Fix for iPhone Safari Crashes

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageFix for iPhone Safari Crashes

iPhone's Safari browser is by far the best mobile browser I have used but it isn't perfect and one of issues is that it crashes quite often. Based on this Apple discussion forum thread it looks like I am not the only one facing the problem. If you are also...

Read the full story here

Comments

• javatyger
    javatyger Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I've always had my browser crashing on me. Everything that I've done to prevent it never helps. It always seems to happen when there are too much media(pictures, ads, videos, etc.) on a site. Damn annoying. It's the one thing about my iPhone that I absolutely hate.

• John J
    John J Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

It seams like safari crashes wen it's loading alot of content. I've tried all of the work around's listed above. Hope apple fix's it soon.

• Brandon
    Brandon Posts: 86
    via Wordpress

I've never had Safari crash on me...I guess i'm just lucky?

• brian
    brian Posts: 218
    via Wordpress

Wow, upgrade your OS. Restart often. Clear the cache. Was this written by an Apple tech?

Safari crashes no matter what. It is unstable, and Apple does not care. They only care about releasing new a new OS that voids jailbreaks.

Why not ask us to perform voodoo. It's work just as well.

• Dave Woodward
    Dave Woodward Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I have found that this site (www.iphonehacks.com) crashes quite frequently (1 in 2), and turning off javascript does appear to cure the issue. But I do find Javascript very useful on a number of sites, Google reader being one of them.

• daveuk87
    daveuk87 Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I agree with everyone else, I find if a pages is over 1MB safari tends to slow down, and if i try to scroll down before its loaded fully, it crashes.

• Frank
    Frank Posts: 215
    via Wordpress

I've had my iPhone for about a month (with the 2.1 firmware) and Safari has crashed about 5-10 times. I usually just go back to the page and it's fine.

As an editorial side note, your frequent use of the phrase "after the jump" is initially confusing (what jump?) and eventually annoying for those of us who navigate directly to the full articles rather than through your home page.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey Frank,

Point taken, no more "after the jump" :)

Thanks for your feedback.

cheers!

• Mister
    Mister Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Safari crashes whenever I load it with "too much" content and movement (zooming into page and moving the screen to find a section).

• Free Gadgets
    Free Gadgets Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

I have only had the iPhone for a few weeks but I have already noticed how unstable the browser is. I will try this fix and see how it helps

• mike
    mike Posts: 489
    via Wordpress

It would be nice to have the option to turn off loading of images. Those images that you do want to view, would be a tap away. IE has the option called "Show Pictures" under advanced tab in Internet option window.

• Kray-Z
    Kray-Z Posts: 85
    via Wordpress

Initially "after the jump" confused me but after a couple articles i figured it out and I've grown to like it. It's unique to this site. Don't take it out. It's the little signatures of the site that gives it personality and sets it aside from all the others. Its like the quirks of a author that lets you recognize them just by reading the book without having to read the name of the author.

• Gohans
    Gohans Posts: 18
    via Wordpress

safari SUCKS bad... it crashes a lot on my iphone, mostly when i browse a page with lot of content... it sucks...
    I hope Opera makes it to the list of Cydia apps, or even better... a version of the super browser Firefox!!!! then Apple will put matters on hands... VIVA EL FIREFOX!!!

• Peter
    Peter Posts: 110
    via Wordpress

reading a large PDF file also drops out, wondering if PDF reading ability which is inbuilt in the system is linked to safari and why it crashes.

• Rick Huizinga
    Rick Huizinga Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Safari crashes on me while trying to use this page! It's virtually useless.

• Pierre
    Pierre Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

Thank you. Since 2.1 my iPhone Safari had been working fine until yesterday, it went completely unstable (would crash in under 20 seconds).

I followed your tip: reset then clear Safari history, cookies and cache. Marvellous, I have just enjoyed 30 minutes of comedy on iPlayer. Simple, elegant solution. Keep up the good work. (",)

• dave
    dave Posts: 389
    via Wordpress

Try going to Ikeas website and select the option to find a store. That site crashes my iPhone on que every time.

None of the suggestions on this site helped, but I appreciate the effort.

I still like my iCrash - it is a beautiful design. Functionality is another issue.

• Paulo
    Paulo Posts: 13
    via Wordpress

Ha! my 3G Safari crashes the exact same way everyone else is describing! Too much info from the site and-- CRASH! particularly lots of media.

It is still the best browser on a phone. iPhones are kinda like a Ferrari, you're willing to put up with the flaws for all of the cool sexiness.

• Whoosh
    Whoosh Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

It seems to me that the problem runs a lot deeper than Safari.
    E.g., installing too many Cydia-based apps leads to problems comparable with the 'standard' Safari issues.
    My hunch would be that the iPhone lacks any kind of serious memory management. It should, of course, be able to use the full amount of available storage memory as swap space / virtual memory for applications. Obviously it can't.
    This underlying lack of infrastructure would explain why Apple isn't offering any kind of solace. It would lead to redesign of significant parts of the iPhone's OS.

Anyone with real inside knowledge out there who can comment on this?

• dave
    dave Posts: 389
    via Wordpress

Apples firmware has been unstable since 1.1.4. Nothing I've found or apparently anyone else "fixes" the problem for any length of time.

Apple is pushing out the 3G iPhone it can and using the world as a beta playground while it rapes our wallets.

• wes
    wes Posts: 53
    via Wordpress

I've had my Gs a week. Safari crashed for the first time yesterday. Tried the Home/Off reset and it worked. Safari came up fine. This morning when I tried to bring it up, it displayed the History/Bookmarkspage and when I try to enter a url it seems to load the page, but the page doesn't appear, just a no errors blank. Anyone run into this crash variation, and anyone know of a fix?

• Hils
    Hils Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Thanks - the reboot worked!

• Trax
    Trax Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Had a problem recently where Safari had become unresponsive, and i had to reboot to get it working again. And then it crashed shortly afterwards, possibly due to javascript. And this was with the latest OS.

• Sheree
    Sheree Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Safari on my son's new 3GS crashes on sites that have javascript, so I just disabled javascript in the settings>safari. Now the pages with javascript load fine, just can't use the javascript content.

• Alan
    Alan Posts: 46
    via Wordpress

Dear sir

It is my honour to search your company information from google.

We have new arrival, including iphone 4G parts, ipad parts.

Focusupply is an experienced exporting compay with specialiez in the supply of iphone parts,
    iphone case, ipad parts, ipad case, ipod and blackberry parts, blackberry case.

We not only promise the competitive price and quick shipment speed, but also promise the high quality.

We always focus on a long and win win cooperation, so providing full and best service is always
    our aim and we will do our best for it.

More information, you are welcome to www.focusupply.com

• D00B
    D00B Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Google.com is the only website that crash mine.but when I exit it quickly before safari crashes everything works and I use bing as a search engine

• Cb
    Cb Posts: 25
    via Wordpress
    Wow. Js shouldn't crash a browser, but this seems to be the culprit for me
  • techuelx
    techuelx Posts: 6
    via Wordpress
    thnx for this fix. now safari doesnt crash
  • sharon
    sharon Posts: 8
    via Wordpress
    Safari was constantly crashing on my few new Verizon iPhone4 all of the sudden. Nothing helped except for the option:"try clearing the Cache, Cookies and History"Problem solved. Thx!
  • Ann W
    Ann W Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    "Rebooting your iPhone (Hold Home+Lock until the Apple logo appears, about 8 seconds"Thanks - that worked for me!!