Say Who Brings Voice-Dialing to the iPhone for Free

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageSay Who Brings Voice-Dialing to the iPhone for Free

One of the complaints about the iPhone from some users is its lack of voice-dialing capabilities. Dial Directions, a startup that provides the platform for voice-activated mobile services and devices has released their free voice-dialing iPhone App called Say Who to address this shortcoming of the iPhone. Speech recognition is...

Read the full story here

Comments

• dave
    dave Posts: 389
    via Wordpress

Isn't this exactly what Cactus does but without the internet conectivity?

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey Dave,

Cactus Voice Dialer is also a free voice-dialing application based on an open-source speech recognition engine called PocketSphinx.

However, it doesn't seem to be very accurate, it rarely works for me.

What has been your experience with Cactus?

cheers!

• Key
    Key Posts: 202
    via Wordpress
  • Simon Kowalewski
    Simon Kowalewski Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

This is totally useless if it can't be activated by the headset button. Voice dialling is used for situation where you cannot take the phone into the hand, go to home screen, launch an application, keep an on-screen button pushed an then confirm the result seconds later.

• mike
    mike Posts: 489
    via Wordpress

I like this app, it's nice for pulling up contacts when you dont feel like typing.

• Brett
    Brett Posts: 104
    via Wordpress

Thanks for reviewing SayWho. We're hopeful Apple will open its development tools to let us provide Bluetooth support for easier hands-free dialing and application usage. Feedback welcome: saywho@dialdirections.com

• Ed
    Ed Posts: 110
    via Wordpress

Could be a great app but takes to long to use. Press the iPhone home button to activate the iPhone display; press the Who button to launch the Say Who app; the message "initializing iphone microphone" is displayed for several seconds; then press and hold the button "press while speaking" and say the name or number; etc; release the button and wait several seconds; all possible entires are displayed with the most likely first; within a few seconds it will dial unless you over-ride by selecting one of the other numbers displayed (nice feature). The process took 20+ seconds. With my 2004 $29.00 Nokia I simply pressed a button said the name listened to it repeat the name back and auto-dial all within 3 seconds. Come on guys, the iPhone is better than this...

(2G iPhone)

• mrbill
    mrbill Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

As the developers stated above they need to be given access to the innards of the Bluetooth stuff. They need to be native in the OS so they can interact with these new Automobile systems like Fords Sync and the GM Bluetooth now in most cars.

It needs to be able to be activated through the cars button on the steering wheel or the button via the bluetooth headset.

As far as using the net to make it work...well all I can say there is they need to look into free-standing voice recognition...would not rely on being netted up all the time.

But it works great right now, just need to get access to the bluetooth system innards. Hope Apple lets you get into it.

Ive sent them a note.

• chelsea SF
    chelsea SF Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Love me some Say Who! Makes dialing while driving (or sitting at a stop light) safer and convenient. I get an error message when the connection is bad, but otherwise it works every time. You can say the person's name followed by which phone # you want (jane doe, work -- for example) and even tho a number is listed as "mobile" it recognizes it if you say "cell". Best part? It's FREE!!