Fring's iPhone App Released; Make VOIP Calls from Your iPhone Using Skype [Updated]

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageFring's iPhone App Released; Make VOIP Calls from Your iPhone Using Skype [Updated]

Fring, an Israeli startup that offers VOIP & Chat service for mobile phones has launched their much awaited iPhone App via the App Store that allows iPhone users to make Skype and other VOIP calls over Wi-Fi and also chat with others on a variety of networks including Skype, MSN,...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Joe
    Joe Posts: 450
    via Wordpress

Someone needs to hack this to allow VoIP over 3G.

• STEVE ANDERSON
    STEVE ANDERSON Posts: 11
    via Wordpress

why would i want to pay for my calls when o2 gives you 600 mins with contract anyway ponitless reallly paying monthly then pay as you go for voip calls aswell

• MarkB
    MarkB Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

The idea of this app is great, however they really should have continued their beta program until they could produce a solid build. This first official release is very buggy and unpredictable.

Truphone VOIP is very good for one way iPhone to cellular when abroad, but having Skype to Skype support on the iPhone would be even better - they are going to have to spend a lot more time on the app though.

IMHO they should drop all the other protocol support and concentrate solely on Skype, but then thats just my preferred service :-)

• Axel
    Axel Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

Hey Joe, Your not the only one in the world with an O2 iphone contract buddy, try and be unbiased next time you comment on an app like this...

This is GREAT!!! I only have 4hours / month of talk time with my contract and using the SIP protocol implemented in FRING I was able to call using my iphone for FREE (My internet provider comes with an SIP account giving access to unlimited landline calls in more than 70 countries...)

Too bad this only works on wifi but the quality of the calls are good and it still hasent bugged or crashed yet... fingers crossed!

• Kyle Peters
    Kyle Peters Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I have a question...Is a SIP account needed? Or can i just connect to a wifi connection and make a free call?

• Spencer Thayer
    Spencer Thayer Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Pay As You go VOIP maybe retarded when you are calling within the States but if you are like me and have friends all over the world VOIP is amazing. I used the old FringBETA constantly. This is great!

• hypergo
    hypergo Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Still very buggy... The application is restarting from time to time. I also ported my skypeout (unlimited US/Canada) on it but after 2 rings it automatically terminates.

• AnalogJunkie.com
    AnalogJunkie.com Posts: 10
    via Wordpress

I honestly only see one use for this .. being if you were traveling abroad or needed to call out of the country.

Then you could use the much cheaper Skype rates for those calls, because AT&T's rates for that are like highway robbery!

Which means you'd only want to use local wi-fi for it anyway since the data network is also expensive.

This could be a very good solution for somebody who's outside the states often on business though. : )

• Bambamd
    Bambamd Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Man, I love skype on my PC but I wasn't even able to login to the Iphone version. I keep getting error: "user ID/Nickname/Password may contain only alpha characters A-Z and digits 0-9". That's weird because my username contains a "." in it. I opened a ticket to the skype team and i'll let you guys know the outcome. Let me know if there anyone else with the same issue.

On another note, if I use skype over wifi and since I have a skypeout account, the only cost if I call to lan a line in Canada and the US is the cost of my skypeout membership fee right? Phone talk time is not part of that cost right?

• 3Gpls
    3Gpls Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

voip over wifi only is silly.

if i wanted a wireless skype phone,
    i would've bought a wireless skype phone.

we need voip on the go! 3G please!

as is... fring is pretty clunky, with noticeable lag 'when' skype calls go through (emphasize on WHEN... as most calls never go through)

• Louis
    Louis Posts: 180
    via Wordpress

This doesn't fringK work. Downloaded it but it keeps asking me to enter a valid email address when trying to register a new account on the iphone.

The people at skype need to make a widget at for the iphone that works with existing skype account. This will solve the problem...

• Bego
    Bego Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

If i update to 2.1 on my iphone 3G will Fring work ? Help dudes..

• mike
    mike Posts: 489
    via Wordpress

yes it will work with 2.1

• Zed Sefi
    Zed Sefi Posts: 143
    via Wordpress

It was cool when it was a jailbroken iPhone app running on carrier's data connection and I was able to talk (voice chat from my fring to a desktop PC running windows live messenger) with my parents on the other side of the world for free while I was sitting inside the bus on the go.

Now it works only on Wifi, Thanks but NO DEAL.

• Axel
    Axel Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

people, get the patched version of fring for 3G, works like a charm

• Pascal
    Pascal Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

I can call but the voice quality is very poor for the person receiving the call. I sound fine to myself but I've tested it several times both over wifi and 3g and it isn't something I would use to save money. Anyone have any specs on how much data is being used for say 1min of talk time via skype?

• Pascal
    via Wordpress

I can call but the voice quality is very poor for the person receiving the call. I sound fine to myself but I've tested it several times both over wifi and 3g and it isn't something I would use to save money. Anyone have any specs on how much data is being used for say 1min of talk time via skype?

• Pascal
    via Wordpress

• adam
    adam Posts: 122
    via Wordpress

dose uit works with 2.2

• VoIP software
    VoIP software Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I have been using Fring for years, it's really good, and saved me a lot of money, glad to hear that.