International iPhone Data Usage Tips to Avoid $3000 Bills

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageInternational iPhone Data Usage Tips to Avoid $3000 Bills

You might have heard about some horror stories about iPhone users receiving $3000 bills for international roaming. AT&T is sending out emails to its iPhone customers with data usage tips on how to reduce bills while traveling out of US. Here is what the email message from AT&T had to...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Chris Wade
    Chris Wade Posts: 50
    via Wordpress

The simplest one (and this prevents voice charges too) that I have seen is simply remove your sim card before leaving on your trip, with Fring and a Skype account you will be able to call from anywhere that you can get Wifi Access. But you will not get dinged from people leaving you voicemails at the international rate nor will you get unexpected data charges. Of course, be sure to keep your Sim Card in a safe place.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey Chris,

That's a good tip, especially the idea of using VOIP apps like Fring.

cheers!

• biruhiko
    biruhiko Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

When I upgrade my 1st gen iPhone to a 3G, I plan to give my old one to a friend who doesn't have a data plan. I'm going to try the solution listed here for her:

http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/using-an-iphone-without-the-data-plan/

• LOS1NeR
    LOS1NeR Posts: 32
    via Wordpress

This is where Att needs to learn how to help their LOYAL customers. T-mobile at least lets you know when your gonna run out of your minutes. Something so simple like sending a quick text msg. to let you know "hey dumbass" your almost out of your minutes would be realy nice.

• LOS1NeR
    LOS1NeR Posts: 32
    via Wordpress

This is where Att needs to learn how to help their LOYAL customers. T-mobile at least lets you know when your gonna run out of your minutes. Something so simple like sending a quick text msg. to let you know "hey dumbass" your almost out of your minutes would be realy nice.

• Nukie
    Nukie Posts: 28
    via Wordpress

Removing the sim card is a brilliant idea. And if you want less expensive phone rates overseas here are some other ideas.

1. If you phone is unlocked and can use other SIM cards, purchase a SIM card for your destination country. Swapping your phone's SIM card for a SIM card from your destination country can save you money. You'll pay rock-bottom rates on any call you make and incoming calls are free.

2. Purchase a prepaid, disposable phone. They cost $25 and less. You can find them in airport kiosks and many overseas convenience stores.

3. Purchase a cheap calling card. Calling cards, which cost $5 and up, are easy to find. They're sold in convenience stores, airports and even post offices.

• Jay
    Jay Posts: 295
    via Wordpress

Cant purchase a SIM card overseas for the 3G. remember they cant be unlocked yet, as for 1st gen yes you can do that given that you have unlocked it.

I learnred this long ago as i was one of the first that got the 11st gen when i came out. After a software update late in 2007/early 2008 it added the data roaming option on/off. prior to this, there was no way to turn on or off, so if you had your phone on and the sim installed, it woul use date, hey even when you have it lcoked and screen off it s downloading data. The only thing is to pull out the sim. I just returned form an overseas trip this week, and as i always do, i pulled my sim, just in case and tunred of data roaming. i used fring with skype and SIP, while oconnected to WIFI, available at the hotels and resorts in Dom Rep, Skype wored great clear and at just 2.5 centa a minute its pratcially free! SIP was good too, and that was totoally free depending on which voip you use. As far as text messages, I sent them through the AIM app...worked great too. I also had Beejive for Instan messages. I have to admit, It all worked great, the only minor thing was every time i turned on fring i had to log out of skyp and log back in to make the calls or it would work..kinda cumbersome. Running these programs, i noticed that i chewed up battery more than when im home with the SIM card in. Not sure why? the only donwfall is that people coupld not call me....nothing and $18 bucks cant buy you for skype, but i idint want to by that in case it didint work...IT DID.