iPhone Dev Team: Users who want to Unlock iPhone 3G should NOT Update their iPhones with Firmware 2.

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhone Dev Team: Users who want to Unlock iPhone 3G should NOT Update their iPhones with Firmware 2.2

Apple released iPhone firmware 2.2 last night which includes most of the features we had heard about in the last few months such as Google Street View, Podcast over-the-air download and includes fix for the Safari crashes and the iPhone Safari exploit that was reported yesterday. However, earlier this week...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Ed
    Ed Posts: 110
    via Wordpress

Stop talking about it and lets do it. I have heard this for a while now but still no word on when it will get done. The Dev team is the answer to the crooked apple corp. bastards. Hacking is the American way.

• mt
    mt Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

Thank you for the warning and advice! For those of us who foolishly went ahead and clicked update without thinking about it, is it possible to undo a firmware update, e.g. to roll back to an unlocked 2.1 or factory settings)? I have been searching around online, but haven't found any clear instructions or explanation of what is/isn't possible, and how to do it.
    Any help would be great! Thanks!

• Mario
    Mario Posts: 101
    via Wordpress

dunno why you erased my post ????
    screen shots of the jailbroken 2.2 is here
    http://www.iphone3g-mods.com/

and you cant go back to 2.1 cause the modem will not work making your phone into an ipod

• iPhone Gamer
    iPhone Gamer Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Weird for them to give an official, unofficial warning like that. Maybe I'm missing something.

• Paul
    Paul Posts: 239
    via Wordpress

If an unlocked 2g iphone is updated with itunes then all unofficial apps will still be wiped out..is that correct?

• Jason
    Jason Posts: 585
    via Wordpress

"2G (1st gen) iPhone users who cannot wait for the new PwnageTool or QuickPwn can safely “Update” to 2.2 using iTunes, this will preserve the existing activation. However “restoring” to 2.2 using iTunes will return the iPhone to the unactivated state. If you are in any doubt just wait. NB: This works for 2G ONLY." dont do this i updated just as this said but i finished up with an unactivated iphone can anyone tell me what to do i tried restoring to 2.1 but wont let me ;(

• colin
    colin Posts: 28
    via Wordpress

so if I update I won't lose my activation! but will I lose my unlock?
    1st gen iphone

• mt
    via Wordpress

Mario, thanks for the info! Does that mean the modem is updated separately from the main firmware (though both are part of the 2.2 update)? Is there any way to roll-back the modem drivers?

As it is, because I'm outside of the US where the phone was bought, it's basically an ipod now anyways because i can't afford to use my AT&T sim & account here.

• Grey
    Grey Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I read the post and was hoping for clarification on the 1st gen...

It said we could "safely" update instead of restoring. Is there a how-to anywhere about that? I didnt know you could update it and not restore it.

I'm dying to update, but I think I should probably wait... can anyone help me to not pull my hair out?

• GeO
    GeO Posts: 24
    via Wordpress

I dont understand what you mean when you say this: "However, earlier this week the dev team had warned iPhone 3G users who are looking forward to unlock their iPhone 3Gs to avoid upgrading to iPhone firmware 2.2 until they don't give an all clear."

What do you mean when you say, "Until they dont give an all clear"? Do you mean "Until they give an all clear"

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

@Geo,

I was referring to their post earlier in the week.
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/11/devteam-warning.html

The iPhone dev team probably wanted to take a look at the release version of iPhone firmware 2.2.

However, post the release they have confirmed that iPhone 3G users who want to unlock their iPhone should NOT upgrade to the latest firmware.

I hope this clarifies.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

@Grey,

The iPhone dev team has mentioned that it is safe to update to the latest firmware if you have the 1st generation iPhone as it does not upgrade the baseband firmware.

But they still need to release their latest Pwnage tool to jailbreak and unlock iPhone firwmare 2.2.

So if you cannot wait then you can upgrade but it would mean that you will lose the jailbreak and also the unofficial iPhone apps that you might have installed on your 1st gen iPhone. If you have unlocked your 1st gen iPhone then it would also mean that it will bring your iPhone back to the locked state.

So it is advisable to wait for them to release the latest hacking tools to jailbreak and unlock 1st generation iPhone running firmware 2.2.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

@Colin,

If you update your unlocked 1st gen iPhone with the latest firmware then it will bring your iPhone back to the locked state.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

@Paul,

You are right. If you update your unlocked 2g iPhone with the latest firmware then you will lose the jailbreak and also wipe out all the unofficial iPhone apps.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

@MT,

Sorry to hear about that, we will post the instructions here if there is a way to downgrade to iPhone firmware 2.1.

• Charles
    Charles Posts: 37
    via Wordpress

hey, ahm my iphone is updated last night and i looked at the version its 2.2 and its suppose to be 2.1. i know theres this new version 2.2. ahm can i jailbreak my iphone? i havent tried jailbraking it before and if my iphone has possibilities of jailbreaking it will be my first time to jailbreak my iphone. can you help me please? thanks

• Charles
    Charles Posts: 37
    via Wordpress

hey, ahm my iphone is updated last night and i looked at the version its 2.2 and its suppose to be 2.1. i know theres this new version 2.2. ahm can i jailbreak my iphone? i havent tried jailbraking it before and if my iphone has possibilities of jailbreaking it will be my first time to jailbreak my iphone. can you help me please? thanks

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

@Charles,

The iPhone dev team have not yet released their hacking tools to jailbreak iPhone firmware 2.2.

We will let you as soon they release them.

• amar
    amar Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

so if we by accident downloaded 2.2 with our unlocked 3g's, there is no way to roll it back to get our phones to work again?

• amar
    via Wordpress

so if we by accident downloaded 2.2 with our unlocked 3g's, there is no way to roll it back to get our phones to work again?

• amar
    via Wordpress

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 383
    via Wordpress

man.........i read from a false source that it was ok to update to firmware 2.2 with a jailbroken iphone 3g...well i updated it foolishly and my phone isn't jailbroken anymore will the next pwnage update deactivate the baseband update for iphone 3g users who mistakinly already updated to 2.2 from itunes? or for only the ones that left it at 2.1?

• Jason
    Jason Posts: 585
    via Wordpress

I found this interesting and it works ;)
    I spend a full day trying to recovery my iPhone after upgrading it to 2.2 and finally I was able to go back to 2.1.

So I decided to share it with all impatient morons “like me” in the world; who upgraded their iPhone 3G to 2.2 and lost their unlocked capability; here is the resolution:

1- Download the iPhone 2.1 firmware from: http://www.spaziocellulare.com/ispazio/download-firmwares-iphone-3g/
    2- Download QuickPwn21-1 from: http://thepiratebay.org/user/iphonedev/
    3- Connect your iphone to your computer and turn it OFF
    4- Restart your iphone in recovery by following these steps:
    • Connect your iPhone to your computer
    • Turn iPhone off
    • Hold power and home together for 10 seconds (exactly)
    • Release power but keep holding home until the computers beeps (observed on a PC) as a USB device is recognized.
    • At no point will the display come on. Now your restore should work.

5- From iTunes; Restore to iPhone firmware 2.1. Hold down “Shift” button and press the Restore button at the same time.
    6- Choose the iphone 2.1 firmware you just downloaded in Step 1.
    7- Wait till it finish. You will get one of the following errors: 1011, 1013, 1015, you can ignore them.
    8- Your iPhone is restored back to Firmware 2.1. Now close iTunes
    9- Unlock your iPhone using QuickPwn for iPhone ver 2.1.

Regards

• mt
    via Wordpress

@ Jason

Thanks for the walkthrough, it sounds promising! Can you tell us if your approach also returned your modem firmware back to the 2.1 version? The 2.2 upgrade changes the modem firmware on 3G iphones to version 02.28.00, and this is the reason that approaches like turbosim stop workign with the update.

If zapping the phone with QuickPwn can also roll back the modem firmware then I think most of us who goofed up are all set!

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

@James,

Thanks for the tip and the step-by-step guide.

We have just posted a Step-by-Step Guide to Downgrade from iPhone Firmware 2.2 to Firmware 2.1 based on your guide.
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/11/downgrade-22-21.html

Thanks again.

• ganoicha
    ganoicha Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I'm also having the problem with accidentally updated to iphone 3g to 2.2. I've tried everything I can find on the internet but I still can't get my iphone to make calls. I can get wifi, email, and all that, but making calls..I used the added device(don't know what it's called) to my t-mobile sim. It would fliker T-Mobile fo 3 seconds and disappear.

Any help to get calls is appreciated.

• Mahfouz
    Mahfouz Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it's about the f***ing baseband u guys and da ppl talk'n about da 2g phone screw 2g's we'r here for the 3g ..n plzzzzzzzzzz can some one tellme if the new pwnage with the custom firmware works for the ppl who already updated their baseband to 2.8 ar for the ppl who still running 2.1 firmware p;zzzzz um starting 2 panic ... :

• Chris L (Switzerland)
    via Wordpress

thanks a lot Jason ! your step by step guide worked for me ..i have now down graded from 2.2 to 2.1 many many thanks .

you are the best ..cheers

• ghost6 one
    ghost6 one Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

hey has anyone checked if it did unlock the 3g iphone ?

• Bambang SOEBAGIO
    Bambang SOEBAGIO Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

Dear JASON,

Please help me I, after down load iPhone1,1_2.1_5F136_Restore.ipsw it was in ZIP, so I could not locate that file after it was unzipped.

I am using MAC, to restore to downgrade to version 2.1 please advice, or should I use window ???

Thanks
    Bambang Soebagio
    flightwatc@gmail.com