Step-By-Step Guide to Block Ads on your iPhone

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageStep-By-Step Guide to Block Ads on your iPhone

If you find advertisements on websites annoying (including the ones here on iPhone Hacks); then on your computer you can always use browser add-ons like Adblock to prevent page elements such as advertisements from being downloaded and displayed. However, there was no way to block advertisements in iPhone's Safari browser....

Read the full story here

Comments

• louis.tristan@gmail.com
    via Wordpress

interesting. If one stays focused on the content you won't see the ad. That's a lot of trouble to go through.. What if there's a breaking news story. Some of the ads are good except for the sylvan learning $100.00 off...

Don't have kids n folks that have them should be speeding time with them not hacking the iphone. Aren't parents supposed to set a good example for them so they don't wind up like us? : )

• thedevilsjester
    thedevilsjester Posts: 25
    via Wordpress

Personally, I dislike the ads on this site.

Its not the content of the ads, its the placement.

Instead of creating a true separation with content on top and bottom of the ad, it allows the content to wrap around the ad, forcing the article into an annoyingly narrow column of text.

If you have them create a true separation, you will probably have less people resorting to ad blocking.

• zai
    zai Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

This technic raise some issues.

I notice that it is icompatible with "categories" app. This app refuse to launch if adblock is enable :(.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey Zai,

You are right I just checked it and the Categories app does not work with adblock. It does not stop me from launching the category folders that I have created using the Categories app but does not let me launch the app.

It gives the Permission error message when I try to launch it "Admob blocking has been detected in your hosts file. I have worked many hours for this app. It cannot run with this block in place".

I guess its only fair, the developer is making money using ads on the app so if you want to use the app you will need to revert back to the host file you had backed up in Step 6 above or just remove the Admob block from the replacement host file.

To remove just the Admob block follow these steps:
    Open the replacement host file you had downloaded in step 4.
    Remove the following entry from the host file:
    127.0.0.1 mm.admob.com
    Follow steps 5 to 8 again (ensure you dont override the original host file).

You should be able to launch Categories app (with the ads) again after restarting your iPhone with the modified hosts file.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for pointing it out.

cheers!

• Zed Sefi
    Zed Sefi Posts: 143
    via Wordpress

It conflicts with QuickGold and disables it too .. which is an application that I can't live without.

• phidelity
    phidelity Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

you can downgrade the Category app to 2.16 and it will run and block ads.

download http://iphonebigboss.com/repo/repofiles/cydia/debs2.0/categories_2.16.deb

1. SFTP or SCP your deb file into /tmp
    2. SSH into your iPhone with Terminal and type:
    dpkg -i /tmp/filename.deb

• David Boring
    David Boring Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

It is *not* fair. The user is never asked "Is it OK if I start displaying ads on your device?" It is obnoxious and intrusive. I'd rather pay for the damned app, but that isn't an option with many admob-enabled apps.

• foxintampa
    foxintampa Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Does anyone notice this slows down response time of the iPhone due to the size of that file? Test it out for your self with the speedtest app. I went from 250ms pings with the stock hosts file loaded, to 500-600ms with this new host file.
  • SMed79
    SMed79 Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    When I try to go to More Settings in SBSettings, it says :"Permission error. An ad blocking host file is installed. The app cannot run this way. Would you like to unblock the elements we need? (The app will need to be restarted after)."I selected No, and it just quits.
  • Chris
    Chris Posts: 736
    via Wordpress
    This works like a charm, thanks a lot!
  • John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress
  • Yash
    Yash Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    I am getting a "No Sim" meesage after doing this process
  • Yash
    Yash Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    Am sorry it's workign perfectly thank you!