iPhone Tips: Redirect Call to Voicemail; Silence iPhone's Ringer

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhone Tips: Redirect Call to Voicemail; Silence iPhone's Ringer

Have you been in a meeting when you get a call on your iPhone? Want an easy way to redirect the call to the voicemail or silence the ringer? Then check out the iPhone tip after the jump. I am sure many of you already know this like the last...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Wesley
    Wesley Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

slow iphone news day huh?

• Wes (The Original One..)
    via Wordpress

Haha yeah..no kidding

• riiiiiight
    riiiiiight Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Are you f-ing kidding me?!?!?!?!?! This site has REALLY gone downhill. Garbage.

• Some Guy
    Some Guy Posts: 11
    via Wordpress

If you didn't know this already, you are probably mentally challenged.

Which begs the question, would you really have an iPhone if you were mentally challenged?

• thedevilsjester
    thedevilsjester Posts: 25
    via Wordpress

If you really must do filler posts, you can do much better than this.

Personally I would like to see some game and app reviews. I have been searching for a about a month and still havent found one good reason to Jailbreak my iPhone. Not a single app mentioned in the various "Top 10 apps to Jailbreak your iPhone for" are even remotely interesting to me, and I would like to hear about more applications that might make it worth it.

• DR
    DR Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

OMG what the hell is this, oh I know.
    Dumb And Dumbest...Harry and Lloyd Get An Iphone!!

• Jared
    Jared Posts: 67
    via Wordpress

wow...I didn't have to be the first to call bullshit iPhone hacks posts this time. Get the hint.

• Bourne
    Bourne Posts: 60
    via Wordpress

@ thedevilsjester

-Cycorder: best and free video recorder
    -Qik: Wireless webcam anywhere you are
    -MxTube: Download youtube vids
    -Pdanet: use it as a modem for tethering your laptop
    -Safari download plugin: Download media from safari
    dTunes: play media downloaded from safari and dTunes itself.
    -"Less expensive" appstore apps lol

etc.

Etc.

If those arent compelling to you then I dont know man lol.

• Bourne
    via Wordpress

Oh and I forgot to add orblive which will soon be available (just waiting for the idiots to give up on the appstore) and will let you watch live TV on your iPhone anywhere you are(considering you have 3G).

All those wonderful apps on a jailbroken iphone because apple won't approve them. And they are the best imo.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey Folks,

Thanks for the comments and feedback. We understand the frustration shown by you on some of our recent posts.

We did think twice before publishing this post as we expected this reaction from our regular readers and early adopters of the iPhone. But then decided to publish it for the benefit of new iPhone users visiting the website.

I hope you will understand that it is important for us to maintain the balance.

Bourne is right when he mentioned there are some interesting apps developed for the jailbroken iPhone and we have covered most of them (we plan to review dTunes soon) and we will continue to review new iPhone apps as soon as possible. Maybe we should have a post which lists down our favorite iPhone apps.

If you know of any interesting iPhone apps, games or tricks that hasn't been covered here before do let us know.

Thanks for being vocal and we hopefully do a better job so that you continue to visit iPhone Hacks for the latest on the iPhone.

cheers!

• thedevilsjester
    via Wordpress

@ Bourne
    Not even remotely interested in any of those you listed.

The problem with all these "top apps to jailbreak your iPhone for" lists is that they all have pretty much the same apps listed, so someone who has absolutely no interest in using their iPhone as a video recorder, a web cam, to watch TV on, or access some community site of some sort (twitter, myspace, etc...), dont get to see or hear about any of the other apps that might interest them.

If thats all the Jailbroken scene has to offer, no thanks.

• thedevilsjester
    via Wordpress

Just a little extra info to my post above. Before you go off on some tangent about how, if I dont like the top few apps that the Jailbroken scene has to offer, that the iPhone might not be the phone for me, I have many applications and games from the official AppStore that interest me very much, and I find a new great app or game at least once a week.

All I have seen from the Jailbroken scene is the same 5-10 apps over and over again. No one seems to review any others (I assume there ARE others), and its these reviews that I am really interested in, as I would like to see what ELSE the Jailbroken scene has to offer.
    I would like to see reviews of more than the top 10 most common apps

• Bourne
    via Wordpress

@ thedevilsjester

Ok I just don't get it. Jailbreaking is so easy. It's a one click operation with quickpwn. If you told me that 2 years ago with firmware 1.0.2 I wouldve understood but there is nothing hard in jailbreaking.

Why are you so against it? Why not jailbreak to have something more that you will never get on the appstore. If you are scared about your warranty there is always the possibility to restore.

And the irony is that you visit an site called iPhone hacks.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

@thedevilsjester,

Thanks for the note.

How about telling us about your favorite iPhone apps and games and the kind of apps you are interested in?

cheers!

• thedevilsjester
    via Wordpress

"Why not jailbreak to have something more that you will never get on the appstore"

Please tell me what that "something more" is, thats what I am asking.

"It's a one click operation with quickpwn"

Yeah, if you have Windows or OSX, sure. But even then, if the apps that I have seen for the Jailbroken iPhones are any indication about the whole, then thats one click thats utterly pointless.

@ iPhoneHacks

A small list of AppStore stuff that look appealing to me is:

Games like Naboko, Sudoku, Lumen, HotBox, and Dashball.

And applications like, WordBook, IM+, Somba GasHound, Lookup Wikipedia, AccelaStudy Japanese, TVStatus, and Pandora.

Thats just the tip of the iceberg.

Its not ironic that I visit a site called iPhoneHacks, I do so continually hoping to see some hack or application for Jailbroken iPhones that would actually interest me. Thus my request for more reviews!

This is not some anti Jailbreaking post, please dont take it as such, its honest curiosity. And since it seems to be a slow news time the iPhone, and iPhoneHacks is posting oddball filler articles, why not post information and reviews about apps that require Jailbreaking!

• nick
    nick Posts: 219
    via Wordpress

swapBT, and WifiToggle are the only two applications from Cydia that give me a reason why to jailbreake my iPhone. I had a bigger reason that used to be Customize, but for some reason (that I haven't researched into) is no longer working. SwapBT is a great app to turn on and off the Bluetooth receiver without having to navigate through the annoying menu, and WifiToggle is the exact same thing but for WiFi (duh). I love my jailbroken iPhone, I just wish that customize comes back online again because winterboard sucks, I think summerboard was more appealing to me

• Bourne
    via Wordpress

@ thedevilsjester

The apps I named are the ones that contribute to unleashing the iPhone's full potential. Is one click really so hard? Your loss I guess. Cycorder alone should be a reason because the iPhone doesn't have video recording out of the box.

btw the apps you listed could be webapps... You have very weird tastes in what you call "appealing".

• thedevilsjester
    via Wordpress

@ Bourne
    Every app I listed is a native iPhone app available on the AppStore.

"One click" is grossly exaggerated. One Click assumes that I have one of the supported OSes, I already have the software downloaded, installed, and ready to go. Thats a lot of assumptions.

The amount of effort needed to Jailbreak your iPhone is not in question, I dont care if it takes one click, or if I have to stand on my head and recite the complete works of Shakespeare, the point is that I have yet to see a single application that is even remotely interesting, let alone a must have.

Surely there is more than a couple applications that let you pretend your iPhone is a camcorder. If I want to pretend my iPhone is something its not, ill get iBeer, or iLightsaber from the AppStore.

In the past...10 years, I think I have taken a picture on my phone two or three times, and the only time I recorded video was when I accidentally pressed the wrong button. This doesnt interest me. Is this all there is to a Jailbroken iPhone?

I can visit many different sites that list and review hundreds of games and apps that are available on the AppStore, but I have yet to find such a list for Jailbroken phones, and I know that with the number of people that have done this to their phone, that they didnt all do it for video recording.

What apps/games other than the same five that keep being mentioned over and over, make the Jailbroken scene worth it? Or is this all they have?

• thedevilsjester
    via Wordpress

Read reading my post above, I didnt mean to sound like a smartass. Its just that the only answer I get when asking about Jailbreaking the iPhone is the same, canned answer about video recording, like everyone has rehearsed the same line over and over, and this has absolutely no interest to me. IS there more than just that? Thats what I honestly want to know.

• Mickey3390
    Mickey3390 Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

How about adding free coustome ringtones the ability to compleatly change the looks and sounds of your IPhone. How about usimg ICQ MSN Yahoo Messenger etc. How about playing all your favoriy=te NES games PS game etc how about having the bible or other books right there on your phone How about listening to thousands of radio stations or how about the ability to swap walpapers with thousands or other users from your phone how about having walpaper that moves. These are just some of the reasones to jailbreak your Iphone also thre is an app that lets you track the location of your buddies that have Iphones with the app installed. But the choice is yours it how ever does broden the posabilities quite substantualy in my mind, cause you can do all this plus have the apps from the app store so have your cake and eat it too. Happy hacking and I hope this helps regard W.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

@thedevilsjester,

Here is a list of iPhone apps for the jailbroken iPhone other than the apps Bourne has already mentioned.

Categories App - Helps clean up the clutter on your home screen
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/10/categories-app.html

Winterboard - Customize the iPhone
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/10/winterboard-app.html

Snapture - bring professional features to iPhone's basic camera app
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/08/iphonesnapture2.html

Flixwagon (similar to Qik)
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/08/iphoneflixwagon.html

Quake for iPhone
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/08/iphonegamequake.html

Instinctiv Shuffle - An alternative to the standard shuffle feature available in the iPhone
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/07/iphone-shuffle.html

Synchstep - Synchstep attempts to connect Music in your head to the Music in your body
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/05/iphonesynchstep.html

Intelliscreen - IntelliScreen gives a view of the Calendar, Email, SMS, News, Sports, and Weather on your iPhone's locked screen
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/05/intelliscreen.html

TuneWiki - delivers user generated song lyrics to music playing on your iPhone
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/04/iphone-tunewiki.html

There have quite a few emulators that have been ported to the jailbroken iPhone as well so if you have the ROMs you should be able to play some of the them on the iPhone.

I am sure that there are quite a few gems that I might have missed out.

Some of the apps listed above were reviewed recently so you will be aware of them but as you will notice some of them were reviewed quite sometime back so I am not sure if all of them are ported to the latest firmware (chances are they have as they are quite good).

cheers!

• thedevilsjester
    via Wordpress

@ Mickey3390
    Almost everything you listed is available via the AppStore as well, with the only notable exception being theming (which doesnt really interest me)

@iPhoneHacks
    Of what you listed, Categories looks interesting, as does ItelliScreen, and if I ever Jailbreak, those will definitely be added to my list, however nothing else really does.

I am not really asking you to take the time to list all the apps you can think of that I might like, I am just suggesting that when you have a slow news day, maybe you can review more of them so there is a clearer picture of whats available (exclusively) for the Jailbroken.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

@thedevilsjester,

You had mentioned:
    Its just that the only answer I get when asking about Jailbreaking the iPhone is the same, canned answer about video recording, like everyone has rehearsed the same line over and over, and this has absolutely no interest to me.

The listing of apps was to give you some idea on the type of apps that are available.

Anyways, thanks for your suggestion.

When we find an interesting app we will definitely write about it.

cheers!

• leo
    leo Posts: 47
    via Wordpress

does jailbreak support call-recording???

• terri
    terri Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Thanks for this post. I am new to the iphone, and I just googled how to silence my phone. I had no idea. I understand that those who are iphone geniuses do not need it, but there are plenty of people that appreciate this. I now have discovered this website in the meantime, so the owners of the site are smart marketers.

Happy holidays.