Apple Rejects iPhone version of Opera Mini from the App Store; Maybe Not Yet [Updated]

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageApple Rejects iPhone version of Opera Mini from the App Store; Maybe Not Yet [Updated]

Jon Stephenson von Tetzchner, co-founder and CEO of Opera told New York Times in an interview that a version of Opera Mini developed for the iPhone was rejected by Apple from the App Store. The iPhone version of Opera Mini would have been a direct competitor to iPhone's Safari browser....

Read the full story here

Comments

• The T
    The T Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Irrelevant, We Don't Care ...

• Raffi
    Raffi Posts: 15
    via Wordpress

they should release it on cydia

• Free Gadgets
    Free Gadgets Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

Great blog, I have only just come across this but having just purchased an iPhone I will be a regular visitor here.

• ahsan
    ahsan Posts: 14
    via Wordpress

Better, OPERA MINI should come to CYDIA or INSTALLER

Please release for CYdia or Installer so that we can enjoy opera mini.

Every application that gets rejected from apple itunes should be available on Cydia or Installer

• Nel
    Nel Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

This just gives further proof to the fact that Apple do not like competition.They sell iPhones locked to a provider that has a contract with them and now they do this...just crazy...

• se23
    se23 Posts: 19
    via Wordpress

Dunb they should release it. I tried to post here using my iphone and safari crashed 3, yes 3 times. I gave up and used my pc. Opera is the best 4 mobile

• James
    James Posts: 258
    via Wordpress

i need another browser that hopefully doesn't crash on me as often as safari has. pisses the hell out of me. at first i thought i had too many pages open, but it still crashes even with one dang page.

• nicolasl46
    nicolasl46 Posts: 25
    via Wordpress

what if Opera mini got rejected 'cause it included a flash player? Wouldn't that be fu..ed up?

• Vinko
    Vinko Posts: 17
    via Wordpress

I think this is not a good thing. Apple rejecting a major vendor's application without providing a reasonable explanation will potentially set off a backlash in the iPhone development community. Especially when it is with an application with a large fan base.

I too agree with the author of the article that Safari is very good and it is getting better by the day as the development of WebKit continues.

Having an open competitive environment is what made the Macintosh development community strong. Over the past 24+ years I had seen Macintosh software developers fails because they did not follow Apple's development guidelines. This is due to the fact that the Macintosh user community is extremely particular and critical on the applications that use.

I think Apple should allow Firefox and Opera to be on the iPhone, and then let the iPhone user community decides which will survive.

If Apple is confident enough of WebKit and Safari they will do as I had suggest.

• mike
    mike Posts: 489
    via Wordpress

You know i always here the good more then i hear the bad , i have a iphone and also have the gphone some things are good on iphone and others are good on the gphone my thing is be honest and stop making it seem like theres nothing better , make me think you work for apple !!!!! By the way in austin tmobile 3g is faster the att and that comes from network test i have it on both phones