an hour to backup my iphone BEFORE syncing was RIDICULOUS!

• Louis
    Louis Posts: 180
    via Wordpress

1) turn by turn gps add-on?

Isn't there a hands free law...You're not allowed to have cell phone in hand while driving!

But Officer it's an iphone : o

Cut n paste what?

• Dan S
    Dan S Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

One thing to remember... the iphone 3G has GPS.. and if i recall correctly, the ipod touch does not, so just because the touch's release note's don't mention turn-by-turn doesn't mean the 3G's won't have it (and possibly have cut-n-paste)..

• Joe
    Joe Posts: 450
    via Wordpress

I feel like the iPHone is getting the shaft! What about the new headphones - they don't even work with the 3G?!

• Tj
    Tj Posts: 102
    via Wordpress

While you are correct about the new hands-free law while driving, Turn-by-Turn GPS units are still allowed, because they do not require you to hold them up to your ear. Tom-Tom has already announced that they have developed an App that does Turn-by-Turn, and that it does not violate any Apple App Store Terms of Service. The issue now is getting it onto the App Store, since it is widely suspected that Apple will integrate Turn-by-Turn navigation into its own Firmware. The thing about integrated software is that it is invariably faster and more responsive than Third-Party Applications, because the OS is designed to work WITH it, not THROUGH it.

As for the other updates, I am a bit sad to hear copy-paste functionality hasn't been announced, but my hope is that they are hard at work perfecting it and making sure it integrates across Apps and between web-pages and notes. One feature that I'm sure everyone is dying to have is something like the new Nano, where a simple shake can shuffle the songs. I'd like more advanced movements though, like shaking to the right to advance the playlist, or the left to repeat the song, and forward to play/pause, but only when the screen is on and the iPod app is open.

• ben
    ben Posts: 235
    via Wordpress

You mention selective sound muting (key clicks and new mail sounds...) Thats been there for a long time. Not new to 2.1.

• Ted
    Ted Posts: 35
    via Wordpress

what is the deal with copy and paste.. for crying out loud- even my moto razor could copy & paste... would it kill them to do it?

• se23
    se23 Posts: 19
    via Wordpress

sorry to resort to violence but if thats it for 2.1 im gonna beat up steve jobs mum.

• mac9
    mac9 Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I recently jailbroke my 3G and wonder about these firmware updates. Installing it will break my current jailbreak, but will re-jailbreaking bring back the apps that I've installed so far? Or more generally, what's the process for updating firmware but maintaining the jailbreak?

• James Hunt
    James Hunt Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

What about DIVX - even the cheapest DVD players support nowadays.

It's all about what Apple is trying to sell, not what's good for us.

• TEX
    TEX Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

Steve Jobs should have started his presentation with a different statement: “We have a cool toy but we won’t let you play with it.” Copy and paste? A decent text editor? Synchronizing notes via USB? -- Forget it! Some things will never change. Very sad...

• Gio Willis
    Gio Willis Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

It is Friday and there is still no update. The iPhone update was ready from last sunday but has been delayed to Friday because of a risk of a congestion on Apple servers... There have been also too many problems with MobileMe and Apple is very cautious. I do not think that this firmware has many enhancements but it is a shame that iPhone 3G customers have waited two months before having this update,which will HOPEFULLY BE RELEASED TODAY...Apps crashing,restarts and total restores have made the iPhone 3G one of the worst records of Apple history

• Bazza
    Bazza Posts: 13
    via Wordpress

v 2.1 is now available to download from itunes... installing it rite now, will report back with how it goes and also if it will pawn with quickpwn rc3... wish me luck

• Bazza
    via Wordpress

well. all downloaded and installed, only to instantly crash on the apple screen and every 20 seconds it vibrates!!! GREAT UPDATE THAT WAS!!! restoring AGAIN! now to see if it works second time round... so much for fixing all the problems...

• Bazza
    via Wordpress

ok, so second time around the iphone restored fine but then when itunes tried to restore all my contacts and apps it crashed again, same apple logo screen of death and vibrations every 5 seconds this time... this new v2.1 doesn't seem that great yet?... gonna try a 3rd tibe but not sync with itunes and see how it goes.

• Bazza
    via Wordpress

well everythings fine 3rd time around, much snappier seems more like the speed of the old 1.1.4 firmware, no lag like there was... will try the quickpwn later and report back...

• Reggie Escalante
    Reggie Escalante Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Regarding the iPhone 2.1 firmware …

I want to comment on the 3G:

I tested today and there are two places along a road near my office where I would have a strong 3G signal strength indicator, yet my call would drop. This has happened everyday since mid-July when I got my 3G. Today I had strong 3G signal and did not lose my call. As an aside, browsing in the elevator I didn’t lose my signal (before it would just drop the 3G and switch to EDGE) riding 19 levels up.

My comment on the backup:

Prior to the firmware upgrade today, it would take a friggin’ hour to back up my iPhone; what a pain in the a$$. After the upgrade, the same process took a WHOPPING twelve minutes.

Regarding battery life:

Prior to today, my normal usage, optimized settings, etc. from disconnecting it from the charger around 7AM and plugging it back at 9PM, I have never hit the “20% low battery warning.” Tonight the warning came on for me by 7PM. Hmmm, does that mean that since I’m on 3G more now (instead of kicking into EDGE), that I’ll hit the warning more often?

On apps crashing:

None so far … and I have four pages of apps total on my 3G.

Regarding email sync:

Never had any issues before, so can’t really comment on this. I use Yahoo, Gmail, AOL, and MS Exchange.

(While my custom ringtones were still on my iPhone, the ringtones assigned to contacts were all switched back to "Default.")

So for me: overall experience with the 2.1 update … THUMBS UP!